Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

ORIGINAL: gassertom

Guys
Whats the motor of choice for the 12 gigger?

Thanks T&C
You can get a .12 Novarossi from Glenn Quarles for around $160. He has a carb mod for it too that gets rid of the low speed needle.

Otherwise, look at some of the .12 and .18 car engines. Bob has a .18 side exhaust engine that runs very well. Some of these engines will cost under $100.

At this time, the rear exhaust .18 engines are not legal according to the Elmira supplimental rules.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
advanced builder

Tom here is the .12 Nova Rossi Glenn also sells the Texas pipe, air finned top head , No water needed for the .12 NR they love it hot.
http://novarossi.us/component/page,s...art/Itemid,75/
Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM
engineman351

I couldn't pass up another chance to get a run in at Stony Pond!! The water was down about a foot and a half, but there was still enough clear water on the South end to do some testing. I tried out my new TS3 tunnel with my OS OB off the VS1...but with a pipe added. It looks pretty promising and was showing quite a bit of speed. However after the boat showed some odd handling, darting to the right and left...almost like signal loss, I decided to park it. I will check out the radio components and make sure there aren't any metal to metal issues. The funny thing is that Craig experienced almost the same issue with his Vision Craft after he added the pipe to his OS. Anyone have any thoughts on using a pipe on an OS OB??? Just so I could end the day (and maybe the season!!) on an absolute up note, I fired up the .21 Seaducer and ran a tank out to finish the day. It ran great and really hustles through the corners.

We should try getting together for dinner some nite over the winter to do some bench racing. We could even drift a little East so it wouldn't be too far for Neil and Joe... maybe near Geneva. Comments welcomed!!!

Thanks again to Craig for providing us with a great place to run. It can only be better with the work to widen the pond that is planned along with the timing traps. Roger C.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM
advanced builder

I got the time Roger. We cooked a turkey on the grill yesterday. Still mild outside. I do have a hull ready to test. I may take it to a little lake in Fulton. One of the .67 CMB is rebuilt. I plan to have 2 engine ready for each .67 hull. Next year. Randall is voter out and Luc is in. He called me last night. With some new ideals to talk about. Change is good sometimes.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Canadian LoCo

Hello guys the result's are out on the IMPBA web site front page.

http://www.impba.net/
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

Luc, Congrats! I'm already looking forward to next season....
Old 11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

I couldn't pass up another chance to get a run in at Stony Pond!! The water was down about a foot and a half, but there was still enough clear water on the South end to do some testing. I tried out my new TS3 tunnel with my OS OB off the VS1...but with a pipe added. It looks pretty promising and was showing quite a bit of speed. However after the boat showed some odd handling, darting to the right and left...almost like signal loss, I decided to park it. I will check out the radio components and make sure there aren't any metal to metal issues. The funny thing is that Craig experienced almost the same issue with his Vision Craft after he added the pipe to his OS. Anyone have any thoughts on using a pipe on an OS OB??? Just so I could end the day (and maybe the season!!) on an absolute up note, I fired up the .21 Seaducer and ran a tank out to finish the day. It ran great and really hustles through the corners.

We should try getting together for dinner some nite over the winter to do some bench racing. We could even drift a little East so it wouldn't be too far for Neil and Joe... maybe near Geneva. Comments welcomed!!!

Thanks again to Craig for providing us with a great place to run. It can only be better with the work to widen the pond that is planned along with the timing traps. Roger C.
Sounds like a good idea to meet for dinner sometime during the long winter. I'm in.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Luc, Congrats! I'm already looking forward to next season....
Same here Luc , Can't wait till Spring. I 'll come kick some Canadian booty, LOL on that one you guys run pretty fast. Ive seen it.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Canadian LoCo

Hello all I would like to say thank you to all that have taken
time to vote in this election.
and a bigger thank you to all that have voted for me.
now let's put D1 back in a forward motion.

Regards
Luc white
Old 11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
gassertom

A mid-winter "meeting" sounds great - keep us updated. It's pretty boring from now until soft water again.

Tom & Cindy
Old 11-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Canadian LoCo

hey guys have you seen this 4 of them
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=798596
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Blackout

Roger and others who are interested in tunnels, have you seen this thread? [X(] Check out John Otto's O/B setup.... [8D]

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?...c=48768&st=135
Old 11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
engineman351

I dislike the distortion of the rules to attempt or achieve an advantage that is clearly not in keeping with concept of the class. Ultimately the 'rules' have to be more definitive on what that concept is because it is the nature of a racer to try challenging the rules. From the thread dialog I think NAMBA is a much closer to maintaining the outboard concept by linking the class to the appearance of full size OPC tunnels. I guess the 'rules' could eliminate the issue by defining a distance or percent of hull length that the engine pivot point can be forward of the rear edge of the sponsons and/or that the the rudder and propellor shaft must be part of the lower unit, can only be offset by 'X' amount, and must articulate and move in equal amounts of travel. Just like there are 'pickle fork' measurements and hull design rules for sport hydros there could be an transom position rule for Tunnels. My 2 cents. Roger
Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
advanced builder

That is one long driveline.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
advanced builder

hey guys have you seen this 4 of them
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=798596
I have a few .67 Picco's ready for next year.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Blackout

I dislike the distortion of the rules to attempt or achieve an advantage that is clearly not in keeping with concept of the class. Ultimately the 'rules' have to be more definitive on what that concept is because it is the nature of a racer to try challenging the rules. From the thread dialog I think NAMBA is a much closer to maintaining the outboard concept by linking the class to the appearance of full size OPC tunnels. I guess the 'rules' could eliminate the issue by defining a distance or percent of hull length that the engine pivot point can be forward of the rear edge of the sponsons and/or that the the rudder and propellor shaft must be part of the lower unit, can only be offset by 'X' amount, and must articulate and move in equal amounts of travel. Just like there are 'pickle fork' measurements and hull design rules for sport hydros there could be an transom position rule for Tunnels. My 2 cents. Roger
Yup, I agree. IMPBA could still allow that to be done on a O/B rigger, but the tunnel rules should be revised to keep that class looking more scale.

Neil, not sure why John made his drive line so long. He could have made it an inch or so shorter, but he must have a reason.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:24 PM
moparbarn

for weight distribution/balance. that & a straighter flexshaft. i have seen this boat in charleston at the WTC & talked to john about it. runs ok, but not any better than a "normal" ob. i agree, the tunnel classes should retain a scale appearance. thinking outside the box should be encouraged, not discouraged - but not at the expense of the original intent of having an OUTBOARD class.........
Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: moparbarn

for weight distribution/balance. that & a straighter flexshaft. i have seen this boat in charleston at the WTC & talked to john about it. runs ok, but not any better than a ''normal'' ob. i agree, the tunnel classes should retain a scale appearance. thinking outside the box should be encouraged, not discouraged - but not at the expense of the original intent of having an OUTBOARD class.........
Are you gonna do something similar on your outboard riggers?

It's interesting that IMPBA rules allow you to fix a O/B engine solid and run a rudder on O/B riggers. Apparantely, O/B riggers could make up their own class back in the day.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM
moparbarn

no craig, i'm gonna stay with a traditional ob setup. i will use a rek lower for weight savings. i still haven't decided about locking down the engine/lower & steering with a separate rudder. i will prolly try both setups & unless the separate rudder show obvious gains, i will stick with turning the ob. even though it's allowed by impba, somehow locking the engine down & using a separate rudder just isn't an outboard, as i know them!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:13 AM
advanced builder

Here is a great deal ,$40.00 Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16698.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1687320  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM
engineman351

Craig, When I first got into RC boats, the Rochester club had a 'fleet' of outboard riggers. I never saw a fixed rudder, but they usually chopped about four inches off the tub of an inboard rigger and moved the transom well forward of the rear sponson backs. The other trick was that the skeg was cut off and a ss 'rudder/skeg' was bolted to the cav plate to achieve right 'offset' outside the prop wash. I think Prather even made those for their Piranah riggers and tunnels. RC
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Blackout

Craig, When I first got into RC boats, the Rochester club had a 'fleet' of outboard riggers. I never saw a fixed rudder, but they usually chopped about four inches off the tub of an inboard rigger and moved the transom well forward of the rear sponson backs. The other trick was that the skeg was cut off and a ss 'rudder/skeg' was bolted to the cav plate to achieve right 'offset' outside the prop wash. I think Prather even made those for their Piranah riggers and tunnels. RC
That would have been fun to watch! I should have gotten more involved in the hobby back when I was a teenager and runnning at our cottage. I always planned to but never did. I was actually an IMPBA member for a few years around 1990, but I never made it to a club race.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
engineman351

Craig, I'm thinking that when I started RC boating at the MCC pond...you were in diapers...not a teenager ...and Frankie G. had dark hair, and I HAD hair!! LOL, RC
Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMAO!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Blackout

Craig, I'm thinking that when I started RC boating at the MCC pond...you were in diapers...not a teenager ...and Frankie G. had dark hair, and I HAD hair!! LOL, RC
I was out of diapers in 1973. So when did you start rc boating?

You guys will be back in diapers soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.