Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

.21 Zippkit ready to go

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: .21 Zippkit ready to go

For those worried about the boat eating some roostertail through the carb, an exhaust deflector is too small. They make larger ones for the 4-wheelers that go on the carb for those spots under a body where they need to have an air filter out of the way.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 AM
misshydro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just had Dan Kramer told joe tonight,you better put scoop over the carb opening on the cowl.. said his hit a rooster tail in the turns and killed the boat when water was injusted in the carb...joe kindof liked the carb hole in the cowl..joe is thinking about making cowls for theJAE.12 and if he can get his hands on a jae.21 or top deck and could do the .21's too.. I think he going to make the .12 cowl mold this weekend?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80603.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1426810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81378.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1426811  
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: mtruex

the zoom carb is supposed to be like that,its part of the design, and it is a great carb (do not change it) ......your engine will not idle any better with the speedmaster carb, they have no low speed needles in them, they are not meant to idle...if it will idle with either carb i can promise it will be too lean when it hits the water...you will have to blip the throttle a little when out of the water to keep it running...

what exactly have you done to the engine? 35plus runs real good with a few things done to it, not sure what machine marks you took out?

My Zoom carb, sorry I had to buff it. really sharp on the step downs. If I blew & 65.00 my mistake . You leave it Unfinished ? I have a Bushnell radar gun coming. I will be testing that carb/ props setup. Speedmaster/ zoom.21 run off
I was talking about my P5 Picco .21 honing my crank machine marks
Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
advanced builder

Got my tower hobby stuff, 1 gal of 50% nitro & new servo for my .12 & a Bushnell radar gun from , radarguns.com Will be back with some # & pics
Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Erik Steinbring

How did it go?

I am still painting sponsons...................ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had one almost perfect till I did something stupid...........so I am back to wet sanding almost back to 2000 grit. I had to take a break from them or go insane. So I have opted to clean the warehouse, once that is over I will be completing the build and look forward to getting it in the water.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 PM
advanced builder

Hello guys, I have been to the pond in Elmira, NY . The first meet of the Summer, setup & test. I had good/bad luck. The .12 Zippkit ran strong, the .21 ran some . Still having a problem on the start. I had a few hands to help out. No luck yet. The .21 Dumas V ran the best. The weather cut us short. High winds. I was glad for the help. It's hard not having anyone close. Good weekend anyways
Old 05-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Ron Olson

At least you've been to the lake. The weather is lousy here as I think that we missed summer completely and headed back for winter again!
Two "getting there" shots.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13654.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1433153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99156.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1433154  
Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 AM
advanced builder

Ron, I woke up to snow. Just a little but COLD. The winds have calmed down. I did get a lot of video, 20 hulls were running . Most of the guys have the big stuff,gas I had the smallest with the .12 I need to sort tru the videos. We don't have a class for the little .12 Yet
PS I hate them styo pins in the water . I hit 2 with the v-hull
Good weekend
Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Ron Olson

We didn't get snow here but further north they were supposed to have. We just had frost warnings overnight and was 39 when I typed up the last reply.
I've still got to get some props yet, one thing that somehow I overlooked until a week ago. I shot Mark Sholund an e-mail and he's backlogged for a good 3 weeks so I'll probably have Gary Preusse send me a couple of stock ones to get me going. I need to contact his son David again about getting the cowlings too.
I still have a lot of little stuff to get done now, hooking up the throttle linkage and fabbing up a pipe bracket, stuff like that.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
advanced builder

Ya I here you Ron, I have some cleanup to do. I was tired last night. Them boats sure can tire you out. You get a workout & don't know it. One good thing is you, your inside working on the boats. To cold to go out.LOL
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Ron Olson

It's a good tired though. Having stuff scattered all over the basement makes me run around a lot. I've been trying to get an hour a night down there as it's nice and quiet, a lot of the time around 12:30 AM until about 2:00 AM before hitting the hay. SometimesI can get there for a little while before heading off to work and when possible, take a little something with me to the shop to mess with.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
mtruex

how long is the pipe, what prop, how much nitro, and are you getting any heat in the motor? also did you set the head clearance it is very excessive out of the box on 35plus..if you are running stock nova water jacket and not restricting the water you will have some trouble,especially if water is cold...
Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM
advanced builder

how long is the pipe, what prop, how much nitro, and are you getting any heat in the motor? also did you set the head clearance it is very excessive out of the box on 35plus..if you are running stock nova water jacket and not restricting the water you will have some trouble,especially if water is cold...
I just cut 1 " off the pipe to bring it down to 8 1/2" I didn't realize it was that long. It's a OPS #3280 pipe. Prop is a 1440 Octura . 50 % NITRO. I did get it to go with 215 prather SS a little it did a few circles . I shut her down to fix my rudder.She doesn't like the take offs ,goes a few feet then stalls. I did learn a few things from Bill Kozuck He runs a few riggers @ them speeds. The settings on my radio , rudder throw is NOW 40 % each way. Still need to learn my driving skills @ them speeds. The .12 is more my learner. I need some room with that speed of the .21 I need more running time.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
mtruex

i am talking about the 21

measure from glow plug straight back to center of the pipe, set that at 3 1/4-3 1/2...if you have not set the head clearance to .006-.007 do it , this is very important especially with the motor that you have...

a 215 or a 1440 is a very small prop for a 21 and it should launch and be on the pipe almost instantly, make sure it is rich enough that you have to give it some throttle to keep it running on the beach...

are you restricting your water into the engine ? these boats launch very very easy so you will get there, just need to make sure everything is in order...
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
advanced builder

yup 3 3/8" will ck head ,what kind of line squeezer u need? gotta pic? mini c clamp
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Ron Olson

You might want to use the 215 or 1440 for break-in but move up later on as I've pulled both of those with an anemic .12.
Martin, are you using Glenn's header? I've got that but have the Cooper pipe on mine right now but have an OPS 3.5 (not a 3280) that I might try but that one looks more like it'd be a better .12 pipe as it's very close in size to a Mac.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 PM
mtruex

no no no.... the head clearance, as in the distance between the squish band of the head button, and the top of the piston at top dead center...understand?

ron, on the 21 yes the nova header from glenn, on the 12s i like the associated header, i like my pipe short..the cooper pipe works very good, more rpm than 3280 little less grunt, let that thing sing..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
advanced builder

NO I'm in the dark, sorry how do I CK my head clearance & more important how do I set it?
OK I fount it on the K&B web site. Will talk soon
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Ron Olson

I think that Dynamite used to sell a cleance gauge, it's been a while since I had mine, loaned it out and never saw it again.
Remove the head and set it on something flat like a piece of glass then zero it out. Place the head back on the engine then turn it over until it reaches TDC and that will tell you how much clearance that you have. That's one way as there should be one more way to do it which is just the opposite but tells you the same thing in the end.
Terry Keeley used to sell a set of feeler gauges that you could inset through the glow plug hole, I don't know if he still makes them or not. You can call Gary Preusse at 630-279-2451 as he sold them for Terry.
Plasti-gauge might work also. A good speed shop or engine rebuilder may have that in stock. Check a NAPA store, better odds of them carrying it than one of the other automotive chain stores.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
mtruex

i you get a gauge you will have to zero it with the head button sitting on top of the piston out of the engine because it has a dish on the top of the piston...the clearance needs to be set at .006.. to make the clearance less you take out some shims from under the head button or use a thinner one depending on what is in there now..it is very simple but very important...do you have a set of calipers to measure things? you could use them if you do, some guys use solder, its not as accurate, but it will get you close...
Old 05-11-2010, 07:35 AM
advanced builder

i you get a gauge you will have to zero it with the head button sitting on top of the piston out of the engine because it has a dish on the top of the piston...the clearance needs to be set at .006.. to make the clearance less you take out some shims from under the head button or use a thinner one depending on what is in there now..it is very simple but very important...do you have a set of calipers to measure things? you could use them if you do, some guys use solder, its not as accurate, but it will get you close...
I just CKed my clearance it's .012 With a shim. I did order some shims ,will get later in the week.
http://www.woodrcboatproducts.com/head_shims.htm
Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM
mtruex

ok, just take out .006 shim and your good to go...
Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
advanced builder

Hello Ron, What was that pipe on the .21 Rigger, lookin good Got my head shims ,one day, Great service. I also redone my pipe saver/holder. Got my screws on the side, NOT ,penetrating the radio compartment. I guess I'm ready to run. with the new adjustments. Going to be Soon
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM
advanced builder

My Bushnell radar gun went bad, out of the box. Worked one day & died . I am waiting for a new one to come. Radarguns .com They cent one right out. good company No hassles
I do have some videos of the day at the lake. Everyone had trouble with the pins I did my best to hit everyone. I am still adding to my youtube channel some editing need to be done http://www.youtube.com/user/neillagarry
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 PM
advanced builder

OK my Friends ,Finally a good run She ran GREAT 1/2 way threw the video she heats up & sings WHAT A DAY
http://www.youtube.com/user/neillagarry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.