Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Central NEW YORK boaters

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Central NEW YORK boaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM
engineman351

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Central NEW YORK boaters

Neil, I stopped out to the pond at 9Am this AM to test a customers boat and then went on to Watkins Glen for the NASCAR event. I will be going back to the 'Glen in the morning so no Sunday boating for me. Congrats on the Insane Gas Sport hydro. Walts boat is a nice piece. Good luck with it. Roger C.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 PM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks roger, i just clicked on the link you posted and it could not be found.. i went to impba website and tried to regester and it said i needed to join,but didnt get anywhere.maby you or someone could help me find my way..lol..not very good with computers,i could ask any of our 4 kids and they would probably have better luck.i will check again tomorrow as its kinda late ind i am beat. thanks again for the reply.will talk again.
from rick
Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: rickyak55

hi guys!! i followed over a years worth of posts!! wow stoney pond has come a long way!! still running on smith rd.?? like to join if still an option!! maby someone can send me the info.. is it more than 35$ now?? and what about joining namba?? never raced and my equipment looks slightly outdated, was into it in the early 80s and dropped off.(cars,women,kids,house) then airplanes and boats came back full force after my dad passed 5ys ago.. couldnt find anyone to run boats with as the club i was in was only into put-puts..lol.. my pay-n-pak and 40 deep-v scared them away.. and now i picked up a quickie40 (i think..)and are getting it ready to run. interested in hangin with some other speed freaks like me. just figuring this universe out after being a member for a little over a year(not real smooth with computers..) any info would be sweet. i live in bristol n.y. so cdga. would be nice.
thanks, rick p.

Stop down today as we are running 10:30- 11-12 We are always looking for a few good men & women,As we do have ladies that run Like Cindy Driver. Roger is right ,Craig{blackout}plans on another pond expansion,this fall. So any money donated goes for pond enlargement & upkeep. A small amount for all the goodies.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Blackout

Rick, It was good meeting you! Glad you decided to come down and check us out!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
advanced builder

Yes Rick
It was good to meet you. Living close by will be helpful. I have a few things that can help you out. And get you going. We all try to help each other out. Stony Pond is growing.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: Blackout

Rick, It was good meeting you! Glad you decided to come down and check us out!
thanks for the invite.. was good to hang with some speed freaks!! had fun and got motivated to get my clunkers going!!! took the hydro-rigger(pay-n-pak modified) out and checked everything over, seems ready to go. the deep-v however seems to have slow servos after getting used to the digitals on planes... gonna update that and change to 2.4. have to download the form for impba but cant get printer to work with new laptop...grrrrr!! now i am pumped to play nitro water polo...lol.. let me know what day/night you guys will be running again and hopefully i will have made progress on ins....
thanks again!!! rick
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

Yes Rick
It was good to meet you. Living close by will be helpful. I have a few things that can help you out. And get you going. We all try to help each other out. Stony Pond is growing.
was good to meet you guys too.. appreciate the invite... did some checking over on the modified pay-n-pak, been cycling batts regularly,so it is good to go,the deep-v i decided to switch over to 2.4 and update servos.. too slow.hope the new engine comes for the quickie,that should be fun... tried to copy forms off impba site,cant get printer to work on new laptop...uuurrgg.. darn technology...lol. hope to have better luck,maby wife can print at work for me. looking forward to having people to run with. he has a nice pond to run in fer sure!! looking forward to helping out with some of the labor,ooops forgot to message the contractor info to him.... oh well another post!! thanks again,you guys are all cool and i appreciate the offer on help and stuff... maby some fuel thats cheaper than tower hobbies would be nice,what is a gal. at shop you mentioned??? thanks again and chat soon and hopefully i will be throwin roosteryails with you soon!! let me know when someone will be there again and hopefully i will have some luck with ins..
Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 AM
advanced builder

Rick,
Craig or I can download the form. So late in the season ,we will see what we can do. Don't worry about the form ,we'll get you one. We should have some around anyways. And we picked up Charley another new member. 2 in one day. Looks like we are becoming a club. All good
Since we are becoming a club we should have club deals on fuel and plugs. We need to talk to Bill or Pete. about that.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 AM
parshallboatworks

i will definately need some plugs.. was using os hot plugs, that was several years ago i think they were 9s? i have a qt. of fresh odonnell 30% but pretty sure thats only enough for a day pass...lol, let me know what a couple plugs and a gallon of 40% will be and i will bring cash to pond. was up till 2am last night switching mono over to new servos and 2.4!!! hydro is ready to go too... they are both charging now. thank you will have to check out the old school stuff and let me know how much you want for them.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Billk44

Rick,
Craig or I can download the form. So late in the season ,we will see what we can do. Don't worry about the form ,we'll get you one. We should have some around anyways. And we picked up Charley another new member. 2 in one day. Looks like we are becoming a club. All good
Since we are becoming a club we should have club deals on fuel and plugs. We need to talk to Bill or Pete. about that.
Neil,
Pete usually brokers the fuel ordering. You can either link up with him or establish your own rleationship ([link=http://www.fhsoils.com/model.html]FHS Fuel[/link]). It would pay to do your homework to save money as shipping can really hurt with the HazMat charges. Quarts can ship UPS (expensive), whereas gallon are frieght (there is an effective minimum order).
I used to be the plug 'go to' person but am no longer in the loop. Phil's Hobbies used to have some very good deals on quantities. Tower, on occasion, will offer decent deals. They are the ones who introduced the O'Donnell Blues.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Billk44

i will definately need some plugs.. was using os hot plugs, that was several years ago i think they were 9s? i have a qt. of fresh odonnell 30% but pretty sure thats only enough for a day pass...lol, let me know what a couple plugs and a gallon of 40% will be and i will bring cash to pond. was up till 2am last night switching mono over to new servos and 2.4!!! hydro is ready to go too... they are both charging now. thank you will have to check out the old school stuff and let me know how much you want for them.
If you are referring to an MC9 plug - that is cold. The MC59 is the hot plug. Depends on the nitro load you are planning to run.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Billk44

Rick,
Neil,
Pete usually brokers the fuel ordering. You can either link up with him or establish your own rleationship ([link=http://www.fhsoils.com/model.html]FHS Fuel[/link]). It would pay to do your homework to save money as shipping can really hurt with the HazMat charges. Quarts can ship UPS (expensive), whereas gallon are frieght (there is an effective minimum order).
I used to be the plug 'go to' person but am no longer in the loop. Phil's Hobbies used to have some very good deals on quantities. Tower, on occasion, will offer decent deals. They are the ones who introduced the O'Donnell Blues.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Thanks Bill I will follow up.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 AM
advanced builder

I wonder if Craig can help as he has his own business. for Hazmat fuel delivery. I'm not sure how that works. I see that the closest Distributor is in Conn. Picking up may help in the cost. But gas is going up every day seams like.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:09 AM
parshallboatworks

If you are referring to an MC9 plug - that is cold. The MC59 is the hot plug. Depends on the nitro load you are planning to run.
thanks bill, i was buying plugs 5yrs ago,i think they were different name-# then have been out of the loop since then. right now i have a qt of odonnell 30% but used to run 40 or 50% nitro... i have a K&B 21marine that is a screamer but no pipe...(hopefully it will soon..lol..) in a hydro, i plan on using probably 40%. also have a outboard deep-v or mono with a K&B 7.5 outboard dont plan on travelling for races this year,just getting back into things..will run club races next year.. i used to run hot plugs what do you think i should use??
Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 AM
engineman351

Ricky, A couple of things...I think IMPBA does a $30 membership if you join after Sept 1st...then it's the regular price for renewal before Dec 31st. If you need fuel for the fall, one of us could pick up a gallon for you if you need some. I think 40% would be good all around fuel (especially for K&B's) and it would be about $32-34 a gallon. For K&B's on 40% I have run K&B 1L and MC9's and they seem to last quite a while. I also have been using the O'Donnel 'Blues' and they seem ok too. As bill said Tower and Phils Hobby Shop seem to have the best prices on plugs. If you need plugs in a hurry, Dan's Crafts on Empire Blvd. stocks a good assortment of plugs. (BTW...I work there on Tuesday nights if you need any help). Roger
Old 08-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Blackout

I've been buying fuel from John Otto, Technology Hobbies in Florida. I have another case of 50% coming this week. Shipping kills the price. It's $30.25 per gallon before shipping, packaged in quarts. With shipping, it's $10 per quart. If anyone wants to buy some let me know. This winter I could look for a cheaper option. I have a couple LTL companies that I can get quotes for shipping. Maybe shipping quarts via truck will be the cheapest....

Plugs, just watch Towers and the other online stores. Two winters ago, I bought 6 cards of OD blues at $1.50 per plug!! I'm still using these and probably have enough for next year. These I'm not selling, they are worth gold for a nitro addict like me!!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 AM
parshallboatworks

thanks roger, i seem to remember mc-9 as plugs i was using. will probably just go to dans tuesday night and grab some as i dont know how long the plugs that have been in storage for 5 years will last. i will take a gallon of 40% for the rest of the season, but dans didnt have any nor did performance... they did suggest car or heli fuel but didnt have the nitro content.hopefully i get my new 40 for the rigger so i can get drive parts too... seeing them run them sunday got me fired up to run the quickie!!
thanks again, RICK
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 AM
advanced builder

Here is what was on 4 gal box I got from Pete
http://www.fhsoils.com/promotions_%20red_max.html
Old 08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Blackout

thanks roger, i seem to remember mc-9 as plugs i was using. will probably just go to dans tuesday night and grab some as i dont know how long the plugs that have been in storage for 5 years will last. i will take a gallon of 40% for the rest of the season, but dans didnt have any nor did performance... they did suggest car or heli fuel but didnt have the nitro content.hopefully i get my new 40 for the rigger so i can get drive parts too... seeing them run them sunday got me fired up to run the quickie!!
thanks again, RICK
You can run Omega 25% in your boat engines. Dan's has that. I bought a gallon of that to break-in my .12 NR and it runs good with that fuel. I also ran the Omega all last year and the year before with good results. They make a 40%, but Dan's does not stock it.

Your old glow plugs should be fine. They are like ammo, they last a long time in storage.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 AM
engineman351

Ricky, If you have old unused plugs, I would certainly try using them as long as they aren't rusty. What you paid $3.49 for is now $7.99!! I do have MC9's at Dan's if you need a couple. On fuel, I can let you use a quart of 50% out of my stock. The local hobby shops will only get you what they can get from their distributors...and that would usually be 30% O'Donnell for $29 a qt!! We go to Elmira the 8th/9th of Sep...so one of us should be able to get a gallon of 40%. BTW...Craig will like this...If you had a GAS powered boat you would not need glo-plugs or nitro fuel!!! Just teasing. I'll add following Craigs post on the Omega 25% fuel...It has a little less oil than boat fuel, but it does work well...and it is a bit cheaper. Roger
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Ricky, If you have old unused plugs, I would certainly try using them as long as they aren't rusty. What you paid $3.49 for is now $7.99!! I do have MC9's at Dan's if you need a couple. On fuel, I can let you use a quart of 50% out of my stock. The local hobby shops will only get you what they can get from their distributors...and that would usually be 30% O'Donnell for $29 a qt!! We go to Elmira the 8th/9th of Sep...so one of us should be able to get a gallon of 40%. BTW...Craig will like this...If you had a GAS powered boat you would not need glo-plugs or nitro fuel!!! Just teasing. Roger
Ask Neil what he thinks of gas engines lately.....

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Billk44

I wonder if Craig can help as he has his own business. for Hazmat fuel delivery. I'm not sure how that works. I see that the closest Distributor is in Conn. Picking up may help in the cost. But gas is going up every day seams like.
They ship quantities on pallets and shipping to a business is cheaper. Residential is where you take the hit.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Billk44

thanks bill, i was buying plugs 5yrs ago,i think they were different name-# then have been out of the loop since then. right now i have a qt of odonnell 30% but used to run 40 or 50% nitro... i have a K&B 21 marine that is a screamer but no pipe...(hopefully it will soon..lol..) in a hydro, i plan on using probably 40%. also have a outboard deep-v or mono with a K&B 7.5 outboard dont plan on travelling for races this year,just getting back into things..will run club races next year.. i used to run hot plugs what do you think i should use??
50% and higher on larger motors = cold plugs. On .21 motors I ran hot plugs. Learn to 'read' plugs to find out what the motor is doing. Make small incremental changes - it pays dividends in the end. I ran McCoys, K&B and O'Donnell blues but all my stuff was .45 and larger.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
engineman351

Craig...wait until Neil eats up one of those CMB's. That's real money for parts!!! Neil has to stop running 'water' in his gas engines!!! These are not submarines!! RC
Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Billk44

ORIGINAL: Blackout

ORIGINAL: engineman351

Ricky, If you have old unused plugs, I would certainly try using them as long as they aren't rusty. What you paid $3.49 for is now $7.99!! I do have MC9's at Dan's if you need a couple. On fuel, I can let you use a quart of 50% out of my stock. The local hobby shops will only get you what they can get from their distributors...and that would usually be 30% O'Donnell for $29 a qt!! We go to Elmira the 8th/9th of Sep...so one of us should be able to get a gallon of 40%. BTW...Craig will like this...If you had a GAS powered boat you would not need glo-plugs or nitro fuel!!! Just teasing. Roger
Ask Neil what he thinks of gas engines lately.....

I still have 2 fast nitro riggers that will never be run again by me. I have been running gas exclusively for 5 years and the principle reason is consistency and repeatability. Out of all the motors I have (I have a few), only 1 failed with cylinder head separation. Roger's point is well taken.

Be careful running car/air fuel in boats as there is less oil in the mix. I believe Red Max is 19% - 20% oils.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.