Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

O.S. .21 RG-M Help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

O.S. .21 RG-M Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. .21 RG-M Help

I just received OS .21 today. I'm using it for my Aeromarine Titan 21 hull. Anyways I've got some newbie questios here that I hope some of the seasoned boater can answer.

1. I noticed that the exhaust header doesnt have a gasket. Is there a gasket I can purchase? or can I use silicone sealant?

2. The engine came with a retaining nut for the flywheel. Does the retaining nut remain on the shaft or is it taken off before putting on the flex collet?

3. Whats the best thing to use for a lube before its first start up for break in?

Thank you for any advice that can be given.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Grimracer

Default RE: O.S. .21 RG-M Help

Do not use any kind of gasket.. It will be just fine.. As a matter of fact as the gasket swells it can break the header.

The nut comes off.

Air tool Oil.. however its best to just run the motor to break it in.. it has to get to op temp to get a good break in.

Regards

Grim
Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 PM
ByronRC

Thanks Grim I was just wondering if a light lubing would be good. Not trying to cheat break in. So your saying the fuel will be enough. Whats a good percentage to start at.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: ByronRC

Thanks Grim I was just wondering if a light lubing would be good. Not trying to cheat break in. So your saying the fuel will be enough. Whats a good percentage to start at.
What ever percentage you plan to run can be used for breakin. I break my engines in with 50% or 65% fuel. Just make sure the first few runs are done with a rich high speed needle setting.

JD
Old 01-29-2007, 06:20 PM
misshydro

Use after run oil before firing it up! After run oil doesnt take much temp to fire up your motor.A different oil will take longer to start the motor. The nut come off.It's only on there to hold the flywheel on for shipping prepouse. For header,I use high temp copper silicon rtv by permatex for the header gaskets seals.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Torquer

No sealer or gasket is needed on the exhaust header.

You’ll probably need to get the pipe length down a bit to get some RPM’s out of that engine. It’ll run real flat with a long pipe. To start, get it down to about nine inches from the glow plug to the widest part of the pipe. Start the chopping by first removing about a half inch from the very long exhaust header. Chop on the pipe from there. Pour in some 50% and tell us all about it!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 AM
330T

As it was said above use what ever fuel you plan on using to break it in. Make sure it has 12% or higher oil content. When your finished running use After Run Oil, or air tool oil. few drops down the carb, few drops down the glow plug hole.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

For reference, OS says the following in the manual for this engine:
"For consistent performance and long engine life, it is essential to use a good quality fuel containing NOT LESS THAN 18% lubricant."
Old 01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Believe It
Banned

kind of on but off subject, anyone know if the flywheel on the RZM or whatever it is is the same as the one on the RGM (just anodized?)
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
ByronRC

Thank you all for the help. I'm slowly gathering parts be fore construction. Any recommendation on a pipe. Also im thinking of mounting the stinger of the pipe through the transom. What can be uses to keep the vibration down.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Torquer

I’m using a Mac 1325 but the OPS .21 pipe always seems to be the one folks mention as being the best.

You can use the same type of pipe coupler as you’d use to mount the pipe to the header if you’re going to run the exhaust thru the transom. Also, be sure to have some extra couplers on hand when at the pond…

Believe It: If no one has given you an answer by the weekend, I can get you some dimensions of the RGM flywheel if that would help…Can't get my hands on it till then...
Old 02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with staying away from any type of "sealants" near the exhaust as it can "back-breath" any burnt crust (usually containing large particles of copper) into the motor, as its a scavenging two-stroke design. If sealing the hot side "exhaust" is found necessary, use a paper type gasket.

Also I would like to ask a question: Where can I order a 180 degree type header for my OPS 21? I have found out an RG type exhaust adapter will work on the port, but thats as far as I have got.