Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

I really can't wait to get back there and race with you gentlemen. You too neil.
Once the Thompsons get back here, we will have to do some racin'...

Again, that pnd looks completely different and much better!

Joe
Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
engineman351

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pond does look good!! PropCircle's Gas Sport Hydro looked pretty good going around the bouys!! I met 'moparbarn' (Robin) from IW over the weekend. He lives in VA but is familiar with Rochester. He and some of his fellow boaters are looking at coming up to race in NY if they can fit it in to their schedules. If the weather holds I'll be at Stony Pond to test a couple of tunnels later in the week (revamped Predator and the TS3). My son, Tom, is still building his TS3. It looks like I better get hot on getting my gas stuff ready for the season!! Roger
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Blackout

Yes, the larger pond is nice, but it still is tight so watch out for the banks. There are some roots sticking up on the submerged island, but they will get cut or pulled this summer. PropCircles took advantage of the new length when his sport hydro took flight....

Roger, come down anytime.

Still working on the gas mono. The little things take long...
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
engineman351

Craig, EVERYTHING take me a long time!!! To add to the jobs on the bench, I have a gas motor to fix for the store. I have started to install the electronics in the radiobox for the Cobra 2. I am using HiTec 225 for the throttle and a 645MG for the steering. Hope to make it out to Stony Pond this week with the TS3. Roger
Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM
gassertom

Hi Guys - it turns out that our new smart phone is way smarter than us - still can't figure out how to get the videos from last weekend onto you tube. Will keep trying, but so far the smart phone wins out.
We've acquired (2) "new to us" monos - one a 20 size (for Cindy - 21 GO-Motor) and a 40/60 (for Tom - 67 Picco). See attahced photo. Still need to finish theJAE12- as usual, running out of time.
Tom & Cindy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29056.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1742285  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: gassertom

Hi Guys - it turns out that our new smart phone is way smarter than us - still can't figure out how to get the videos from last weekend onto you tube. Will keep trying, but so far the smart phone wins out.[img][/img]
We've acquired (2) ''new to us'' monos - one a 20 size (for Cindy - 21 GO-Motor) and a 40/60 (for Tom - 67 Picco). See attahced photo. Still need to finish theJAE12- as usual, running out of time.
Tom & Cindy

Your monos look good! I like the red Seaducer!

Can you down load the video to your computer from your smart phone? If so, watch the video with Real Player. Real Player should have an option to "do more with video", and one option is to upload to a You Tube account. That's how I do it.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM
gassertom

What type of prop would I use on my 40 microburst (67 picco power)???

Tom
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
engineman351

Tom, Here are Octura's recommendations: DEEPVEE - INBOARD - SURFACE PROP 11 cc - X457, X457/3, X460...DEEPVEE - INBOARD - SUBMERGED PROP 11 cc - X447/3, X448, X452, X646/3, X648, X548. I have a Twin-Craft 41" DV with a Picco.67 (EXR) that has the stuffer tube thru the bottom of the hull, but it runs right up against the keel (not out the transom)...and it uses a sharpened and balanced X455 which is sort of between Octura's surface drive and submerged drive recommendations. It works well. If your Microburst is surface drive I'd start with the X457. If you don't have one I'll let you use one of mine to try it. Roger
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 AM
advanced builder

Tom thanks for the help on my nitro Vee, YOU got a golden shower with nitro, But came back for more!!! Gotta love that. My original needle setting were way off.
Looks like that .67 vee class is going to be a good challenge this season. Nice looking hulls Tom. I get into trouble with the riggers ,not so with a vee hull. X455 x557 are a good start. I recently got a few props from AB. I have one for that microBurst hull was a X655 cup 4.5 60mm tongue cut. I had to wait 3 months for that,prop. I will be testing that soon with a AB billet pipe. I wanted to see how it ran with that original setup, with a rebuilt engine.I'm kinda saving that prop ,until the season starts. I'd hate to chew it all up, with a bad pit stop.
Last season late run she was a dog. I know what I have in a rebuilt engine. The one thing I like about a CMB is they are well built.built to last. until I blow a rod. I did notice Bob Miller picking up a nice .21 Red head CMB. what's with that ??? He's a tunnel man
PS I did pic up a nice stop watch at the swap-shop .cheap I want to count laps times. So when we start a race we know when to launch. 15 seconds is close
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Blackout

Any of you guys buy aviation fuel from a local airport for your gas boats? I might try and buy some from the Canandaigua airport. I have my father's tail registration number that I can use if they need to see that. 100 octane, low lead, and NO ETHONAL....

Neil, You and Bob did good getting your gas Challenger running fast. That hull was airing out real good, with good speed too.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
advanced builder

Get some then we can experiment. Keep that under your hat.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/
Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Canadian LoCo

Hmmm they even have some Nitro
http://www.powermasterfuels.com/inde...id=8&Itemid=10
Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Canadian LoCo

Now the cat's out of the bag
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Billk44

Keep in mind the gas engines run on 87 or maybe 89 for the most part. Compression ratios and timing dictate the type of fuel required. Gas enigne are low compression. QD explicity states NOT to run other than 87 octane as it may make less power. I usually run 89 minimize the chance of detonation. Also keep in mind if you are going to run methanol or nitro, the flow has to be significantly or you will fry it. They do make alky carbs for the gassers but tests have proven there is no apprecable gain. Nitro must be run even richer than methanol.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Keep in mind the gas engines run on 87 or maybe 89 for the most part. Compression ratios and timing dictate the type of fuel required. Gas enigne are low compression. QD explicity states NOT to run other than 87 octane as it may make less power. I usually run 89 minimize the chance of detonation. Also keep in mind if you are going to run methanol or nitro, the flow has to be significantly or you will fry it. They do make alky carbs for the gassers but tests have proven there is no apprecable gain. Nitro must be run even richer than methanol.
Lots of do NOT on that site
What going on ,the pond may freeze up tonight.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Canadian LoCo

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Too Funny Neil
Hey Mister what are you going to put that QD in so you plan on running
in some open class???
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
advanced builder

Too Funny Neil
Hey Mister what are you going to put that QD in so you plan on running
in some open class???
I'm not saying
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 AM
advanced builder

Craig, they have a tread going on Jim's about Colman verse AV fuel - in the general section.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Billk44

Craig, they have a tread going on Jim's about Colman verse AV fuel - in the general section.
That discussion has been going on for years in one form or another. Neither contain ethanol. Coleman is basically Naptha and folks like that there is no odor. Avgas is solid but not needed. VP and others do not market their products as gasoline. They call it fuel and does not remotely smell like gasoline when burning. I still burn gasoline and will tolerate changing diaphragms rather than play with different fuels. Consistently counts when racing so I concentrate on the setup and tuning.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 AM
engineman351

Guy's I think I mentioned this a few pages back...If you hunt around you can find 'regular' gasoline that has no ethanol. It'll cost you a bit more, but I for one will continue to use it to avoid swapping out diaphrams (mainly because I'm too lazy to just change them on a schedule!!) The ethanol does "pucker'em up" after a month or two. I usually can buy fresh 'non-ethanol' gas on my way to Elmira in Penn Yan. I too, like Bill see no need to run the higher octane in a Zen or any other Zen based engine that doesn't have some radical compression. Here are the FAQ's from QD on fuel:

9) Can I use Race Fuel in my Quickdraw engine?
Race fuel won't hurt your QD engine at all, but most of it will make you run a little slower, unless you are having detonation problems. Here is how it works, the very most amount of energy is in 87 octane regular pump gas. As the octane rating goes up, detonation resistance goes up and the energy per gallon goes down. The trick is being able to run on 87 without detonating. If detonation sets in, you will lose a lot more power than you will by going to a higher octane fuel. So if this is what it takes to make it not detonate, then use it. But if you are not detonating on 87, this will be the fastest.

10) What is the difference between 87 and 97 octane for the QD engine?
You will get your best performance in the QD with 87 octane. Higher Octane will not hurt the engine, but you will lose some power. If you are in a country that does not have 87 octane, just use the lowest octane that is available at the pump and you will be fine. Some countries measure octane differently than the USA and their 93 octane is about the same as the USA 87 octane. Higher octane gasoline has a higher resistance to detonation but it has less energy because of it. If everything is set up correctly for your QD and you have enough air circulation through the boat, you will not have any detonation problem with 87 octane.

Roger
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
advanced builder

I'm not a gas expert. That's why this is asked. I did notice one marina just outside Geneva they sell non-ethanol. Last season Bob got some non-ethanol from his local marina. The stuff was bad last seasons ,old fuel. So I'll wait well into the season to get some. What about Pennsylvania, do you run non-ethanol in your gas stations,Bill. We don't have many in the state that has non-ethanol. How can you tell if detonation is happening? I think you can see it on top of a piston, Yes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Blackout

Good info guys! Thanks.

I was just thinking, I wonder why I have not had to replace any carb parts on my Stihl chainsaw. I have been running 10% ethonal in that for 5 years with no problems.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Blackout

I think Kwik Fill was one of the last to switch to 10% ethonal. Too bad....
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Billk44

The diaphragm in the Stihl may be weak and still perform. I have two cycle engines that run forever or seem to but they don't pull high RPM. Mod race engines turn higher RPM and need more fuel. Many times the race motors will run on the stand and die in water when the throttle is advanced (more fuel). It has happened to me more than once when I was not checking the diaphragms routinely. I always add Stabil Marine when mixing fuel and it keeps very well. Don't forget, bad fuel = gum in the ports (the tiny ones). Also remember if you try alky or nitro in these gas carbs, it will destroy them in short order.

Keep it simple unless you are just playing with a combination.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
engineman351

Craig, I think Bill is on the right track...we put a lot more fuel thru a mod Zen. Also, on my weedeaters and saws, I usually run them out of fuel when I store them so that might help the diaphram longevity. Funny thing last summer was that on one of our Elmira race weekends I drove back to the cottage on Keuka after a wind burst had shot through the area. A lot of tree limbs had come down around the property that I needed to cut up. I couldn't get my chainsaw to stay running. I took the carb off and found the pump diaphram was puckered and pretty stiff. I'm not sure what Walbro carb it is, but one of my spare WT257 diaphrams fit perfectly. I stuck the new diaphram in and the saw fired up and ran great. Not sure ethanol caused it, but a new diaphram was what was needed. Since, I've put my weedeaters and saws on the non-ethanol diet. Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.