Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Dallas Boat Clubs?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Dallas Boat Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
AGSWON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dallas Boat Clubs?

Anybody know if there are any clubs around the Dallas / FT. Worth metroplex that meets to race boats? I've got my Twisted Liquid Vegas parts coming and need to race. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Dallas Boat Clubs?

To find clubs, go to the IMPBA http://www.impba.net or NAMBA http://www.namba.com site. Each is active in different parts of North America.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The only one that I know of in the area is in North Carrollton (sp.) which is mostly a gas boat club.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Torquer

There's Dallas RC Thunderboats. They just held the Carrolton Classic Division race a few weeks ago. They have club meets once a month and the schedule is on their website. You'll need to give them a call to find out which pond they're going to be running. They run on a few different ponds around here. I've spoke with a few of the members but I have yet to make it to a meet.

http://clubs.intlwaters.com/dallasrcthunderboats/

They mostly run nitro, but have some electrics as well.

-Will
Old 09-04-2006, 07:52 PM
AGSWON

Thanks Torquer. I'm in Lewisville by the way. I'll have to give them a call.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Torquer

Eric Perez lives just a couple of miles from me here in Denton. I spoke with him a couple of times. Seems like a nice guy. If you’re looking for a place to mess around and do some tuning on Lake Lewisville, I found a great spot by Hickory Creek Park (right down the street from the biggest house in Texas). I was planning on getting out there today but the more than welcomed rain kept me around the house. I normally get out there right at sunrise to take advantage of the glass like conditions. If you do GPS the coordinates are N:33*06.478 by W:97*03.702.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
AGSWON

I live right off FM 407 near the lake, I'll have to check out that park when my new products from Twisted Liquid arrive. Thanks for the tip. I found a really good pond just east of IH 35E on Corporate Drive. There are some businesses back there, but nobody works at them on Saturday and Sunday morning. I've been there about 4 or 5 times and never seen anybody.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 AM
007clint

WOW! There ARE a couple of other nitro racers in the Dallas Texas area! I am in Plano. Just wanted to make sure you knew about the race in Houston this weekend - there are supposed to be 6-8 Miss Vegas hydroplanes in an RTR class.

Also, where do you practice? I think I have been to the pond off of 35E - is it just past the old Mike's Hobbys location?

I have a Miss Vegas, a Miss LLumar, another Miss Vegas hull that I am going to build up with a 21 into a (hopefully competitive) Sport 20 this winter, and an electric retrieval tugboat - what do you run?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Torquer

Well, I wouldn’t really consider myself a “racer”. Maybe “basher” would be a little more accurate…;^) I’ll be looking at getting together with the Dallas Thunderboats next season. I want to get a little more rudder time before hitting the water with the race boys.

Agswon and I ran the boats last weekend at the pond he mentioned about on the East side of I-35 at Corporate Dr. It’s a real nice pond to run on and it was a blast. We were talking about running the boats over by Mikes at McInnish Park next time out.

I’m running a Mean Machine with a .21 and another Mean Machine electric. I also have a project beater mono that’ll have a .18. Agswon runs a real nice Miss Vegas with some mod. We’re both still getting familiar with our boats and getting them dialed in. It really goes without saying that I had a total blast running the boats last weekend, even with a blowover and other minor problems!

I’m sure that Awswon will chime in on this and we can coordinate a time to go and play soon.

-Will
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 AM
AGSWON

Next time y'all want to run just chime in. Torquer has my cell #. Hey Torquer I went to that McKinnish Park last Friday and it guess my batteries were low in the receiver and lost signal at full throttle about 100' away from me. Needless to say, the boat is OK, but it did run up the bank about 5' on the other side of the pond. She's ready to go again now. Oh, I went and bought some 50% nitro too!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Torquer

Glad to hear that you didn’t bust the boat up! How did it do on 50%? I’m planning on swinging by Mikes and get some nitro after work today.

Anyone feel like running the boats this Sunday mid to late AM before the Cowboy Game?

-Will
Old 10-04-2006, 05:57 AM
007clint

One of these days, it would be great to get all three of us together to practice. I have been practicing on the pond behind the industrial building on the northeast corner of Luna and Corporate (just west of 35E and close to Mike's Hobby Shop). This weekend, I will be in Houston racing in my first race at the Lone Star club's pond.

The McKinnish Park pond has buoys but also a sign saying it has to be a 'city approved' race to use your model boat there - have you had any problems there? I would much prefer practicing with buoys.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 PM
AGSWON

I haven't been run off yet, but I usually don't stay that long. I don't think they would give you any problems at the pond. There is nothing around it that would make it a nuisance to anybody.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:11 PM
007clint

Hey - I WON the 18 Scale Hydro race in Houston. Five boats and five heats - in order finish - 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st, and 2nd. Wow - first race - what a rush!

I did talk to a Dallas Thunderboat member and he said that they practice at the park all of the time and haven't had any problems. He also said the club meets on the second Tuesday of the month and then does a fun race the Sunday after.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Torquer

Congrats on the win!

Looks like I may have a window of opportunity to play with the boat early this coming Saturday morning if ya’ll feel like swapin’ some paint.

-Will
Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
AGSWON

007, how fast do you think your boat is running? I would like to see it run just so I have some idea what to expect from mine.

I'm surprised Torquer wants to race after I took him out in turn 2 causing his boat to do a barrel roll, but landing right side up and still running. He wasn't joking about trading paint.

Hey Torquer I fixed mine Sunday afternoon, but I am still waiting on a new 3 blade prop from Twisted Liquid.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
007clint

ORIGINAL: Torquer

Congrats on the win!

Looks like I may have a window of opportunity to play with the boat early this coming Saturday morning if ya’ll feel like swapin’ some paint.

-Will
Saturday morning sounds like fun but I will have to wait until Friday to know if I can. I also have to see about getting some better nylon ties for my exhaust coupler since I seem to be melting them with each run. I can try richening up the mixture but I didn't want to touch the needle much between heats because it was running so well.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM
007clint

ORIGINAL: AGSWON

007, how fast do you think your boat is running? I would like to see it run just so I have some idea what to expect from mine.

I'm surprised Torquer wants to race after I took him out in turn 2 causing his boat to do a barrel roll, but landing right side up and still running. He wasn't joking about trading paint.

Hey Torquer I fixed mine Sunday afternoon, but I am still waiting on a new 3 blade prop from Twisted Liquid.
I don't know how fast it is because I didn't have time to install my electronics prior to the race since I just had enough time to break in the engine and tune up the boat prior to the race and I don't have a radar gun.

By the way, I heard that there is going to be a 18 hydro fun race or two up in OK City this Saturday - I can't go but let me know if you want more information.