Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Largest Pull Start Engine?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Largest Pull Start Engine?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:00 AM
340aar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest Pull Start Engine?

Hi guys, new to the hobby with my first nitro boat...an older Prather Aggressor with a K&B .82 inboard....the boat and engine are almost brand new and I got it for cheap. However, I can't stand the entire starting routine with an inboard, lugging car battery 1/2 mile to the lake etc...I want to install a recoil start engine, but the largest one I can find is an OS .32. I'm afraid that will make the boat dissapointingly slow, but not sure about that. Anybody have any experience withthat engine? Or know of a larger pull start engine? The boat is only 33" long (older hull aggressor), so I think it's too small for a gasoline engine.
Thanks for any input!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Largest Pull Start Engine?

If the boat is only 33" long, the OS .32 will push it as it was overpowered with the big K&B anyway. It won't be the speed demon that you were used to but it will do the job. you might be able to find a P/S .21 that could have more power than the .32 so that's worth a look at also.
Your next problem is going to have to drop down to 3/16" cable and smaller props to accomodate the smaller engine unless you're already set up for that.
I don't know why you're toting a car battery around as generally we use much smaller and lighter 7.5 amp gel-cell batteries.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Spetz

You can buy small 12V batteries
For motorbikes and stuff
Be cheaper too than replacing the engine, and they are pretty light
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 AM
340aar

yes, I agree the car battery is overkill and was going to just use motorcycle battery or something much smaller....but I can't stand the whole rubber band starting deal....what I don't want is a finicky engine ready to stall without warning at a moments notice, I would gladly give up some top end speed for a more mild mannered easy starting user friendly engine.....
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I find the hand-held electric starters a lot easier to use even if I have to carry all of that weight around and I'm lazy! Keep the electric starter around until you get the engine broken in as it sure helps when getting a new engine dialed in. No worry about broken pull-starters either. It's your choice though.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i put a power starter on my .26 to brake it in i use a 11.1 lipo to start it wippes it over real good . yes adds some weght but im still under my liment . but ill be going with a hand hald later
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM
supersonico

Justengines of Carlisle England. they used to supply a pull start LEO 46, Similar to OS46.Agood website for engines & pipes and a an excellent company to deal with.
Dave.