Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave with my TT

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Shockwave with my TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
fastpepper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave with my TT

Well, first day on the water with the new electronics and the new engine... also while i got the new engine i stepped up the prop 2 sizes, and got them to polish and balance it.
( looks really really good )
so, i started slow, broke in the new engine in in the water, just doing slow laps JUST above plaining speed.
maybe 3-4 "blips" every 5 mins or so... but mostly just slow.... then after 3 1/2 tanks i decide thats enough for this. and i let it run right out for maybe 200m.
let me just note that i have taken Ron's advice and moved the tabs almost so they are touching the metal drive harness.
So back to the story....
it was a bit weak on the acceleration ( i think the needle settings were still rich for break in ) but the top end speed.... OMG
it sounded like it got top RPM after 1-2 seconds at full throttle and boy did it shoot off... my local hobby shop's boss was running his shockwave 36 ( stock, he just bought it )
and i blew the doors off him... he said i was passing him with at least a 7 knot difference.... i could go beside him at 5/8th throttle and hold him while he was goosed...
it felt really nice to control too, the added weight of the engine is nice, ( along with the relocation of the batteries in front of the gas tank)
All in all after 3 hours on the water, i felt like the day couldn't be better...
The new TT engine looks and sounds amazing.
Very clean looking too, the belt starter is a very nice thing compared to the tiger drive...
Justin
Old 03-24-2010, 07:08 PM
rcguy1411

Default RE: Shockwave with my TT

glad to see that everything has worked out well for you now you have to get some pic s up for us to see what radio did you end up gettig?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Dan S

great fastpepper,

I'm happy it turned out well for you and the TT is working nicely.

Dan.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
fastpepper

well i used the Traxxas 27mhz reciever and crystals... the worked with my old servos and transmitter..
i was happy about that...
and im sorry but pics are gnna have to wait until i find my camera.. my 3yr. old bro must have taken it off my bedside table...
X_X
Justin
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM
wave waker

hey post pics of ur boat with the engine...good to hear about the break-in coz usually break-in is frustrating to many..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:57 PM
fastpepper

like i said.. camera is yet to be found.... LOL
i will asap
i really want to radar the boat now... it seems REALLY fast....
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
apache 1

Congrats Fastpepper. How the hell did you get that done so fast???????? Oh ya thats right, you're a "FASTPEPPER". We gotta see shots of your build buddy. Man I'm dieing to see a vid.
At any rate way to go.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
bigcam406

congrats.luv to see pics and vids as well.what size thunder tiger engine did you use?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM
fastpepper

Hey guys... so Camera is still MIA......... but yea... its a TT . 46.
it does around 7 or some odd knots faster than stock, with batteries up by fuel tank, and different prop.
it goes guys...
and hey, whats up with only the canadian people commenting? whats up my U.S neighbour, your help is really nice too eh?
just noticing that...
anyways have a good weekend guys!!! im hoping to run my boat a little more... i stripped the paint off last time for the speed i was going.... :P it was sick....
anyways guys ttyl!
Justin
Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Once the water warms up and it gets broken in you'll see a lot more speed. They all run doggy in cold water unless the lines get restricted.
Have fun!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
fastpepper

Good to know... Just went out on the lake again. and my stock shockwave did 36MPH, with stock everything... crazy chinewalking.... :P
but my new TT did 45-47 depending on which way i ran the boat, ( into the wind or with the waves )
so im quite happy with a 10MPH increse... i had 1-4 inch ripples... so it was fun.
i have one question, when turning the boat at high speed, i tend to keep the speed up and do a more sloping turn, but the boat wants to roll the waves sometimes.... and if i decrese the speed, it wil just stall and cavitate.... what should i do if i want to do a fast wide turn at 3/4 throttle... ?
Ron?
the trim tabs have helped alot, putting them closer together... there is a definate CG change with the new motor and the new placement of the batteries... its way more forward... so in the air the boat seems to be level... not ass down like it used to be... it looks really nice...
the TT is beginning to open up more ( i ran 5 tanks today ) and its really hauling.. i measured the speed in the morning when it was flat water, but it seemed to get faster as the day went.... so i have no idea how much this engine has left to show me... but its still increasing speed...
Cant wait to get my hobby store guy Jeff to come check this out...
The TT is an excellent motor.. converting the shaft to one that can handle the flywheel was SOO easy...
anyways
TTYL
Justin
Old 03-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Ron Olson

Wuuuuuuuut?
You need to play with the transom settings now as you want to get it to the point that it will run wide open in a 70-100 foot diameter turn. With the wind against you and the cold air/water combo that we have yet you just have to learn to drive with the existing conditions.
As far as the chinewalking thing, there are 3 things that can make it better or worse and two of them can be fixed by changing one and that's the prop. You said that you went up 2 sizes. That told us nothing essentially so exactly what is hanging off the transom now?
Props I'd be running; Octura X-447, X-448, X-450 in either 2 or3-blades or the X-646/3. A smaller prop can take away some chine-walking as it artificially raises the strut making the boat think that it's higher. That's where the smaller diameter X-646/3 comes in handy. We've also used the M-445/3 with very good results.
What speeds you're getting now isn't bad for a "sport" engine so you're off to a good start. Richen the carb up a few clicks, that should take care of the off-throttle stalling and/or raise the idle speed a little more.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
fastpepper

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Wuuuuuuuut?
You need to play with the transom settings now as you want to get it to the point that it will run wide open in a 70-100 foot diameter turn. With the wind against you and the cold air/water combo that we have yet you just have to learn to drive with the existing conditions.
As far as the chinewalking thing, there are 3 things that can make it better or worse and two of them can be fixed by changing one and that's the prop. You said that you went up 2 sizes. That told us nothing essentially so exactly what is hanging off the transom now?
Props I'd be running; Octura X-447, X-448, X-450 in either 2 or3-blades or the X-646/3. A smaller prop can take away some chine-walking as it artificially raises the strut making the boat think that it's higher. That's where the smaller diameter X-646/3 comes in handy. We've also used the M-445/3 with very good results.
What speeds you're getting now isn't bad for a "sport" engine so you're off to a good start. Richen the carb up a few clicks, that should take care of the off-throttle stalling and/or raise the idle speed a little more.
okay... it does a 100 foot diameter turn nicly at full.... but i like to be a little tighter... the chinewalking has basically gone away. ive done a mod to the stock trim tabs... ive bent the corners down so its parallel to the water when its at cruise speed... this makes it very interesting around the corners but it makes more of a platform for the boat when only the transom is in the water... seems to have basically stopped chinewalkn' altogether. which is very nice!
as for the propeller, the "two sizes" meant i was running a X-447, now im running X-450 Two blade....
i like two blades more i think... seem to suit my likeness more...
and whats the difference between a "sport" engine and a "performance" engine?
and btw, Jeff came down to the lake yesterday after i got to the lake after school... he bought a radar gun. i was running around 48-51 MPH.
very happy with that.
seems to be picking up speed... ( thanks for the tip about richening the mix. thats what got me over 50

Thanks
Justin
Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Ron Olson

A sport engine will have milder timing and a smaller carb. Keep in mind that the majority of RTR boaters are relatively new so the manufacturers don't put high-performance engines in their boats. It also helps to keep the costs down as they like to shoot for what they think that the market will bear. Myself, I'd rather see a hot-rodded RTR with better powerplants and decent radio systems if they cost more.