Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Here is the tank I had made for the rigger.
Perfect fit! [8D] Good job!

How many ounces? The trick with narrow tubs and nitro engines is finding room for enough fuel. Gas engines just sip the fuel all day long.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM
engineman351

Bill...I do like the look of that tank. Who is making them to spec? I have a metal tank in my CB rigger and the Brick and Stony pond water seems to have had some reaction with it (nothing serious...but some discoloration)...I was thinking about switching it to an IV bag. Are you still pro hard tank vs the bag? Roger
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Bill...I do like the look of that tank. Who is making them to spec? I have a metal tank in my CB rigger and the Brick and Stony pond water seems to have had some reaction with it (nothing serious...but some discoloration)...I was thinking about switching it to an IV bag. Are you still pro hard tank vs the bag? Roger
Roger,
Here is a link to the gentleman that makes them to order (www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php). He makes both gas and nitro systems.

While I use bags, I still favor hand tanks. Bags in tight places tend to move when they are being emptied especially on the smaller bags. Larger bags not so much. A properly plumbed hard tank will last for a long time.

I may switch my Whiplash bag for one of these. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rigger is going to be natural with metallic fire red coach inlays. Will get Walt to stripe it and then shoot the clear. Hoping for 75+ with this one..................
Bill

BTW folks: I figured out how to post pics directly from your local machine instead of doing intermediate uploads.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: Blackout

How many ounces? The trick with narrow tubs and nitro engines is finding room for enough fuel. Gas engines just sip the fuel all day long.
Craig,
I believe this nets out around 12 ounces. Have to get my formulas out to calculate volume. I only need around 9 OZ for the average heat.
Bill
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Do these work Craig?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72658.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1836806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82733.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1836807  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW.... My allready fat head just grew a few hat sizes!!!JUST SAYIN!!
Mr. Toaster
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Billk44

Craig,
Take a look at the SGX's I sold to Neil. Both use metal tanks and have plenty of fuel. Walt Barney makes an excellent metal tank in tin or stainless with internal left rear hoppers. Sullivan types waste too much space with the rounded corners.
Bill
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
advanced builder

Yes Bill I have a Ryan fuel tank ,inside my 45 JAE rigger. But the thing about his tanks is the wall thickness of the plastic. You will have more fuel in a metal tank. They both sweat when left in the sun. I try to keep a shop towel over the hull. The 45 JAE Zip hull needs the tank as close to the side of the hull as possible. This is my first tank built by Walt Barney ,I didn't have enough fuel to finish a heat. My 2nd tub is shown I needed that 1/8" in the height of the tank and 1/4 on the length of the tank
HJ that's a nice looking hull

Name:	Eb86635.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1836986  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Blackout

HJ, that helps, thanks.

Bill, yes, good advise on the Walt Barney tanks. I have not used anything custom yet, but figured I would need to sooner or later.

Neil, clever idea putting the extra tank up front like that. Good job!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Canadian LoCo

Hello Guys well it's that time please go to the IMPBA site and vote on the proposed rule changes.
http://www.impba.net/

Please do and thank you guys.
Luc W.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Yes Bill I have a Ryan fuel tank ,inside my 45 JAE rigger. But the thing about his tanks is the wall thickness of the plastic. You will have more fuel in a metal tank. They both sweat when left in the sun. I try to keep a shop towel over the hull. The 45 JAE Zip hull needs the tank as close to the side of the hull as possible. This is my first tank built by Walt Barney ,I didn't have enough fuel to finish a heat. My 2nd tub is shown I needed that 1/8" in the height of the tank and 1/4 on the length of the tank
HJ that's a nice looking hull
The riggers are tough fits for tanks. Your mod should help. Always keep fuel tanks covered from heat. Cooler fuel = more power. If the motor is fat, it will guzzle the fuel. Testing, testing.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Blackout

Stony Pond members, something else to discuss tomorrow...

I think I decided to lengthen our driving stand another 16 feet so that it is 32 feet long. My main concern was that at 16 feet long, the maximum drivers would be only six. I'm pretty sure we are going to have 20 tunnel classes that are atleast 7 drivers, and I'd hate to split a 7 boat tunnel class into 2 heats. 20 tunnels are relatively slow and small, so 7 boat heats should be no problem.

One concern I had with adding to our current stand is I feel the stand is a little too close to the shoreline. It's about 6 feet from the shore line. Personally, I have no problem with this, but I was wondering if others have any problem with the stand being close to the water. We are all probably use to it because Elmira's stand is close to the water as well. But, outsiders might not like the fact that you are moving your head more when racing the front chute. Many clubs put their stand farther back. Some I think are even too far back. The farther back you go, the harder it will be to see boats on the back chute because of the longer distance and reduced downward viewing angle. Driving around dead boats on the back chute at Stony pond is a lot easier than at other ponds.

With a 32 foot long stand, there is room for the CD and judges. I want to build a somewhat enclosed area for the CD, so that there is no concern of rain messing with the paperwork and electronic equipement. The best and easiest way to do this is to put the CD area all the way to the right (north). This puts the start line all the way to the right as well. If you are at the very left end of the stand, your view of the start line will be not as good, and you could be more likely to jump the start. Personally, I see this as an exceptable compromise, but was curious what others thought. Putting the CD in the middle and on a raised structure behind the drivers has some other issues. One being is that the structure would be too high for my liking.

Another issue. We can save money and time by just keeping one stairway. But, most driver stands have stairs on both sides. The only time when one stairs is a problem is when someone's boat decides to stall at launch and they need to go down the stairs to restart at the same time as others are going up the stairs to race. Otherwise, everyone is going up or down at the same time, so one stairs is not an issue. Any thoughts?

Think about it and let me know tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Billk44

Stony Pond members, something else to discuss tomorrow...

I think I decided to lengthen our driving stand another 16 feet so that it is 32 feet long. My main concern was that at 16 feet long, the maximum drivers would be only six. I'm pretty sure we are going to have 20 tunnel classes that are atleast 7 drivers, and I'd hate to split a 7 boat tunnel class into 2 heats. 20 tunnels are relatively slow and small, so 7 boat heats should be no problem.

One concern I had with adding to our current stand is I feel the stand is a little too close to the shoreline. It's about 6 feet from the shore line. Personally, I have no problem with this, but I was wondering if others have any problem with the stand being close to the water. We are all probably use to it because Elmira's stand is close to the water as well. But, outsiders might not like the fact that you are moving your head more when racing the front chute. Many clubs put their stand farther back. Some I think are even too far back. The farther back you go, the harder it will be to see boats on the back chute because of the longer distance and reduced downward viewing angle. Driving around dead boats on the back chute at Stony pond is a lot easier than at other ponds.

With a 32 foot long stand, there is room for the CD and judges. I want to build a somewhat enclosed area for the CD, so that there is no concern of rain messing with the paperwork and electronic equipement. The best and easiest way to do this is to put the CD area all the way to the right (north). This puts the start line all the way to the right as well. If you are at the very left end of the stand, your view of the start line will be not as good, and you could be more likely to jump the start. Personally, I see this as an exceptable compromise, but was curious what others thought. Putting the CD in the middle and on a raised structure behind the drivers has some other issues. One being is that the structure would be too high for my liking.

Another issue. We can save money and time by just keeping one stairway. But, most driver stands have stairs on both sides. The only time when one stairs is a problem is when someone's boat decides to stall at launch and they need to go down the stairs to restart at the same time as others are going up the stairs to race. Otherwise, everyone is going up or down at the same time, so one stairs is not an issue. Any thoughts?

Think about it and let me know tomorrow. Thanks!
Just my .02 on this. Excellent analysis on expansion. I personally don't think it is too close to the water. You really have to keep you head moving anyway. The expansion will really make Stony Pond a great place to race and word of mouth will travel very fast. If stair traffic gets nuts, you could always adopt the Navy way they control their ladders. Up one side, down the other.

Your club is really coming together very fast and I am really glad to see it. You can never have enough help - good job folks.
Bill
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Maybe a fireman's slide pole for a fast way down? BTW, here's another boat shot or two for you

Name:	Qo40677.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1837050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95403.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1837051  
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Maybe a fireman's slide pole for a fast way down? BTW, here's another boat shot or two for you
The trouble with the slide pole is it will get like the 3 stooges, one on top another. And how do I hold my transmitter.sliding down. We could add a kiddy slide. or water slide
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Canadian LoCo

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

Hello Guys well it's that time please go to the IMPBA site and vote on the proposed rule changes.
http://www.impba.net/

Please do and thank you guys.
Luc W.
Hey guys if you can't get on the IMPBA site
you can send me an e-mail of what your votes would be and I send them out to the IMPBA Office
so your votes will be counted
Old 01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Luc,

That is a great idea! This way, all IMPBA members that cannot get in to the IMPBA site (for whatever reason) can still vote!

How do you want the email formatted?

Regatta- (Yes or No)

Jersey Skiff-(Yes or No)

Twin gas rigger-(Yes or No)

Joe
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

The trouble with the slide pole is it will get like the 3 stooges, one on top another. And how do I hold my transmitter.sliding down. We could add a kiddy slide. or water slide
Or stay on top and let your pit guy do all the work to get her going again! Of course, during the gas heats this is a non issue.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
parshallboatworks

GO BIG OR STAY HOMEI LIKE TWINS...TWICE THE FUN!!!!!
Rick theToaster
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Canadian LoCo

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Luc,

That is a great idea! This way, all IMPBA members that cannot get in to the IMPBA site (for whatever reason) can still vote!

How do you want the email formatted?

Regatta- (Yes or No)

Jersey Skiff-(Yes or No)

Twin gas rigger-(Yes or No)

Joe
Thanks Joe
well it dosent matter how it's sent to me has long
you let me know if it's a yes or no on the proposed rule Changes.

your format works well.
Regards
Luc
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: parshallboatworks

GO BIG OR STAY HOME[img][/img] I LIKE TWINS...TWICE THE FUN!!!!![img][/img]
Rick theToaster[img][/img]
Another hull pops from the "Toaster", well done!!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a close up look at the work done by Rick "The Toaster".

A-MAZ-ING!

It's almost like he builds stuff with wood for a living...

It was good to see everyone today.

Joe
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Got a close up look at the work done by Rick ''The Toaster''.

A-MAZ-ING!

It's almost like he builds stuff with wood for a living...

It was good to see everyone today.

Joe
Yes, fun day! And we got stuff done as well!

Thanks to everyone that showed and contributed! And thanks to Cindy and Tom for hosting!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
advanced builder

Thanks Joe ,I owe you another dinner, Outback OK ? Your suggestions were greatly appreciated. And well thought out. you get a At-a-boy - at a Barbi Thanks T&C for hosting the meeting. I will send out the engine in the mail tomorrow. No one looked a year older. Good to see everyone and meet a few new members.
Now- how to get past this winter. [8D] Build a hull. Rick nice looking twin. build how many down so far? without paint.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
parshallboatworks

Thanks Joe ,I owe you another dinner, Outback OK ? Your suggestions were greatly appreciated. And well thought out. you get a At-a-boy - at a Barbi Thanks T&C for hosting the meeting. I will send out the engine in the mail tomorrow. No one looked a year older. Good to see everyone and meet a few new members.
Now- how to get past this winter. [8D] Build a hull. Rick nice looking twin. build how many down so far? without paint.
Thanks Niel and Joe... I take pride in what I do.. Alot of credit to Joe and ZIPPKITS... without such a nice product I would have to work twice as hard to make things come out so nice!!!(IE:an old stomped out Dumas kit..oops did I just say that??) Thanks to everyone and the nice comments on builds.. And for Tom and Cindy for sharing the Driver household with a bunch of nitro/gas sniffing speed freaks like us!!! I think we all owe Joe a lunch or two!!!Joe you are the man!! You take good care of us and it is appreciated by all of us!!!
Thanks also to Craig,who without his visions of a great spot to do our thing and all the work and money he has put into that dream,the reality of our great place to run,test and race may not have come to life!!! thanks to everyone in club,for all the ideas,hard work,and input all of this is what makes a great club!!! I KNOW we will succede if we all continue to work together and get organized into a well oiled machine,things will happen!! LETS SHOW EM HOW AWESOME STONY POND BOAT CLUB IS!!!!
BTW,Neil... 4 in and so far 4 to go...plus my own JAE.45 to run this season!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.