Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

They Hate My MV!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

They Hate My MV!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 10:52 PM
DKhairho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They Hate My MV!

Not too many people in my city appreciate the MV!
My cousin lives around the corner from me in an expensive community that has a private lake for residents. I had finally gotten my MV broken in and added the Grim Racer Turn Fin (a heck of an investment I might add) and decided to test my Hydro at top speed! I thought that the audience I had watching were fans of my horse power but after 3 laps around the lake, a security guard in a much bigger boat came whizzing thru the water and told me I had to take the boat out of the water due to complaints.

Ruined my whole day! I had spent the day before taking the whole thing apart to add epoxy mixed BLUE enamel to the inside for cleaning and styling purposes. Even changed all the hoses BLUE and added the SV27 Nitro cooling system. Thought I was doing it big until "Johnny Law" came knockin'! He did compliment my speed though. Dang neighbors![:-]

So now I'm on the hunt for another lake in my area to make waves. There is Perris Lake but it's always crowded and has a lot of high waves because they allow sea doos and real boats to run there. If anyone knows of place in the Moreno Valley or Riverside area of california please let me know. [&o]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29740.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	697859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13653.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	697860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57820.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	697861  
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Watercadet

Default RE: They Hate My MV!

You can find some nice water down at lake Smellsomore (Elsinore), but I know that is even more of a hike. Also, we would love to have you come down the last Sunday of every month to Mission Bay in San Diego where we have club races. There are a bunch of MV's out there-mine included. Let me know if you are going to make the trip down and I will get you directions. Our site is www.sandiegoargonauts.com and out district site is www.namba19.com . Look under sites, I think there may be some others that are even closer to you.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:18 AM
Asahi

Sorry about your noise problems. I'm wondering if I'm going to get the same crap in my subdivision with my MV? I may be forced into electrics because of it.

How's that SuperVee header cooling coil working on the MV? Was it an easy fit? Tower has it for about $3:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXRDF2&P=K

Keeping things cooler in there is always a good thing.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Sean Bowf

Asahi, the main reason for the header cooler is to keep the header, and the zip straps that hold it on, from burning off.

And yes, it just slides (screws) onto the MV header.

Some folks have also talked about running the cooling water through the header cooler first during cold weather...to preheat the water before it gets to the head.

Sean
Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
DKhairho

Watercadet - Sounds like a plan. Just from seeing my boat run my stepfather and 2 counsins bought boats. They got elctrics thinking they would at least be able to keep up. No where near my speed! The upside for them is that they can still run their boats! [:-] Are there electrics also running in San Diego? I may get my Step father to come down with me. He lives in Temecula so he is about an hour and a half away. Thanks for the invite. If I can't make it this month I'll try for July. Sounds like a plan though.

Asahi - The coil works just has Sean stated. The engine in my opinion stays cool just because water is constantnly circulating through it. I did notice that my coupler is not as hot as it was before also. Can't really give a true assessment of how much it improved cooling as a whole since I didn't get to run long enough. When I brought the boat back in the temp was about 90F.

Overall I look at this boat as being a fairly solid work of art. I do really recommend the epoxy upgrade. Cleaning was a breeze and by using the dark blue enamel as a color tint, can't see any dirt or grease what so ever. Nothing but compliments from others. Next I going to throw a nice paint job on her!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 PM
twistedtahoe

I think there is a lake in Chino, El Monte, and 1 or 2 in SD to run nitro/gas boats I am in the OC and am in the same boat as you looking for a lake to run on...no pun intended.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:13 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only suggest perris lake, by the dam,short walk and not much traffic there at all.....
Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
DKhairho

I thought about Perris Lake but I hear it gets kind of rowdy and crowded on weekends. I'll probably cruise by this Saturday and check the scene. Lake Elsinore is another option too.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perris Lake can get pretty wild,I lived in san berdoo 10 yrs and spent alot of time at perris,as I suggested, go to the last parking lot on the right and run at the dam area,no swimmers and the boat/seadoo maniac's are far away from you,heck,while your out there, drown a nightcrawler 6' under a bobber for some GREAT largemouth bass action......
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM
DKhairho

Ok. I'll go check it out! Are there other boaters there? Also how easy is it to balance props if anyone knows? I was thinking of getting an aquacraft prop. Lost as to which one to get but I do want more speed before I go showing her off in public places.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Fast Guy

Check out the speed electric forums. Someone there converted a MV to brushless. I have a SuperVee 27 and was going to get a Nitro SuperVee untill I herd one run. They are way too loud and this comming from a guy that races truggies. I'm surprised that Aquacraft is selling a RTR, most of which won't be raced and will be run in populated areas with an exhaust note that won't win any smiles from the neighbors.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Asahi

ORIGINAL: Fast Guy

Check out the speed electric forums. Someone there converted a MV to brushless. I have a SuperVee 27 and was going to get a Nitro SuperVee untill I herd one run. They are way too loud and this comming from a guy that races truggies. I'm surprised that Aquacraft is selling a RTR, most of which won't be raced and will be run in populated areas with an exhaust note that won't win any smiles from the neighbors.
Yeah a brushless Miss Vegas would be great. Maybe AquaCraft has one in the works? [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
DKhairho

It's just something about the sound of nitro that give me a rush. I am sure the brushless will be cool too though. Boats are much louder than cars for some reason. Maybe I'll get another MV and do that conversion.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't quite looked at what's available for your size motors, but there's muffled tuned pipes around for marine engines...maybe that would help with the screaming from both the motors and the residents. It really should be added to the parts list for these, as they are quite popular now.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:13 AM
Fast Guy

ORIGINAL: DKhairho

It's just something about the sound of nitro that give me a rush. I am sure the brushless will be cool too though. Boats are much louder than cars for some reason. Maybe I'll get another MV and do that conversion.
I don't know if you have herd a SuperVee Brushless run as they are by no means quiet. The motor makes a high pitched sound like a supercharger and the propeller makes quite a racket too. It sounds fast and my neighbors like it too. Nitro always gave me a rush and now electric does too.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:02 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: jetpack

I haven't quite looked at what's available for your size motors, but there's muffled tuned pipes around for marine engines...maybe that would help with the screaming from both the motors and the residents. It really should be added to the parts list for these, as they are quite popular now.
Not saying an add on muffler would not quiet it some...but the MV's stock pipe is a baffled (muffled) pipe.

Sean
Old 06-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Fast Guy

I haven't herd a MV run but I have seen the SuperVee Nitro and it is way louder than our RC cars and trucks. There must be a way to make it more acceptable. Most public places will hurry up and ban them. Too bad as boating is really starting to take off.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Watercadet

'camon down.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Asahi

Sort of related. Which is louder? A gas or nitro powered boat? I realize there are more options for silencers (Cooper) with gas but without a silencer which is louder? With the gas I'm talking about a Zenoah 25ccish motor and for comparison for nitro, an .18-.32ish size engine.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Believe It
Banned

ORIGINAL: Asahi

Sort of related. Which is louder? A gas or nitro powered boat? I realize there are more options for silencers (Cooper) with gas but without a silencer which is louder? With the gas I'm talking about a Zenoah 25ccish motor and for comparison for nitro, an .18-.32ish size engine.
there are so many different pipes its hard to say really. My K&B 67 and OPS 65 with Mac 11cc pipe was definetely louder then my Zen with steel pipe.