Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Winter Build - Rigger -

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Winter Build - Rigger -

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Winter Build - Rigger -

You're going to make me go downstairs aren't you! The tub is 24" and from the transom to the tips of the front sponson about 25-3/8".
Old 11-18-2006, 09:11 PM
gooycheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a really nice rigger there Ron. I hope mine turns out half that nice. Looking at your boat I think mine might be alittle small, the tub is only 16 1/2 and the sponsons are only gonna put it around maybe 18. What would you say the tub height should be, I got mine at about 1 1/16 is that too short( will the receiver/servos fit). Is it ok if the motor sticks out the top about 1 1/2 inches?

Paul

The wife actually thinks the sponsons look good too.

She thinks my hobby is stupid ...... lol............ I could be at the Bar!!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Ron Olson

You didn't see it close up! I've got lots of room in the radio box but have tiny servos and battery pack in there but not a lot of room for the fuel cell in front but a 4oz. tank would squeeze in there.
My tub height is about 1-7/8". Laying down the servos is probably going to be your only choice with it that low but as long as it floats it should be OK.

They (almost) all think that our hobby is stupid but we could be doing a lot worse things with our time and money.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:43 PM
toyotatruckin

Im right there with the wife as mine dont like it eather,,BUT in a way she does she told me she likes it for the reason that im home more working on my rc and she kinda likes going to the club to watch the boats run and BS with the other wives there..
Old 11-19-2006, 10:53 AM
gooycheese

Well now I am not happy, I have been thinking about what I can build now and just figured out the fuel tank is gonna be an issue. I don't wanna change boat design in the middle of the build, I don't wanna add any height to the tub that might change the boats characteristics. I only have 2.4x1.5x.9 for dimensions I was gonna try and make a very thin walled brass tank, if I put a nipple and the bottom right corner and the top left corner would that work(might have to be an extended nipple on bottom right to fit under rear boom). Filling the take can be done thru the pressure nipple? Geeeezzzzz this starting to get tough, also think I am gonna have to modify the top and move the radio box wall back a little gotta be able to get to the collet. Gonna have to wait and see what the motor and everything attached to it is gonna look like size wise. Ok gonna start cutting out tub stuff today.

Paul
Old 11-19-2006, 12:18 PM
gooycheese

Now battery packs for the receiver can I get a 5 aaa cells 6 volt 750mah, will that work with hitec plug and 22awg wire? Or would 400mah be better? I can go all the way down too 150mah, will this be enough power to run the electronics in the boat? Thanks

Paul
Old 11-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Ron Olson

Fill the tank through the carb line, not the pressure line. If you try filling throught the pressure line you will flod the engine or even if you have the line removed, all you will do is pump the fuel right out of the tank.
You can get away with a 150 mah pack. A buddy uses these in his .21 and .80 monos. Me, I'd rather have at least 600 mah packs but he's run through a day of racing with these packs.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
gooycheese

Sweet thanks Ron I will try the 750mah, cheapbatteries.com has them shipped for about $16.

Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 AM
toyotatruckin

well started building the tub Im only going to have up and down adjustment on the front sponson tube leaving the rear one spot here is a picture so far its not a good one to much flash but you get the idea from it going to give the zpoxy a try for sealing it up its the thinnest epoxy I could find around here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79410.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	563542  
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 PM
toyotatruckin

still not done with the tub yet but here is an update, cross braces are in and the bottom skin on, working on tube support for the front and the extra width over the plans works great as it lets me use a pull started engine, still not sure if im going with the aquacraft .18 or if ill swap out the os .18 from my wildthing.

Name:	Bz78323.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	563928  
Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM
unclecrash

Lookin good Mike are you using the zpoxy to glue everything together or tackin it with c/a?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:57 PM
toyotatruckin

95% of everything so has been 5 min epoxy the other 5% has been medium CA when I get the inside of the tub the way I want it Ill give it a good finnish coat of zpoxy Im also thinking about glassing all the skin seams instead of putting extra braces in it would keep the weight down and stronger joints dont need any seams splitting after running it and zpoxy is thin enough for glass work
Old 11-20-2006, 09:31 PM
gooycheese

Mike looks really good, Im not to happy toms boat is really big next to mine.
Not sure what im gonna do, I made a fuel tank tonight and I am sorta embarrassed it looks ****ty lol. So I am gonna have to modify something somewhere to fit a real tank in there. I cant believe toms boat is so much bigger in everyway. Ohhhhhh well live and learn i just hope this thing will float when its done.

Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
toyotatruckin

Just build the boat to your specs, thats what Im doing just using toms plans for the base design then going from there, trial and error when you start doing it this way but thats the fun of it...
On your tank how are you building it? I was going to try and heat a suliven tank with a heat gun and mold it to fit not sure if it will work or not but I have a 4 oz tank around here to try with..
Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 PM
unclecrash

Here's an Idea I will probably get the smallest tank I can find in 4oz and then redesign the front. Im probably going to make the tub sides rake up towards the engine almost like a cowl just enough to hide the tank. With a removable hatch to acess the adjustments for the sponsons. and toremove the tank. Just my two pennys Dave
Old 11-20-2006, 10:24 PM
gooycheese

Well I made a brass tank out of 1/32 , but it looks bad and I think it is heavy. I think I might try this tank, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRU36&P=7 but it is a little tall and I have a really tight space to fit this in. Well if it all works, I will have one little bitty nitro rigger. I just hope it will float when i get to that point Thank Mike I have been getting a little flustered, I'm trying to do this really nice but it keeps falling apart in a sense.

thanks Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 10:49 PM
toyotatruckin

on the tank size your going with a .09 or.10 right well my os .18 has a 4oz tank and we have a regulation course set up at our club I can get aprox 7-7 1/2 laps from it which is right on key with a race..knock it down to your size I would try to find a 3 oz tank 2 might be pushing it and remember your break-in time on the motor wont pull very long runs with these small tanks... one of my LHS has been in rc planes forever and I think they still have a few small metal tanks in shop from back in the day. Ill go check it out tommarow..If you want me to see if they have a tank the size you need post the size of space your trying to work with.I dont have much hight to work with in mine eather..
Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 PM
gooycheese

Mike thanks, but its a crazy size from front sponson to back is 2 3/8 height from front to back is 9/16 to 15/16 and width is 1 13/16. I would have to modify just to fit the tank I had showed. I think I will do what ever it takes to fit a 2oz in , I gotta do it. maybe this will work, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU67&P=7

Thanks Paul
Old 11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
toyotatruckin

that should work ok Ill let you know what I come up with tommarow
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM
toyotatruckin

bracing is almost done and holes in the front longer for up and down adjustment I still need to put a brace or two on top before I seal it and put the top on I doubled the sides where the motor mount will go sides are 1/8" and doublers are 1/16" also in the very front cavity before I glue on the top I am going to seal a piece of pink foam in it

Name:	Yw69103.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	564138  
Old 11-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Ron Olson

Look to see if he has some of the old tanks that they used to use on control line planes. They're tapered so it might be what you're looking for.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM
toyotatruckin

well I might just end up trying to build my own tank as well cant find anything that will hold 3/4oz and fit without having to build a cowl to hid it I am wanting to keep it streamline.. whats the news on a dynamite .12 spd car engine is it any good it has a threaded shaft and would drink less fuel...
Old 11-21-2006, 06:10 PM
gooycheese

Well Mike your boat is looking Really Good. Yes I am gonna have to mod the front somehow to make a fuel tank fit, 9/16-15/16 is just way to small for a tank to fit and I need more than a little spit cup........lol. I am looking into hardware now, Tom said solinger wont work so well and thats what I was planing so now I'm looking again Question : the strut has to be a certain distance from the transom, and how about the position of the rudder is there a distance it has to be? Also the rudder should be within the tub width correct?

Thanks Paul
Old 11-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

Mike thanks, but its a crazy size from front sponson to back is 2 3/8 height from front to back is 9/16 to 15/16 and width is 1 13/16. I would have to modify just to fit the tank I had showed. I think I will do what ever it takes to fit a 2oz in , I gotta do it. maybe this will work, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU67&P=7

Thanks Paul
I use the rigid version of that tank in my Lil Rascal, that has an OS .10 FSR engine in it... It aint pretty, but this is how Dumas set it up...

Sean

Name:	Wu60470.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	564551  
Old 11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
gooycheese

Yeah I could leave the "hood" open , but your rigger looks alot bigger than mine is gonna be. but your style could possibly work for me I will have to think about it.

Thanks Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.