Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

good noob boat?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

good noob boat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:35 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default good noob boat?

I have been into nitro cars for years now(mainly racing) getting bored so I would like to take to water. Would this boat be ok to start w/ or would I be getting in over my head.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=207132
Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: good noob boat?

It seems like an ok deal. The hull has been around a while, and OS engines are pretty reliable. What's not possible to tell from the pictures is how well it was setup, has the engine been well cared for, etc. With boat engines, if they are not taken care of, it's very easy to end up with rusted bearings. Another factor is what you plan to do. If this is just something to throw in the lake for fun, it'll be fine. If you're thinking about competing, as you say you have done with cars, it's not really up to current standards, so you'll be the slow boat. Also keep in mind that for the asking price, several RTR choices are available.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, what Chuck said. I'd also ask for more pix, like the transom and interior shots minimum.
Keep in mind that you will be needing extras just to get it going, a 12-volt battery and a hand-held electric starter. Use a fuel made for boats as most car fuel doesn't have enough oil in it. They engines love the nitro so 40-50% would be great but you can get by with less if you just want to run for fun.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if I can get more pics.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Normally I would recommend a small nitro vee. (like a hammer) But since you already have the equipment and the nitro know how, why not try something like the Miss Vegas? It's an extremely well made boat that will teach you about thrust angles, prop depth, prop selection and how they largely affect performance. All your car equipment except fuel will get you floating, meaning RTR $280. This should get you over 30mph.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMUN8**&P=ML

Ryan