Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Baby Rigger Build Log

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Baby Rigger Build Log

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Sean Bowf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baby Rigger Build Log

The pics don't work for me. Says forbidden...

Sean
Old 12-29-2006, 10:35 PM
gooycheese

Yes , I don't get any of the pics either. These or the last ones of the motor comparisons

Paul
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Sean Bowf

I am sure it is pretty late for this... but attached you will see a picture of some flex cables with stub shafts attached. These cables came from Dumas and are part of the Lil Rascal hardware kit. The stub shaft will ride inside a 3/16th inch stuffing box (shown in pic). These cable assemblies are only $5.50 each. Part number is 44-120 and it is part of hardware kit #2333. Thought they might come in handy for others building small Riggers.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50547.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	610208  
Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 AM
Woodmandan2

Tom u know whats funny there are people here all the way in CHINA building your boat... and heck i dunt even kno em!!!
heres the link

http://bbs.5imx.com/bbs/viewthread.p...extra=page%3D9

dan
Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
TomMoorehouse

Dan Collins.... do I know you? Where did you go to high school?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 AM
Woodmandan2

He he, thats kinda funny, espacilly because i havent gone to high school yet, he he, i think i am gonna go to Grosse Ile High School. He he I have a question will a 40a esc with 30a continous current rating work for an electri version???
Dan

EDIT: Just started construction on mine, its not gonna be nitro because i have no idea where i could get a nitro wtercooled engine, and starter belts here in china ( even tho its all made here) so i think i am gonna make it brushless. I am problay going to use one of those boat like brushless motors, but for helichopper use, because they have em here. I am also going to problay be using that 40a esc, or i may go and buy a 60a one if i can. Oh yea the length of mine is 20 inches. Do you think thats an ok size for brushless??? its problay gonna go relly fast if i get it all right. Ill post pics of the brushless motor i may use lata.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 AM
gooycheese

If your rigger you are building is going to be a .12 it doesnt need water cooling any .12 car engine with a threaded shaft would work But yes you should build what is easiest for you to get your parts for. Good Luck Have Fun !!!

Paul
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Woodmandan2

how would that work if it had a threaded shaft, how would it go in right??? Where would i attach the flywheel, are flywheels fer boats threaded? sry ive never had a nitro boat, only electric, and nitro cars + trucks. I also have some questions for Tom. I am building your 6-7 cell version of your boat, but it does not have the side views, so i have no idea how big to build the sides, and the bottom. So what is everyone doing about this, because all of the boats i see have different curves, and if the curves are wrong, does that baisicly screw the whole thing up? I am going to gp get some balsa tomoorow. Also what kind of rod are we soposed to attach the outrigger things? a wooden dowel, steel pipe, or CF rod?? I got some cf rod from an old airplane that never got off the ground, but i can only make one. So the other one i should make wooden i think???, or both wooden??? I may go nitro if they got the parts here for em. I still got to get hardware for the back, but i may just make the strut myself, and then try to find a rudder.

The brushless motor i am looking at

http://www.rcsky.net/blog_viewone.asp?cpid=10&id=20098

HEy i would take this into the electric fourm but there arent any current threads like this made up, so mods dont change it please

Dan
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 AM
toyotatruckin

Dont use wooden sponson booms!!!! Not strong enough!!! CF or fiberglass is good Mine is about 1 1/2" tall tub side at the high point the transom is 1" tall 2/3/4" wide
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Woodmandan2

Alright so i think i may use cf then. Im just gonna need another rod. Why is wood not strong enough???thanks for the specs im gonna go get wood once the place opens.
Dan

EDIT sorry for the unclearness of that post, i am going to go and get wood for the sponsoons, not the rods, and the body. Would wood be ok for the sponsoons because it says use a how wire cutting jig and cut foam, but i dont got nethier. I may even start ordering brushless motors from the usa from united hobbies, because thier motors are so darn CHEAP!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 PM
gooycheese

The boat you are attempting to make should do around 40+mph, the wood booms would not be strong enough. The flywheel isn't threaded no but the coupler is which holds the flywheel in place. On Toms website he has a walk-through on how to assemble his boats this is the link http://firefighterboats.com/instructions.php I would use this as a reference for questions if you aren't using this already. You could try this link , there are some rigger plans of Toms to look at here http://new.intlwaters.com/freeplans.htm also you will need a cad viewer this is a good viewer that is easy to use that could give you dimensions (you will have to use the features to get the dimensions but if you are a young person this should be almost like second nature to you ) http://www.deltacad.com/index.html . Well I hope this stuff helps a little for you

Paul
Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Woodmandan2

Thanks, I have deltacad, and thats what i use to veiw it already, but it doesent give me the dimensions. I found out that the .07 version has the drawings for the tub, the sponsoons, and the rear sponsoons, but the 6 cell doesent? If there is a way to make it show specs, what do i have to do to make deltacad do that? I did not get any work done over the weekend, because i had the flu, and i could barely even eat.
Thanks
Dan
Old 02-05-2007, 01:36 AM
gooycheese

OK on deltacad you have the select,edit,view,point etc etc tabs goto the dimension tab. now when in the dimension screen you can choose dimensions from the left to right or dimensions from top to bottom. example here would be if you wanted to now tub depth click on the dimensions from top to bottom button then goto drawing click the top line of the tub and then the bottom line of the tub and you should get those dimensions. You might have to adjust the scale on the bottom right corner of the screen if you get the text will be too small msg. I am not a computer wiz but i figured this out by trial and error, you are a student correct you are using computers and software's you are a smart guy trial and error will get you a long way just give it a try it is easy don't worry ya cant mess anything up.

hope this helped a little

Paul
Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 AM
Woodmandan2

Ok this is problay gonna be a overkill for the boat, but i want speed !!! I just stupidly found out that feigao was chinese and means fly high, but i have been misreading it and reading it as fearigo, i dont know why even though i am not dislexic, and i thought it was itailian. Ive done the same thing with futaba too i read it fubuta lol. hmm makes me think, anyways i am leaning to order a Feigao 380 8XL soon, as they are alittle over 30 dollars, and there purple. they crank out tons of kv (around 3000 i think)for this little boat and it should go really fast =P. I found some nice hardware here for not that much money, a little less than 10 dollars for a andonized blue rudder, still need to find a strut and flexshaft, and coupler. I still havent decided on an esc, but i might have found one. I also got some strong kite rod, i dont know what it is made out of, mabey CF or Fiberglass, but me and my bro dropped a brick on it while holding it and it did not break.

EDIT: Just got back from taking my dog for a walk and i found a huge block of thick white foam. Its not super dense but i think i'll work.

Dan
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Woodmandan2

alrite, how long do u think the rudder should be???

Dan
Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM
TomMoorehouse

got a link to the rudder?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 AM
Woodmandan2

umm no i havent decided yet. I am looking at this blue andonized one for a little less than 10 dollars, and still need to find a strut and rudder. I may start construction this week. I have not got the links to the rudder, and my history is on my other computer, so ill post em later.
Dan
Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Woodmandan2

Alright i got the wood today anyone got any thoughts about the Feigao 540 7xl and im gonna use thier 100a esc. im gonna be able to get em both for a little over 100 dollars, one of the few good things about china. On deltacads drawings for the 6/7 cell version it does not have tub drawings.

Dan

Edit he he u kno somthin funny i just looked over the plans again for the 6 cell ans i saw the tub drawings from the side, man im stupid.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Woodmandan2

Ok from advice from taylor im gonna use the 9XL and 100a esc still. I finished with the tub i need to get more wood and foam and then ill do the sponsons.
Dan
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Woodmandan2

hey how do you guys cut your wood i have been cutting mine with a saw and its really hard!!!
dan
Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
toyotatruckin

bench top scroll saw...
Old 02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
gooycheese

Its hard with a saw, I cut mine with a razor knife/box cutter. there isn't anything thick enough for a saw? the 1/32 stuff Ive heard people cut it with scissors.

Paul
Old 02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
BB Modss

Wow a XL motor in a .12 rigger..im running a 8xl in my 1/12 miss vegas hydro..that rigger is going to scream.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:42 AM
Woodmandan2

He he I like Speed, no really i do lol (Traxxasx Jato 3.3, new boat im making now, etc). I also think that if this boat doestn't work out too well i can do the same thing that your doing, and make one of my NQD huls brushless. (20 inches ABS plastic=MORE SPEED LOL) I think i may take it to school and use a scroll saw if the teacher lets me, it will be much easier and neater. I am also considering of getting a razor blade and doing it that way, as i cut my board in half (almost 10 by 5 foot, man that was hard with a 5 inch saw lol) and di found out that saws dont work so well so i started with the razor, which worked but it was really slow!!! and when i went to break it off i broke the piece of wood. Lol wtvr any anyways taylor reccomended this motor to me so thats why im using it. If you want to see a pic of the rudder there is one here. I am problay going to use one like this, the one from the minicatusa boat.
Dan
Old 02-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Woodmandan2

Ok all i have gotten done so far is the thransom, as my previous tub broke, from the cleaning lady that cleaned the proch, took the hull and threw it away. This is really hard, lol hmm also i am going to use a .130 size flex cable. This should be strong enough right?
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.