Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AMPS hulls & outboards pics & tips {Agnew Model Propulsion Systems}

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AMPS hulls & outboards pics & tips {Agnew Model Propulsion Systems}

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Eddy de Vries

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AMPS hulls & outboards pics& tips

Mark (ob nut),

Bob already gave an answer to that too:

ORIGINAL: BobAgnew

The original gas outboard used a flex drive and the originals ran for hours without problems.
ORIGINAL: ob nut

The two gas lowers available (Lawless & G-Morty)....
Ofcourse I can only speak for our own product, but there are more available, for info also see [link=http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7917]boatracingfacts[/link].

These are also with flexshaft that run for hours, so we don't have the "break within one heat" issue.

Rgds, Eddy
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
donnie114

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob Agnew
Speaking for myself the Amps Boats and Motor where ahead of there time I myself don't race boats I like for people to come up to me at the pond and tell me how much it looks like the real thing and ask where they can get one and I have to tell them a short but great story about the amp company. Its like a tucker automobile there where ahead of there tme to. So I would love to see the amps make a come back and would buy them as soon as they would be ready for the public. Put my on the list of buyers if there is one.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddy de Vries, how are you keeping the flex shafts from breaking in your unit ? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95626.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1132298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98773.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1132299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93290.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1132300  
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Eddy de Vries

specialk1,

Although I think this thread is almost ready to move to the gas forum, you sure found a way to keep it going (17430 hits now) !

To answer your question (after extensive testing) we started choosing a very high quality flexshaft and run it in an oil bath.
We don't use a teflon liner, but according to the advise of the (German) manufacturer straight in a stainless steel tube, in order to get rid of the generated heat.

For the rest we stole a kind of "users manual" from different fora:

Break in a new shaft by polishing the outside surface running them in a high speed drill, using 400 wet/dry paper and WD 40 for a short while.
Inspect the shaft ends and don't leave any grit in the shaft by cleaning it with solvent.
Soak the flex in oil in a straight position for at least a day before you use it.

When tightening the prop, don't hold the flywheel to tighten the nut, but hold the prop using a piece of heavy leather.
Holding the flywheel forces the cable the wrong way and breaks the square wedge ends loose, and un-binds the lay of the cable.

Go slow with a new flexshaft, because even though they are flexible, they still need to be broken in.

Since you have to check the oil level in the midsection at least every day before going to the water anyway and to avoid unwanted material “memoryâ€, take out the flexshaft after each day of driving, use solvent to soak it in, work it around, flex it (this will remove newly worn metal particles out of it) and store it in oil in a straight position again.

Rgds, Eddy[sm=bananahead.gif]

Name:	Om34548.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1132400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52958.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1132401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43665.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1132402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83711.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1132403  
Old 02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
donnie114

Eddy were do you get your hulls from or do you make them? Thanks Donnie
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

Eddy,

Sorry about that. Forgot about your unit.. D'Oh.. Guess I was thinking of the units that have been discussed about on IW.

Donnie,

I believe those are the OSSI hulls out of Germany.. Might be wrong... Won't be the first time!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Eddy de Vries

Donnie,

The black and white boat is my testboat and is a modified glassfiber copy of a DPI.
The yellow and Bud Light boat at the right are "Synthar" boats that are build by John Vianen, an ex fullscale racer.
The carbon boat with the wooden sponsons is build by Rob Pols and was the donor for the center section of the Synthar mould.

Mark,

The boat at the right, where you can only see the front part, is an Ossi.

Rgds, Eddy
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
donnie114

Does anybody know how to get a hold of one of eddy's or 2brothersrc.com one of there lower units? I would like to get to the pond this year and want a new boat to run. Tired of nitro and ready for the sweet smell of 2 stroke. Thanks for the info guys
Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 AM
4square

Hi Guys

Sorry that I have not been around for a week or so. I have managed to find some of the original gear pairs for the outboards/outdrives and will sort these out in the next few days and update everyone on how many there are. These are unused gears from the last of the original batches.

I have also obtained some prices for new much stronger gears that will fit the original units. These will cost about 25 - 30 dollars a pair if we order them in small batches (50 -100 sets) They are approximately 80% stronger than the original gears.

Is this of interest at these prices. The original gears will be less as all I have to cover is the cost of inspection and testing but the numbers will be limited.

One question I have - The original gas outboard used a flex drive and the originals ran for hours without problems. Is a flex drive acceptable or do people want geared lower units.

Also there are some nice looking units made a by a company called MHZ. They have been about for quite a time as a company originally in East Germany. This may be a stupid question but if there are units around that will take gas engines and big nitro engines why produce a new unit?

Just Curious

Regards

Great news on finding the gears Bob!

I'd be interested in your older gear sets as well as any new improved gears that could be made. Our local club basically scrapped the AMPS class due to the unavailability of gears and replacement parts. If we could bring back the parts that wear out I'm sure those that still have their fleet would be back in. I would like a minimum of 10 sets, that would get my lowers working again. If there isn't interest from anyone else here I'd consider meeting that 50 piece quota myself.

Bob,
Back in 2006 I remember someone sold the last of their AMPS outboards on eBay. One of them was a proto-type with a fiberglass cowl with Evinrude branding on it. The motor was fitted with a gear at the top and was accompanied by a paper signed by you authenticating it as a true AMPS prototype. Can you recall this motor, and/or have any pictures you could share with us? My PC came down with a terrible FLU a few years ago and unfortunately the cure involved losing many, many files... Including the photos of that engine.

Any other history you could provide would be of great interest here.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: Eddy de Vries

specialk1,

Although I think this thread is almost ready to move to the gas forum, you sure found a way to keep it going (17430 hits now) !

To answer your question (after extensive testing) we started choosing a very high quality flexshaft and run it in an oil bath.
We don't use a teflon liner, but according to the advise of the (German) manufacturer straight in a stainless steel tube, in order to get rid of the generated heat.

For the rest we stole a kind of "users manual" from different fora:

Break in a new shaft by polishing the outside surface running them in a high speed drill, using 400 wet/dry paper and WD 40 for a short while.
Inspect the shaft ends and don't leave any grit in the shaft by cleaning it with solvent.
Soak the flex in oil in a straight position for at least a day before you use it.

When tightening the prop, don't hold the flywheel to tighten the nut, but hold the prop using a piece of heavy leather.
Holding the flywheel forces the cable the wrong way and breaks the square wedge ends loose, and un-binds the lay of the cable.

Go slow with a new flexshaft, because even though they are flexible, they still need to be broken in.

Since you have to check the oil level in the midsection at least every day before going to the water anyway and to avoid unwanted material “memoryâ€, take out the flexshaft after each day of driving, use solvent to soak it in, work it around, flex it (this will remove newly worn metal particles out of it) and store it in oil in a straight position again.

Rgds, Eddy[sm=bananahead.gif]
well if your sales go up because of this tread i better get a discount on your outboard lol [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: 4square

Hi Guys

Sorry that I have not been around for a week or so. I have managed to find some of the original gear pairs for the outboards/outdrives and will sort these out in the next few days and update everyone on how many there are. These are unused gears from the last of the original batches.

I have also obtained some prices for new much stronger gears that will fit the original units. These will cost about 25 - 30 dollars a pair if we order them in small batches (50 -100 sets) They are approximately 80% stronger than the original gears.

Is this of interest at these prices. The original gears will be less as all I have to cover is the cost of inspection and testing but the numbers will be limited.

One question I have - The original gas outboard used a flex drive and the originals ran for hours without problems. Is a flex drive acceptable or do people want geared lower units.

Also there are some nice looking units made a by a company called MHZ. They have been about for quite a time as a company originally in East Germany. This may be a stupid question but if there are units around that will take gas engines and big nitro engines why produce a new unit?

Just Curious

Regards

I'd be interested in your older gear sets as well as any new improved gears that could be made. Our local club basically scrapped the AMPS class due to the unavailability of gears and replacement parts. If we could bring back the parts that wear out I'm sure those that still have their fleet would be back in. I would like a minimum of 10 sets, that would get my lowers working again. If there isn't interest from anyone else here I'd consider meeting that 50 piece quota myself.

Bob,
Back in 2006 I remember someone sold the last of their AMPS outboards on eBay. One of them was a proto-type with a fiberglass cowl with Evenrude branding on it. The motor was fitted with a gear at the top and was accompanied by a paper signed by you authenticating it as a true AMPS prototype. Can you recall this motor, and/or have any pictures you could share with us?

Regards,

Bill

also not only the gears but the shafts [&:]

Name:	Zx71379.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1133606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79607.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1133607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12957.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1133608  
Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
specialk1

[quote]ORIGINAL: specialk1

ORIGINAL: 4square

Hi Guys

Just Curious

Regards

Bob,
Back in 2006 I remember someone sold the last of their AMPS outboards on eBay. One of them was a proto-type with a fiberglass cowl with Evenrude branding on it. The motor was fitted with a gear at the top and was accompanied by a paper signed by you authenticating it as a true AMPS prototype. Can you recall this motor, and/or have any pictures you could share with us?

Regards,

Bill

also not only the gears but the shafts [&:] and have you all had problems with water getting in on the lowers { speed masters} version .joe rocket pointed that out
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
joe rocket

I'll will take some gears also. New and improved stronger ones would be great. What about a new speedmaster foot with spiral gears or?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: joe rocket

I'll will take some gears also. New and improved stronger ones would be great. What about a new speedmaster foot with spiral gears or?
joe where was water getting in on your lower end /40 or 60 size? have you ever got water in you i/o drive ??[sm=drowning.gif]

Name:	Vs55558.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1137475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31671.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1137476  
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
joe rocket

I don't have an io drive. I think the water comes in at the joint where the halfs come together.I do have oil that leaks out the prop shaft but that is not a big deal.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
specialk1

I don't have an io drive. I think the water comes in at the joint where the halfs come together.I do have oil that leaks out the prop shaft but that is not a big deal.
the oil ..... what weight are you using i found using a heaver oil stops some of the leak>> but i still lose some

Name:	Bz78333.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1138461  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
specialk1

ORIGINAL: gas pump bill

that k&o mercury is killing me . when GERRY and i got married 53 years ago . i got 2 of the 1950 merc motors. and a mahogony cabin cruiser. after building it i took it down the street to the lake the operation was not verry impresive. i dont know what i did with the boat and 2 motors but regretting their loss later in my life i started colecting them again. i have a nice langcraft merc but i have never found a K&O merc that i could aford. oh well thats life. bill payne
her is one for you >>> they never ran good ><><>[X(]

Name:	Xv64055.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1138526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93100.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	1138527  
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
joe rocket

85-90 gear oil
Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 AM
BobAgnew

Hi guys

Maybe I can help here. You should not get a leak between the two halves as these were machined faces. They were generally joined using a sealing compound such as Hermatite which does go hard eventually so if you take the units apart you need to check that the faces are clean before you put them back together. A smear of silicone grease works well as a sealant and does not go hard.

As regards leaking from the propshaft - depending on the age of the unit most were fitted with rubber sealed bearings in the bearing housing behind the prop. These shoul dbe readiyl available from bearing suppliers. Any rotating unit will loose some oil that is why an oil top up oil filler screw was added. The rotation of the gears act as a pump and pressurise the oil in the gearbox. If it is full then the oil has nowhere to go but out through the bearings.

Do not fill the gearbox above say half way. The gear on the propshaft only needs to be sitting in a shallow bath of oil over its lower half as it will then pick up the oil and transfer it to the other gear as well as spraying it about the inside of the casing. Unless the unit ejects all its oil and fills up with water and is then left you should not find that it is a major problem if a small amount of water gets in the gear case occasionall. Water mixed with the oil will reduce the efficiency of the oil but providing that it is only a very small proportion of water for a short number of runs it will not generally do any major damage. When these systems were used in European racing competitions the oil was only checked each run and topped up to half way if necessary. It was only replaced maybe twice a year or if something broke![>:].

Auto differential oil or the oil mentioned above is fine. Do not use oil that is too thick as this will generate a lot of heat very quickly and loose a lot of its lubricating powers. It is ok when in the water but with the engine running on land it can get very hot very quickly.

If you need to remove the lower shaft (I think I saw a photo above with some specially made pliers) The bearing housing was a close machined finish and held in place using Loctite 308 (uk number so I am not sure of the US number). This is the same Loctite used for holding the grub screws in the gears and is (was) the strongest loctite available.

To disassemble without damaging the units you need to heat the housing (the casting) with a small gas torch I think if I recall to about 300degrees F. At this temperature the loctite degrades and you can easily remove the parts. In a painted unit this destroys the paint so you need to repaint them however on the speedmaster (polished) units it is not a problem.

Hope this is of help
Regards
Bob
Old 02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
specialk1

Hi guys

Maybe I can help here. You should not get a leak between the two halves as these were machined faces. They were generally joined using a sealing compound such as Hermatite which does go hard eventually so if you take the units apart you need to check that the faces are clean before you put them back together. A smear of silicone grease works well as a sealant and does not go hard.

As regards leaking from the propshaft - depending on the age of the unit most were fitted with rubber sealed bearings in the bearing housing behind the prop. These shoul dbe readiyl available from bearing suppliers. Any rotating unit will loose some oil that is why an oil top up oil filler screw was added. The rotation of the gears act as a pump and pressurise the oil in the gearbox. If it is full then the oil has nowhere to go but out through the bearings.

Do not fill the gearbox above say half way. The gear on the propshaft only needs to be sitting in a shallow bath of oil over its lower half as it will then pick up the oil and transfer it to the other gear as well as spraying it about the inside of the casing. Unless the unit ejects all its oil and fills up with water and is then left you should not find that it is a major problem if a small amount of water gets in the gear case occasionall. Water mixed with the oil will reduce the efficiency of the oil but providing that it is only a very small proportion of water for a short number of runs it will not generally do any major damage. When these systems were used in European racing competitions the oil was only checked each run and topped up to half way if necessary. It was only replaced maybe twice a year or if something broke![>:].

Auto differential oil or the oil mentioned above is fine. Do not use oil that is too thick as this will generate a lot of heat very quickly and loose a lot of its lubricating powers. It is ok when in the water but with the engine running on land it can get very hot very quickly.

If you need to remove the lower shaft (I think I saw a photo above with some specially made pliers) The bearing housing was a close machined finish and held in place using Loctite 308 (uk number so I am not sure of the US number). This is the same Loctite used for holding the grub screws in the gears and is (was) the strongest loctite available.

To disassemble without damaging the units you need to heat the housing (the casting) with a small gas torch I think if I recall to about 300degrees F. At this temperature the loctite degrades and you can easily remove the parts. In a painted unit this destroys the paint so you need to repaint them however on the speedmaster (polished) units it is not a problem.

Hope this is of help
Regards
Bob
we all thank you for the help and great info keep it coming [sm=49_49.gif]

Name:	Ki18866.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	1140319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71048.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1140320  
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
specialk1

85-90 gear oil
[X(] joe i think you will like this Hirobo Volvo Penta Out Drive Unit look at the sise of the boat ><> [X(]

Name:	Zx70603.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1143105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63538.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1143106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13713.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1143107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29558.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1143108  
Old 02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
joe rocket

I think they are awesome. I'm sure that they just give them away.lol I know you need to build an offshore cat with twin gas inboards.Now that would be fun. When are you getting the AMPS site up and running?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM
specialk1

lol for $850 each they can keep them lol[:'(] i will stick with some thing like this lol >> i love paint boys dumas boat !! im going to try the mhz's out drives on a MTI cat i have just siting around ><> se what hapends >> i was at the palm beach rc boat race this week end and saw a guy with one of the ossie 1/4 tunnel hulls with a 2/brothers gas outboard .did not do so well the lower scag is to short , spun out to much it is a gear driven unit ><>< i whant to look in this lower end <last pic>

Name:	Cx74345.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1143454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83009.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1143457  
Attached Images    
Old 02-23-2009, 10:37 PM
joe rocket

I know their is a guy in Denver area that built an 7 ft deepvee with carnellos outdrives. Maybe I can find him if you need alittle help with it. Only 850 i think I'll buy two LOL. I think I'd rather buy one for my 225 Johnson for a spare.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:56 AM
specialk1

I know their is a guy in Denver area that built an 7 ft deepvee with carnellos outdrives. Maybe I can find him if you need alittle help with it. Only 850 i think I'll buy two LOL. I think I'd rather buy one for my 225 Johnson for a spare.
come on $850 + 6,500 for the boat ,,,get 4 out drives lol [:'(] you know you want them lol[&:] the KANELLOS STERN DRIVES #6 where a copy of the amps to some extent >< they did look good i like to have one or to just to coelct i did see one on fleeybay not to long ago.. i found some pics of them on some boats look what rccolecter did with his old Kanellos drive made a outboard with it .. i look at some old pice of one and the top cover looks like it comes off to work on .,, i like that .. now i want 2 of them lol

Name:	Sq45687.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1143832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81959.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1143833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15308.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1143834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65964.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1143835  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.