Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

20 speedmaster mono

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

20 speedmaster mono

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:49 AM
eengler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 speedmaster mono

I am interested in purchasing a 20 speedmaster mono, please give me any advice or comment you might have on this boat. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: 20 speedmaster mono

Great little boat! Set up right it doesn't need trim tabs or a turn fin. I had the early version and it did well in racing.
The only shot that I have handy of it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18579.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1288077  
Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
eengler

Are you running trim tabs? I just ordered this boat in the morning, with speedmaster stinger/rudder and trimtabs. Any more advice Ron?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
toyotatruckin

I think sean is running the speedmaster monos I know hes running the 40 and may have a 21..maybe he'll chime in here
Old 10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Ron Olson

Some people run the boat with trim tabs but I was told by the guy who sold me mine not to use them unless I felt that I needed them, mine didn't. The first day out with it the water was rough and it flew level over the waves. It does run wet like Seaducer's which works well in race water conditions.
Our RC boat club Prez has the 40 version, a very nice running boat.
I don't know if the new manufacturer of the is doing what the original maker did but he marked the engine rails with a pencil or something to show where the center of the cylinder should be.

OK, I just found a transom shot............

Name:	Jh15832.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1290554  
Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
TCHedOff

Our club runs a mono class and a speedmaster not only won consistently, but was also high points for the year (and he missed a day or was it 2 of racing because he blew a con rod).
Old 10-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Sean Bowf

Yota, my .45 size mono is a speedmaster, but I think mine might be an older model. My .21 mono is a seadunker.

Anyhow, I do have the trim tabs on my boat, but have not tried it without them. I did try the boat without a turn fin, but it seems to do a bit better with it. I have made so many tuning changes trying to learn the boat, that I really don't know if anything that I tried earlier, that did not work, would work now. My .45 is a very fast boat..often times too fast for our rough water conditions here. I ran it in open mono with the gas monos and it held its own for a couple laps until the gas boat that was left tried to go through my prop wash and got blown off.

Without setting up two different brands of boats with the exact same engine, pipe, etc, it would really be hard for me to say that one is better than another. I have a .45 CMB HR in my speedmaster, and don't think anyone I run against in D-mono has a similar engine.

Sean
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
eengler

I am worried about it running "wet", i really hate boats that run wet. I dont know if you guys remember i had an sd3 with a CMB rs7 ( about a year ago) and the boat ran super wet. When i spoke to jeff at technology hobbies and glenn from novarossi, they both told me that seaducers have the "hook" and if the boat is not made perfect, the hook might be more or less. And through their experience, some seaducers dont run good because of the "hook" issue. The speedmaster does not have a hook, and they both said its a little easier to setup than the seaducer. I picked the stinger becuase I thought it would run a little looser with the stinger, hence the prop is further away from the boat. Do stingers make boats run a little looser? Anyways i want to share my prize possession, i know it's "GAS" but i think you'll enjoy it. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibNTAUfGhC0]My Falcon Cat[/link]
Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Ron Olson

The Seadunker's have the hook built into the mold so it's hard to make a splash of one. The amount of shrinkage during curing time must be also factored in to get it right which can lead to the hull having either too much or not enough.
I don't like a wet ride either but I normally have to set up and practice run my boats on mostly calm water so I know that it will loosen up in race conditions.
I don't think that there's a hook in the Speedmaster's hull but just with the CG further forward eliminates the need for trim tabs on it. Remember, I had one of the first versions out. The big tell-tale sign between it and the newer ones is that the channel on the deck is shallower as it was modded to allow MAC engines to sit in there and not get the carb hosed down by boats in front of it. Chris Fabbro ( the original owner of the Speedmaster 21 and before that, the Microburst hulls) may have also done a little modding on the bottom but I couldn't tell you for sure also on version 2.

Yeah, I like my Falcon 41 a lot also. It's got a RCMK Evo sitting there waiting to get dropped in. The RCMK in there now will probably go in the Lazer 45 that my son will race.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: eengler

I am worried about it running ''wet'', i really hate boats that run wet. I dont know if you guys remember i had an sd3 with a CMB rs7 ( about a year ago) and the boat ran super wet. When i spoke to jeff at technology hobbies and glenn from novarossi, they both told me that seaducers have the ''hook'' and if the boat is not made perfect, the hook might be more or less. And through their experience, some seaducers dont run good because of the ''hook'' issue. The speedmaster does not have a hook, and they both said its a little easier to setup than the seaducer. I picked the stinger becuase I thought it would run a little looser with the stinger, hence the prop is further away from the boat. Do stingers make boats run a little looser? Anyways i want to share my prize possession, i know it's ''GAS'' but i think you'll enjoy it. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibNTAUfGhC0]My Falcon Cat[/link]
I find that my seadunker runs wet unless the water is a little choppy. So...it runs better when running against other boats that it does running on its own.

When my speedmaster is running right, there really is not much of the boat in the water. At times, I have a hard time keeping the pointy end forward and the wet side down. The back tries to outrun the front. I think you will be happy with the speedmaster.

Sean
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM
eengler

How do I properly install trim tabs on the speedmaster mono? I know the location, i just do not know if they go "flush" to the hull or they go about 1/16-1/8 of an inch away from the bottom of the hull?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Sean Bowf

I have heard both...to put them flush, and to put them just a hair above the bottom of the transom. I had installed mine flush at first, but then moved them up a little after having more than one person tell me to move them up.

I think an eighth of an inch is too much. I think you are looking for a sixteenth, or less...but wait till you get some other inputs before you start drilling.

Sean
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM
toyotatruckin

raise them up a hair from flush good way to do it is find a 1/16 or close piece of aluminum or good flat aircraft ply and use it as a spacer level your "spacer" up to bottom drill mount adjust the tabs and they will be straight I lost all the pics I had on my computer and this is the closest mono transom I have on photobucket its a 44" calcraft but it will give you an idea

Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 AM
eengler

Thanks! i'll do it just about 1/16 above, or "a hair away from flush" toyotatruking/rcuniverse 2009. hahhahahahahha. I got all the hardware already, the little speedmaster 20 stinger looks great! The boat should be here early next week. I'll let you guys know, I am also going to need help with the stuffing tube/box.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM
wetherbeec

Your trim tabs should be 1/16 up and your stinger drive also, make a jig out of plywood, I use 1/4" and glue a 1/16 piece to it, that will get your tabs were they need to be. I think it's good you decided to go with the tabs you can trim the boat more this way, I'm going to try to put some picks in so you can see my speedmaster setup on an SV27.

My SCARAB
Old 10-31-2009, 03:31 PM
eengler

Hey Guys!! This is the second weekend I take out the 20 speedmaster mono. First of all, i want to say THANK YOU for helping me make such a good decision purchasing this boat!!! This boat does not have a "hook", easy to drive, lifts easy, turns great (w/o a turnfin), and great speeds! Well the first day I took out the boat, it did not have the trim tabs, It was fast but it was bouching, as i put some negative on the stinger then it started to torque steer. Then I installed the trim tabs. When I took out the boat today, it ran BEAUTIFUL, running straight, no torque steer, neutral stinger and just a little negative on the trim tabs! I attached some pictures, not soo good but it is what i could get. As far as speed, I am guessing between 45-47mph. It's really quick!

Name:	Ig11241.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1305575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58994.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1305576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73087.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1305577  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
airwolf81
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own this boat now it has a AA/21 engine on it now lol.