Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Finishing tools/finishes

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Finishing tools/finishes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 PM
MarTay6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finishing tools/finishes

I'm approaching the point where I'm putting sealer coats on my JAE .21 hull (West System epoxy), all is going well. As a reminder, I've been out of boating for 35 years or so (!!), this is my first boat getting back in.
I'm not familar with current finishes (used to get good/great finishes brushing on HobbyPoxy epoxy paints!), I guess polyurethane automotive paints over the primered epoxy sealer coats is the way to go? Trying to keep the finish light, yet decent.
So, looking for paint recommendations- as well as a means of applying it. I might consider getting a small paint rig if I could keep it under $150.00-$200.00. Yes, I know- you get what you pay for! Any sprayer (compressor/airbrush) recommendations?
I guess this question could post many places, but since the requirements of a finish in a nitro boat are unique, I guess this is the place to post the question. Wish there were a spray can solution...
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
TCHedOff

Default RE: Finishing tools/finishes

There IS a spray can solution.... call your local auto parts stores and ask them if they have "2K" 2 part auto clear in a spray can. Comes in a 4hr drying version and a 24 hr drying version. Both work fine and hold up to hi nitro. Cost is @ $20 per can and one can should be plenty.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:52 PM
toyotatruckin

Tell ya what if your looking to spray more in the future the above is costly, a good cheap way to get set-up is one you need a compressor thats a given you can hit up harbor freight and buy a K-3 jam gun its a small HVLP and cost about 15$ give or take, open the box check the tip the needle and air holes you may have to look through 3 or 4 to find one thats going to be good to go, buy a regulator for it and a filter from the paint store the filter screws to the regulator then your air nipple screws to it in line, looks like a plastic ball their 3-4 bucks Ive used one for a long time on the smaller boats once you get them set-up they spray decent, and a nice urethane base clear is the way to go I use nasons and dupont but there are several out there im sure someone will come post more info but this is just one option
Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 PM
advanced builder

Keep your running edge's sharp. 90 degrees on the sponson I hand paint the inside. up & under. 3 coats in the fuel bay. The more coats you put down the heaver the hull. Pigment is heavy. Many go with clear / bright sponson sides. Any thing over 3 coats is a waste.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
amax

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

There IS a spray can solution.... call your local auto parts stores and ask them if they have ''2K'' 2 part auto clear in a spray can. Comes in a 4hr drying version and a 24 hr drying version. Both work fine and hold up to hi nitro. Cost is @ $20 per can and one can should be plenty.
How does that work? I never heard of a 2 part paint in 1 can, or is it 2 cans.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
joseywales

from what I'd head,great. Amax theres a red botton at the bottom of the spray can. Hit that and it unlocks the hardner into the clear. Heres the link to it.[link]http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm[/link]
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
toyotatruckin

Ive seen something similar to that from a different company, same basic thing though, bad thing is it is expensive, does not last long, mixed urethane paint will gain a few HRS if put in the fridge but still if you need a little or a lot you can not regulate how much you can mix, and there is no way around the fact its still a spray can no way to adjust pressure, flow, fan pattern, etc. buy 3 colors and you just payed for half of whats needed to spray.. 4 more cans payed for a compressor to spray with.. just looked at the price of that site link price has come way down since the first time ive seen the 2 part rattle can, used to be 30+$ a can none the less still expensive
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Hydro Rob

I took yota and amax's advice a few months ago and bought the right setup. It seems intimidating and complicated but its alljust knowing what to get, and where to get it. Plus having people to help is a great advantage. Yota and Amax talked technique and basics with me and our local paint shop walked me through the rest(chemicals, paints, supplies, usage).

Get a compressor if you dont have one, I use a CH 5.5 gallon with a dryer and a water trap/filter-on hand
Harbor freight/ centeralpnuematicsK-3 gun-14.99
Respirator-19.00
Goggles-2.00
Rubber gloves-on hand
Hair net (optional) I use the cheap hotel ones LOL- free
High build primer, can is fine, good brand is plastikote-4.50
Sand paper, 220-2000 grit-15 bucks worth of paper
Mcdonnalds Cup to hold water for wet sanding( using same one for 4 months now, great investment) -1.42
Paint cups, Stir sticks, strainers (your paint place should give these to you when you buy paint)- free
Paint and reducer I use Dupont Nasson and medium reducer at 2:1your paint guy will explain this to you. 46.00for both
Clear Coat and mid temp activatorDupont Nasson at 4:1same as above-36.00 and 9.00
Lacquer thinner for clean up and washing out gun-6.00
Rags-plenty-10.00 bucks for big bag.

Seems like alot of stuff but alot of it is a one time investment and the useage out of it is well worth it and it might be stuff you already have on hand. The first time I painted it came out way better then I thought, almost perfect. Since then I have painted and cleared lots of boats. Its fun. 90% of the job is in the prep work, sanding, wet sanding, cleaning, dust free area etc... we can fill this thread up with all kinds of info if you plan to go this way...these are just basics. I was able to keepit under 160.00 to get everything I needed to start, but I bought alot of materials because I planned on doing alot of jobs.

I would highly reccomend going to your local paint shop and talking to the guy at the counter, see what he has to say, let him tell you stories of him painting, how to paint, walk you through it. Then see if your ready to take the plunge, im glad I did and will never look back.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 AM
amax

Well I gotta say things have come A Long way since the last time I picked up a rattle can to paint. If you prefer the rattle can method, Instead of the Pro method, the Urethane Clear would be the better material to use, just make sure you use the Base Coat colors from the same manufacturer. The rattle can is a little less intimidating than the Spray Gun and Mixing your own chemicals is, But as Yota stated if it Ain't Spraying Right, you have no control or adjustment, or the ability to clean the tip out if it gets a heavy clog.
Spray methods will be close to the same with either method, Long Smooth Even Strokes with a 20% to 30% overlap. Prep for a rattle can paint job can sometimes take more work due to the Thinner Materials Sprayed from the can, rattle can primers are generally much thinner than those made for a Spray Gun, so they won't cover as deep a sanding scratches.
Both need a Good Clean Contained area to spray a Good Quality Paint Job, and an extremely clean surface to bond to. Both need Filtered Ventilation.
When you get over the Intimidation factor of the Spray Gun and mixing Paint Products IMO it's actually the easier way to get a Nice Paint Job, due to better Spraying Equipment with the Adjustability to Your spray style.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: amax

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

There IS a spray can solution.... call your local auto parts stores and ask them if they have ''2K'' 2 part auto clear in a spray can. Comes in a 4hr drying version and a 24 hr drying version. Both work fine and hold up to hi nitro. Cost is @ $20 per can and one can should be plenty.
How does that work? I never heard of a 2 part paint in 1 can, or is it 2 cans.
At first glance it looks like a normal spray can. Inside the can is divided into 2 sections that keep the 2 parts seperated until you are ready to use. The can has a large button on the bottom which in reality is a plunger that punctures the barrier and you hsake to mix the parts (I just ask the look auto store to use their automatic can shaker to mix it for me).

As for Toyota's comments on being pricey.... not from my perspective. I finished both my .12 and .21 JAE and shot them both with clear the same day from the same spray can of 2K. Cost $25 to shoot 2 boats. Now IF I were planning on having several/many boats a compressor etc would make more sense to me.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
toyotatruckin

Really, you wont see where the savings is at until you actually get set-up to spray, and your 100% correct if your only going to paint 1 or 2 small boats its not worth getting set-up, PLUS you really do need someone to teach you at least the basics to get started..

wanna see cost savingsI can paint about 75 JAE's totally free of charge right now most likely more than that, base clear with several colors to pick from including pearls and metal flake true metal flake your not going to get from a can
Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
amax

AHH Your a Pack Rat Too HUH,, the thing I usually have to buy is Clear Coat, Or Barter for 17yr in collision repair and getting Sales Reps into the shops I moved to,, LOL,, gets ya a lot of Pay Back to. I Love samples and Demo Paint, or Colors mixed with just a touch to much Pearl,, I know a few Young Painters around town to that can wright off an extra quart of Whatever I want on something there working on, and they will do it in a heart beat, Most of the Helpers I've had through the years will,,, Most..
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
toyotatruckin

Well way I see it is ONE of these days that little bit in the bottom of the can MAY come in handy, if it will fill the cup on an airbrush a couple times keep it lol