RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Nitro Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/)
-   -   Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-nitro-boats-117/5662498-aquacraft-super-vee-27-nitro.html)

Starrett_Eye 07-23-2010 01:03 AM

RE: Aquacraft Super-Vee 27 Nitro.

i got the tab adjusters from kintec racing, that helps with the bouncing, its always windy out here in west texas, usually 20 mph or more, i couldn't tell you how many times i've barrel rolled, flipped and submarined mine, almost sank it once , i was reeling it in with fishin line and the waves crashing on the back of it filled it up with water, back end went under and it only had about 4 inches of the nose sticking straight up out of the water, after that i put the pool noodle in there, im about to switch fuel tanks to one that has baffles in it, i found one for a traxxas nitro rustler that will fit, its a little smaller than stock, but if it will stay running for a full tank that would be better than it dying all the time, when the water is smooth i dont have any problems, it will run for a whole tank

res3567 07-24-2010 12:09 AM

I would like to upgrade the flex shaft, drive dog, and prop nut.....my GrimRacer prop is performing AWESOME........would like to compliment it with more rugged and dependable support....any suggestions?

res3567 07-24-2010 12:10 AM

Thanks Eye

ORIGINAL: Starrett_Eye

i got the tab adjusters from kintec racing, that helps with the bouncing, its always windy out here in west texas, usually 20 mph or more, i couldn't tell you how many times i've barrel rolled, flipped and submarined mine, almost sank it once , i was reeling it in with fishin line and the waves crashing on the back of it filled it up with water, back end went under and it only had about 4 inches of the nose sticking straight up out of the water, after that i put the pool noodle in there, im about to switch fuel tanks to one that has baffles in it, i found one for a traxxas nitro rustler that will fit, its a little smaller than stock, but if it will stay running for a full tank that would be better than it dying all the time, when the water is smooth i dont have any problems, it will run for a whole tank

Starrett_Eye 07-24-2010 02:32 AM

i just got the fuel tank in, hopefully this will work better, hey res3567 i broke 3 stock flexshafts using a grim 40X53 prop, so i upgraded to a 3/16 flex to 3/16 prop shaft, they come a little long so youll have to cut it to length, and grind a flat on it for your drivedog set screw, take the teflon liner out of the brass tube, on the engine coupler you can get a 5mm threaded to 3/16 collet style coupler , for your prop just get a locknut from a hardware store, check out kintec racing, i think they have their email on there, best to contact them through that

Heres some pics

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...tt_eye/021.jpg
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...tt_eye/020.jpg
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/a...tt_eye/019.jpg

Serpents Den 07-24-2010 06:30 AM

offshore electrics carries all that gear, im using a Hughey cable, octura drive dog and prop nut as spares. our friendly moderator Ron O suggested them in a few different threads, im using the same company's gear for my TC as well....much better than stock i'd say... they also have the adjustable trim tabs as well...

res3567 07-24-2010 03:01 PM

Goodness Den....that is an Awesome Setup!!!!!! That carb? The cylinder head? And I like how you added the carry straps. IMPRESSIVE!!!!!! To say the very least........Ok....thanks for the info.....but I need more...let me know how that fuel tank works...looks like it is for a MVD.....and how can I make this thing a little quieter? Also, when should I grease the shaft, and how many turns out do you use for your HSN?

Serpents Den 07-25-2010 02:48 AM

hehe....thats actually Starrett's boat....mine hasnt arrived yet, and it's green....

res3567 07-25-2010 09:19 AM

Oh...sorry Starrett....Den had posted right under your pics and Igot mixed up.....what kind of engine are you running? is that the OS version available from TH? I know the AQ version is made by OS, but is your version much better? Once again I am VERY IMPRESSED!!!!!

res3567 07-25-2010 11:26 AM

LOOSE....LOOSE...AND MORE LOOSE....OH GOOD GRIEF!!!! Running her yesterday....was going fine...got two fulltanks....tweaking her out.....she starts great...and I am finnally liking the recoil starter. Then on my third and fourth runs, she just stalls....outta the blue. The second time, I thougth the engine siezed....hard to pull the starter. Come to find out it was off....the only thing that kept in the back of the engine was the fuel tank. So I had to do the tedious job of figuring out the easiest way to remove it.

The solution was to undo the header.....which was loose.....and then I could have access tothose set of mounting bolts....ALL OF THOSE WERE LOOSEAS WELL. Ok...

Taking a deep breath and regrouping....Had a tough time rewinding the recoil rope to get it to mate properly with the spring....that was fun.....and I am going to get Loctite....waerproof maybe...and make sure everything is fastened PROPERLY!!!!

Then I can run and have worry free fun. Gotta love nitro....and this hobby......

Serpents Den 07-25-2010 02:05 PM

yea you should go over everything and make sure everything is tight...after every few runs check again....use blue loctite on any nuts n bolts, or something metal screwed into metal on the boat for safe assurance.....as far as the boat 'stopping' like that, the hardware coming loose would be part of it (vibration from running), causing low compression, trying to make up for it and it vaporlocked the cylinder (engine full of fuel) making it difficult to turn the crank....taking out the glow plug would alleviate the problem, and then u can turn it to remove all that excess fuel from the engine....is same that happens with my airplane and heli engines when running way too rich..........as your boat gets broken in, you can slowly lean it out for better performance, but still keep in mind, any weather changes like up or down temp, increase or decrease in humidity will have you fiddling with that HSN also...

dont forget to double check the alignment of your flexshaft and coupler and balance of prop....if either are off by a smidge, you'll get unwanted vibration also....

res3567 07-25-2010 02:12 PM

Thanks Den....as always a ton of good info....were is your Green Machine? Can't wait to see her run :)</p>

Serpents Den 07-25-2010 02:25 PM

atm stuck in montreal...prolly customs going thru the package to make sure there's nothing illegal....shoulda had it in 2 or 3 days considering the place it was sent from is only 3 hrs away from here....been over a week now</p>

Serpents Den 07-25-2010 02:30 PM

hell, i want to get my TC back together again also.....waiting for Aeromarine to send me my danged Speedmaster rudder and pair of water outlets....thats been almost a month now that i made the order :P 2 weeks ago i had email saying they were on vacation, then havent heard a thing, and no status change since then, which was "pending" LOL http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/50_50.gif

res3567 07-25-2010 03:37 PM

So you aint got nothing to play with?

Serpents Den 07-25-2010 05:47 PM

nothing but my tug atm that i can run....TC is stripped down for paint, but need those parts in so i can make sure all the mounting holes are correct and old ones glassed before hand...my tunnel hull i will be setting up before my SV and TC are finished...

res3567 07-25-2010 08:46 PM

Oh itjust gets better.......repaired my recoil starter....that took all day trying to rewind the spring.....OH MY ACHING FINGERS!!!! It aint perfect, the cord sticks out further now, but oh well it starts the boat. Will order a new one from TH.....I found that eventhough that engine is disco'd, if you punch in the part number under search, it will come up, if the have it....they do.

Got her in the water and not running right. Adjusted the HSN, ran a little better, was gone tweakher some more and got a hydro lock. The thing was flooding badly. Happen to look down to see the exhuast line was off....reconnected it and she fired right up.

Here we go to the GOOD PART!!!!!! She fires up and I see the prop aint spinning. Looked at the collet.....still hooked to the shaft.....and the prop is out about 3 inches....BROKEN!!! Lucky for me I had her on the shore....if it had broken at high speed in the water? A new Grim prop on the bottom of the lake? YIKES!!!!!!!

I did order an OSE equivilant of a Hugley upgrade for the SV 27..no cutting.....just slide it in and bolt it up. Also an Octura drive dog and bullet nut.

My belt should be here sometimethis week...love that shipping from TH

However OSE shipping is super fast...about 3 days. She is down for the count, but should be up by Wed.

I guess I will dust off my Airforce and run it....not as exciting but she does have a brand new OS .46AX and a Speedmaster rudder. Now that is one bigtime reliable boat....

Ron Olson 07-26-2010 09:16 PM

If you like the Grimracer prop then you might want to avoid the bullet nut. Those babis have a nasty habit of coming unscrewed all by themselves when you don't want them to but there is an unless. The unless is to take a sliver of fuel line and place it on the propshaft between the prop and nut as it works like a lock nut.

res3567 07-26-2010 09:40 PM

Like the silicon on the stock nut....ok Gotcha...your take on the OSE cable and is this the better collet?......

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...15d_medium.JPGFrom OSE....can be used as an upgrade to the SV 27......fits .5mm to .150mm Octura.....

res3567 07-26-2010 09:42 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: res3567

Like the silicon on the stock nut....ok Gotcha...your take on the OSE cable and is this the better collet?......

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...15d_medium.JPGFrom OSE....

<font size="2" face="Arial">Octura Flex Hex 5mm to to .150

Fits most 700 motors and the 5mm shafted feigao motors we sell. This is the long version, 32mm in length. This can be used as a upgrade coupler with the AquaCraft SuperVee 27

Fits:
Motors with 5mm Shaft
Flex Cable from .145 to .150"
</font></p>

Ron Olson 07-26-2010 10:05 PM

For an electric boat yes, but not for the nitro version.

res3567 07-26-2010 10:07 PM

Yea....I just now noticed....looks like Kinetic racing has one....a three piece design.....but not sure if it is from Octura.

Tee Bee 07-28-2010 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today was a little bittersweet. I hit the water early to catch it smooth before the winds picked up. It was the 3rd outing for my SV27. I ran 2 tanks without any problems and it was running smoother and stronger than ever. I was stoked to see the engine breaking in so well and that I didn't have to resort to using my boat retrieval systems. Shortly into the 3rd run, however, the engine died with a sudden pop. Not good. I knew right away there was mechanical damage. A bit frustrated, I loaded up and headed out to my RC flying club field to visit with some of the old-timers who like to fly in the morning. They encouraged me to go ahead and tear it down right then so they could see the damage. The con-rod was broken at both ends as seen in the pic. Everything else looks ok to reuse. I'm really not sure what went wrong or if it was just bad luck. It had about 7 tanks run thru it when it broke. I'm using O'Donnel 30% boat fuel and the stock prop. Still a bit rich on the tuning.

Any ideas as to what went wrong? Tower has the rods in stock.

amax 07-28-2010 11:49 AM

I have a few AQU engines that wound up something like that, the rod is the week spot in that engine. Clean the bearing with brake parts cleaner and Make Sure the bearings are turning free with NO little bumps when you turn the crank.
You might want to think about upgrading to a better .18 engine like a Go Engine or a O.S. CV-RMx, both will bolt right in and give you a bigger thrill than the AQU ever could.

Starrett_Eye 07-28-2010 11:58 AM

The same thing happend to my yellow sv, replaced rod and it was back up and running, i just got the os engine about a month ago, much better

Tee Bee 07-28-2010 12:17 PM

I don't suppose the rod is the same or compatible with the OS version?