Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

O/B Steering Geometry

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

O/B Steering Geometry

Old 07-12-2006, 06:10 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default O/B Steering Geometry

Has anyone noticed when hooking up linkages on an outboard (K/B in my case) they dont line up when you turn it left or right?

I have a problem with mine and I dont know the answer.

Straight ahead, both links are the right length.

Turn the motor left or right with one side of the linkage off, and its way off the hole.

I am sure this has to do with the pivot point on the motor vs. the steering arm, plus the double servo arm hole to hole spacing is narrower than the steering arm on the motor.

Cable steering in a boat usually has a heavy spring incorporated into the steering cable to compensate for this.

Any suggestions or will I have to keep hearing my servo crunch?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Jerry Dunlap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O/B Steering Geometry

I've been hooking up r/c obs since 1976 and have never even thought about "Steering Geometry." I use solid rod connections. I use the second hole out in the servo arm and the last hole out in the K&B arm. It's worked for me and unless I over turn the servo and stall it I don't hear any "crunching."

Check out the steering installation on the TS2 by going to aquacraftmodels.com and clicking on manuals. Click on the TS2 manual and page through it till it shows how to hook up the steering.

JD
Old 07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Grimracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O/B Steering Geometry

What your seeing is correct.. The only way to make it not do that is to have the same distance between the rods on the servo as well as the tiller arm of the motor. Also the pivot point of the tiller arm is best over the center of the motor mount pivot.

Having said that most of the time you end up with about a 3to1 rate. The resin for this is that servos typically are not tough or strong enough to have a 1to1 rate.

You will be OK with what JD has stated.

Grimracer
Aquacraft Boat Designer