Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Turn Fin Question

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Turn Fin Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Sr.Irie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Fin Question

Well I am building a 1/8 scale hydroplane for something new, and to play around with at the lake, it will never be raced or anything. It is an aeromarine miller hydro and my question is about turn fins. I would like to be able to turn both ways equally not just one and need opinions on witch would work better. Having turn fins on both sides, having no turn fins or one in the middle at the CG of the boat. I have built and run all kinds of RC’s over the years but never a boat so any opinion and or idea are appreciated so fire away.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 AM
dicko

Default RE: Turn Fin Question

You will need turn fins on both sides. However, it still won't turn left as well as it will turn right. The rotation of the prop drags the rear of the boat around which steers the boat naturally to the right.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Sr.Irie

Also I am going to run the duel ruder set up. I was told this way you still could keep the ruder or rudders in my case out of the prop wash and not have it be offset. Witch makes it turn both ways better. Is this the case? It sounded logical but again I have very little boat experience.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:52 AM
amax

We remove the turn fin when doing Speed Runs to decrease drag. You can turn both ways with no fin, but you Will Not be able to make Hard Turns, like you can with a fin. You can install the turn fin in it's normal position and leave it Straight Down from the Sponson with "0" Tuck and still be able to turn left.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, lets get real. A hydroplane is designed to turn only one way, to the right. Left turns are normally only done at low speeds or to avoid hitting something. Putting a second turn fin on the left side will adversly affect the way the boat turns to the right and can flip the boat in a hard right turn. Same deal with the right turn fin in a hard left turn. Twin rudders are never a good idea on a hydroplane due to the weight issue and the low height of the transom. By putting that much weight on the back end, the boat will never be able to get out of the water and fly like it should. If you want a boat to turn both ways, get a cat or a vee hull
Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Dan S

Sr.Irie,

should be a nice build, however the Hydro is not design for 2 turn fins, you will get handling issues as well as performance issues.
you can set it up for one turn fin for right course or left course or no fin like mentioned for straight line.
yo can't have both at the same time with the hydro (well, not with the same performance).

no need for a dual rudder setup, install one rudder offset left or right of the prop (won't be in prop wash).
your best boat to setup for left and right would have been a Mono.

Dan.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Gee Dan, looks like great minds think alike, I was just a touch faster at hitting send
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
advanced builder

got to go with Dan & HJ , Twin rudders bad ID twin turnfins bad ID
1/8 scale hydro are a hand full Speed wise as well as $ wise A good turn fin helps to hold down the Front. Mine did a BIG blow over going into the wind . No fin damage . What a sight. A 550 360 +180