Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Rudder water pick up failure..please help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Rudder water pick up failure..please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:18 PM
infiniti03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder water pick up failure..please help!!

Hello fellas,
I am new to the nitro world of boating and everything has been going great.. until yesterday. I have a Blackjack 26 SS and all of sudden the water pick up to the rudder stopped flowing thru. I have cleared all the lines from debris and even ran a compressed air thru it. I also took a bottle of water and forced it through the lines and it worked perfectly. So thinking everything is fine, I put it back in the water and it still does not work. Can someone please help. This setup is so simple but yet I cannot figure it out why it wont draw water. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:12 PM
toyotatruckin

Default RE: Rudder water pick up failure..please help!!

Im not 100% sure but if everything is working like you say and worked before, what changed between when it was and was not? The pick-up is in the blade itself so unless the rudder moved up or you have the boat riding higher in the water it should still pick up water...Next is remove the cooling jacket from the engine and double check to make sure there is nothing in it, also most every RTR Ive seen has dirt cheap water/fuel line's so id also replace them with better tube possibly one is getting a slight kink in it or possibly collapsing etc. if after all that and it still dont flow you might think about a stand alone pick-up..hope that helps a little
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM
infiniti03

I dont think i have the rudder too far out of the water, im sure i would not be able to steer if that was the case...I think. I have taken off the head to to take off the cooling jacket(the blue round piece..right) but i thinkitis pressed on with a machine...i pushed and pushed and i could not get it off, i was unsure and did not want to break it. Also is there supposed to om of your be a hole at the bottom of your rudder and issealed off by a beige object. I took that piece out thinking it had jammed inside the rudder, but it still did not work. A guy from my local hobbyshop said it belongs there to create a vaccum for the water.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 PM
infiniti03

Has anyone ever used these aftermarketwater pickups before:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-80405&cat=123

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-80400&cat=123
Old 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM
toyotatruckin

The proboat cooling jacket goes over the button so when you took your 4 bolts of the button and jacket came off as one piece, the button has two o-rings that seal it, one around the outside edge and one around the glo plug hole, so it may be tight getting off due to the o-rings sticking, if you do get it apart put a little vaseline on both o-rings before you put it back together, if you can blow through it easy it isnt plugged enough to cause issue as water can flow either direction in the jacket, not sure on the rudder "plug" as I dont have a BJ rudder to look at but its my guess that proboat went all the way through on the water pick-up hole and just plugged it off with a plug (easier to mass produce maybe?) but yes if its got an open hole at the bottom of the rudder and at the top of it the water coming in from the pick-up hole will follow the path of least resistance (that will be out the bottom and do you no good for cooling) This is all taking into thought that when your checking for flow your going fast enough for the water to be forced through the system
Old 04-11-2010, 03:06 PM
toyotatruckin

you can make a pick-up for little to nothing its easy some 1/8 brass tube with an angle cut in the end (hobby shop) and some 1/8 nylon landing gear straps du-bro sells and at the hobby shop, screw to boat add water line and go if you have the ability you can make one from aluminum and put a set-screw in it so the rod dont ever move
Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
infiniti03

OK, thanks Truckin for all your help. Im going to call proboat tomorrow to seeif they can verify and other suggestions and if not im going for the offshore electronics water pickups, which I already purchased. I purchased two to go on both sides of the boat....two is always better than one. Im going to try what you said about the water collar and give it some more elbow grease.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, 2 isn't always better than one. It is possible to "overcool" an engine. If the engine is run too cold, you can have other issues show up. Poor idling and low power can be symptoms of overcooling
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
infiniti03

Did not think of that...good to know. Thanks

Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
infiniti03

Ok, now im convinced it the rudder, I dismanteled the cooling head and it was  very clean.  There may a hairline crack in the rudder thats causing pressure to be released or something. Although last time out, I saw a little water come out but nothing like it supposed to.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
connor.jaspin
Banned

bloe your own air from your mouth through one of the water inlets or outlets and see iff the air is going thru
Old 04-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Now that you say that you've gotten everything cleared out, are you driving it slowly to see if it has water flowing or does this happen at any speed? At low speeds it will have problems pushing water through the syste, one reason why it shouldn't be driven at low speeds for long as it will have to go so many MPH before it will push water up the pick-up tube.