Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

thunder tiger bandit 3.5

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

thunder tiger bandit 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM
fullbull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thunder tiger bandit 3.5

hi guys , ive just purchased myself a bandit 3.5 and would love to hear any hints and tips anyone can offer. i have just changed the standard plastic "clevaces?" to metal ones as the thread went one side. not to sure if that is the correct name for the part , but its the part that screws onto the end of the steering rods and then clips onto the engine either side. totally new at this game so would appreiciate anykind of info. cheers. ps , the local model shop suggested 20% nitro fuel but ive read 10% to 16% would be better for the engine (thunder tiger 21 ). what should i go for guys???
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
stuartbowen

Default RE: thunder tiger bandit 3.5

Oil Content: With any outboard marine boat you should shoot for 18% oil content in your fuel. I have read some respected boaters use as low as 16% oil, but that would be the bare minimum.

Nitro Content: I personally run 55%nitro in my outboards and love it. Not sure of your fuel choices in the UK, but the higher the nitro the better performance. I have one Thunder Tiger Engine and I think I ran it on 30%Nitro  a few times when I was out of 55% and it did well.

Glow Plug: If you choose to run high nitro (40% or more) you will want to get a different plug most likely than what is in it. I use an O'donnell plug that is listed for boats, and the kb plug is also popular .

Make sure the boat is starting in the right direction. Outboards typically need the starter hooked up backwards to start the engine. But i am not sure about the TT. Havent run mine in atleast a year.

In a boat, the weak spots always show up. Just like the clevice you replaced, anything that looks weak or suspect you may as well upgrade. I know personally everytime I noticed something looked shaky and just let it go, I would eventually be out in the retreaval boat  picking my boat up from out in the water.  A metal gear steering servo would be a nice upgrade as well as a metal tooth servo horn. A nice sharpened and balanced prop would be a nice performance upgrade too.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I hear, nitro isn't cheap in the UK so get what you can afford.
The TT motors rotate like other nitro motors, the K&B and OS OB's run opposite. It's because of the gear reduction unit.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 AM
tnltyme

I run a 3.5 K&B with 20% nitro and 18% oil. I mainly run this combination for engine longevity plus you still get some gitty up and go. The only people I race are family members and they run the same combo. As mentioned, a steering servo with metal gears would be highly recommended...

Another thing. After you're done running for the day, spray a good fogging oil in the carb and spin it over with the plug out. Do it a few times.(I'm using Stabil fogging oil) I believe they make a special after run oil too. Otherwise, your bearings will get corroded. Nitro is highly corrosive....