Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:32 PM
losifiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

Lots of people dislike this model. I love it. I like the style and the scheme of the boat. It also handles really well with the upgraded drive system I have put together for it. My first one taught me about RC boating. This one will teach me how to handle a monster.

On to the pictures. Exuse the mess. I had just had breakfast.

Old and new. I got the new one from off of ebay for $179 shipped. It was missing the strudder(garbage).

Clean canvas waiting for the exopxy to go in. i learned with the old one that the vibration of the motor tends to bust out the bottom of the hull. So this time I will hope to prevent that.

OS .18 vs dynamite.15. Do I need to explain this one[8D]

Epoxy dry, motor in, and water pick up installed where the turn fin would be. By what I have read, cats dont need fins.....we'll see how that works out.

Gear mocked up. Everything fit just as good as on the other one. No problems here.

DONE!! The radio box cover got warped on the old boat when I flipped it and the batteries got wet and made it hot inside the radio box. I flattend it out with a skillet iron and it shrank[:@]. Now it gives me a good reason to order some 3mm carbon fiber off of ebay to cut a new one from[8D]. And yeah, I noticed the water pick up was not connected on the head. Its connected now.

Running gear finished. Going to break in the motor with this prop. Its a stainless steel Prather but I can remember the dimmensions. Its 3/16ths and defenitly bigger than the plastic one the boat came with.

Front shot. I opend up the scoops over the cowels a bit more to feed the hungry .18 a little but more fresh air.

Picture frame hooks CA glued in hopes of making retrieval easier with a ball and fihing pole.

Here you can see the rear hooks I installed. I'm not swimming out to go get it!!

This is the underside of the cover. I opend it up quite a bit in hopes to get more air flowing to the .18. I also used cut baloon pieces affixed with ca glue to seal the huge holes for the antenna and the thumb screw. Thats where most of the water comes in from on these things.

Well thats about it. I didnt get to run it this weekend as I wanted due to my health. Hopefully next week will be better.

Thanks for looking!!
Rafael
Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Sean Bowf

Default RE: The evolution of my BJ26(lots of pictures!!)

Looks good. Take a video camera with you when you get it wet...

Sean
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
wave waker

great job![sm=thumbup.gif], but one thing if u don't mind, the retrieving hooks is making the boat looks bad, instead of using that use a ball link, works great and looks great too...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM
losifiend

Ball link?....hmm...that sounds intersting but I didnt want to drill the hull.....unless I glue it...I'll have to try that if this fails. Thanks for the tip!!

And there will defenitly be a video when this thing hit the water.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:56 PM
agentorangeracer

Hey, sweet boat, were did you get that hardware at, I want that rudder on my BJ, dont tell me twisted liquid has it, it kinnda looks like somthing off of an sv27, oh and are you gunna leave the turn fins in the bak off? i noticed you kinnda cant on the right side for the pick up line. Check out my BJ26 W/.18AQU ON MY MYSPACE, Url: http://www.myspace.com/famousrcboats
tell me what you think.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:30 AM
zippymustang610

losi did u fab that rudder system yourself or did you purchase it from somewere? im running the twisted liquid skater system and it sacrifices handling ALOT i dont like it, the shorter design of yours should work extremely well!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: zippymustang610

losi did u fab that rudder system yourself or did you purchase it from somewere? im running the twisted liquid skater system and it sacrifices handling ALOT i dont like it, the shorter design of yours should work extremely well!
All of the equiptment I used with the exception of the prop came from OffShoreElectrics. it does function very well and turns excellent!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:28 PM
zippymustang610

awesome thanks for the info! hows the OS running for you?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Sean Bowf

Video VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO

Sean
Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 PM
losifiend

The only crappy video I have had a chance to get is in this thread. i'm working on getting my house ready to go on the market so we can mave back to SoCal. If I get chance to take a break Ill try and get some full throttle runs on vid.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6286783/tm.htm[/link]
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Sean Bowf

I would love to see a tuned in full throttle pass with it Rafael. Seeing a few CVRMs in MVs, I think you have only reached half of the potential of the engine in those passes.

Sean
Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 AM
losifiend

Trust me Sean, I'm dying to see a full throttle pass myself. Those passes were only at 1/3 throttle!! I atempted a full throttle pass last weekend while in a some what calm cove at the lake while we were out and it started to wabbles side to side as it skipped allong and then it hit a small wake and sumarined. So after having it flip twice before and being too lazy to pull anchor to go retrieve it, I had to put on a life jacket and my fins and go get it....AGAIN so I called it a day after that.

There is a nice narrow and long pond off to the side os a community near my house that is still in developement. I'm dying to get out there and give it a go(with the camera rolling of course). I need to see what this boat can do because I'm really leaning towards selling it. 1, I have too many RC toys right now, and 2 we will be moving to San Diego soon and there are'nt as many ponds/ lakes as here in NorthTex to make it worth keeping it.......but I need to see how fast it will go!!![>:]
Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 PM
terry kelly

just out of curiousness i seen that your rudder is drilled and tapped on the top for a water pickup , is the rudder drilled all the way through as well to provide the hole water? if so why did you elect to go the route with the seprate water pickup instead of useing the drag of the rudder that is already there to do the water pickup for you? looks nice btw and i love my bj55 and have been thinking of doing one of these when i finish my 19 other projects as well..lol
Old 09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: terry kelly

just out of curiousness i seen that your rudder is drilled and tapped on the top for a water pickup , is the rudder drilled all the way through as well to provide the hole water? if so why did you elect to go the route with the seprate water pickup instead of useing the drag of the rudder that is already there to do the water pickup for you? looks nice btw and i love my bj55 and have been thinking of doing one of these when i finish my 19 other projects as well..lol
Yes its drilled all the way through. I filled the hole on the rudder with solder and then filed/sanded it smooth. The reason I went that route(external pick up) was because that rudder is made for an electric boat and it didnt supply enough watter to cool a nitro motor. The motor was running in the high 180* area. I like to keep it at 150*-160* or below and that is where it is now.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
tom woodward

I also installed tlr rudder system and not happy with steering, it does not want to turn right. I called them and they said to check my two turn fins, make sure tier not bent. Also start with strut all the way then move up. What do think of that?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
tom woodward

Thanks for all the information it is real helpful in deciding what to do with my bj26 I insalled a twisted laquid skader, rudder system and 535 prop. Im not happy with the way it handels, better before. This my first boat also and I have learned a alot. I like the boat to just wish it would run right and stop costing me money
Old 09-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Another trick that I've seen for a retrieval hook besides a ball-link is a bra hook. Yes, I snickered when I saw it but then thought that is was kind of a stroke of genius. they're small and don't really stick up much off the deck as all you really need is something for the fishing line to snag.
No, I haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
losifiend

Haha, bra hook. Now thats getting crafty. My wife would be mad if I took the hooks off of her bras. And it would be funny to go to wallmart to buy 4 bras just for the hooks.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
leejax02

Yep...explain to the wife about the receipt for the 4 large bras(large bras=larger hooks) and see if she believes that one.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
zippymustang610

i bought the vm 1 strut and rudder from speedmaster i filled the stock holes with epoxy and gonna drill and mount tomarrow ill let you all know how it goes i dont know how an offset rudder system is gonna work on the cat but we will soon find out all i need is my freakin .18 from twisted liquid that ive been waiting for 5 months now thats the best their skater system was a waste hopeully the motor will not be crap... if so im opting for the rossi .21 lol ill keep u all informed
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tell her to buy some new bra's as they always seem to need a new one. A sewing store or the department in other stores for sewing supplies should have them in various sizes. The ball-link ball trick works well also. Somebody used ot make mini boat cleats that looked more realistic, it might have been Blew By You a.k.a. BBY Racing.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM
joseywales

I got you beat on that!!But I'm keeping it topsecret/lowprofile from misshyro.She's going to drop her jaw when it's done.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: joseywales

But I'm keeping it topsecret/lowprofile from misshyro.
You ripped out the hooks frome her bras??!![X(]....J/K[:-]

Zippymustang, the Thundercat has an offset rudder, if I'm not mistakeing. It should work fine on the Bj26. I was going to mount mine on the side but I forgot to buy the strut mount kit so I had to inprovise[:@]. Worked out well though. Sorry to hear about waiting for the OS .18 to come in. I will be pulling mine out and porting it since I'm off for a week[8D]
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
zippymustang610

ok i need everyones input i got the vm1 strut the problem is when mounted flush with the transom it basically tourches the copper pipe the flex drive runs through so i have thought about it and i basically have 3 options a, i trim down the pipe B, i trim down the strut or c i but a rather large spacer between the strut and transom... i am also gonna have trouble wiht the rudder system because it seems im going to either have to make a nasty linkage out of piano wire with around 5 bends in it to hook up to the stock holes for the radio box and hull which im assuming is gonna hurt the speed and handling of the servor and rudder system, unless i go with a killer high tourque servo that might do the trick for slidding the bend through gromets. if anyone has any suggestions or im missing somehting let me know please!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 PM
joseywales

Zippy. You could use lawnmower/tractor throtle cable,for linkage,it strong and works very well! Also get the hightork servo too.losifriend
You ripped out the hooks frome her bras??!! ....J/K
Good one!LOL!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.