Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Good luck with the 1/2 A Shrike. With the throttle wired open I'd probably plant it on the maiden.

RC-FIEND, thanks for the idea, but I think I'll leave this one like it is. I already have almost everything I need to finish an ARF and no way could I do Jeremy's work justice. Here's his website BTW. [link=http://www.lgmguitars.com/splash_guitars.html]LGM Guitars[/link]
Old 10-30-2006, 12:08 AM
RC-Captain

Nice website . The work looks expensive. Maybe I will experiment with doing air brushing [:-] .
Old 10-30-2006, 09:14 PM
brenzo

Got my shrike 10 kit today, starting tomorrow. I see what you guys were saying about the instructions though. Seem a bit vague and outta order, but looking forward to starting. ANY TIPS?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:23 PM
wl7cpa

Hi,
I have a Shrike 40 and love it! I ripped a servo out of the wing on the third flight and it crashed head on but I rebuilt it. I saw an ad on RCU a few days ago of a Shrike-like model and forgot to write down the name and company, but it looked very similar to the shrike. It was in the $80 dollar range ARF and wanted to give it a try. Had scroll like vertical fins. Can anyone help me with the name of the plane?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 PM
jlingrel

BEEF UP THE WING SPARS Andhave a ball

John
Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
RC-Captain

Take your time building and ask a ton of questions if are not sure with any part of the build.

Is this the plane you saw w17cpa ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60783.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	551551  
Old 10-31-2006, 07:11 PM
wl7cpa

May be it. Model Tech? I'll check it out.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:03 PM
RC-Captain

it is a modeltech mach racer from Hobbypeople.com
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

it is a modeltech mach racer from Hobbypeople.com
I did a review of the Mach Racer for the RCU Magazine. It's a great flying little plane. You can check out the review here: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=745[/link]

Ken
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 PM
wl7cpa

Thanks guys. That was it. There is one new in the box on ebay right now. I am bidding...good flyin. Made 6 flights on my Shrike tonight in two hours...what a plane!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 PM
RC-Captain

Hi RCKen, I bought my Mach Racer back in June. I just went through your review and you hit every nail on the head, as usual . I noticed you didn't mention using high and low rates . The reason for me mentioning this , is because when I first started flying the MR I used high rates to land which helped with the stall effect when slowing to a landing.

I love the dickens out of my MR. I let a more experienced pilot fly it, (he flies scale 3d and sport) and he didn't want to give me back the sticks . He flew it on high rates and did some maneuvers I could not try at this time.

All in all nice review and video [sm=thumbs_up.gif].

Old 11-01-2006, 10:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Hi RCKen, I bought my Mach Racer back in June. I just went through your review and you hit every nail on the head, as usual . I noticed you didn't mention using high and low rates . The reason for me mentioning this , is because when I first started flying the MR I used high rates to land which helped with the stall effect when slowing to a landing.

I love the dickens out of my MR. I let a more experienced pilot fly it, (he flies scale 3d and sport) and he didn't want to give me back the sticks . He flew it on high rates and did some maneuvers I could not try at this time.

All in all nice review and video [sm=thumbs_up.gif].

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed doing the review on the Mach Racer, and it's still one of my favorite planes to fly. One thing I can't get enough of is true unlimited vertical. I take off an pull vertical and will continue to climb until it's literally out of site, and then to get sight of it again I will chop the throttle and give it aileron to put it in a spin where I can spot it by the flashing of the yellow covering on the top of the plane. It's a total blast to fly!!!!

Ken
Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 AM
wl7cpa

Mach Racer sounds good. It will be my next wing.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:20 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

FlyerBry, mine has a Hitec Electron 6 receiver and GWS mini servos. I used a Park L servo on the throttle and a stronger model that's got the same torque specs as a standard servo on the ailerons and elevator. I also used a small NiMH battery pack. We should all weight our Shrikes and post them here. It would be interesting to know the range.
Hey Chuck, Mine ended up at 13 and 1/8 oz with a Norvel .061 in it..it actually teeters on the cg so I hope thats good! almost the same color as your but with stars instead of lightening on it..it was waaaay too windy to try yesterday ,,maybe over the weekend, but its not my top priority as I dont have any heat!!...Chuck you coming up in Jan for the swap meet???...Rog
I also have a .10 kit to build!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 PM
dlbruml

Just bought my first shrike .40 and am anxious to start building, after reading through some of the comments wondering if you would recommend a single aileron servo or dual?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
RC-Captain

keep it light and have fun with the build
Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 PM
skyflyer47
My Feedback: (2)

Hi guys I have a 40 size shrike that hasen't been covered yet. I hope to have it done this winter, will have a thunder tiger 46 with a pipe eventually. I did find out to late that you need to shorten the nose about an inch for an engine of this size. You can find out a lot of info on the speed forum. Can't wait to fly mine!!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 PM
RC-Captain

I wish you all the luck in the world and come spring, fill us in on the maiden flight .
Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 AM
wl7cpa

I would go with two strong servos. Make sure they are well placed with a strong hold down. Also NO slop in the linkage, make it tight as possible. Don't cut corners. I was so excited to fly my Shrike th first time with all my friends I forgot to replace a couple bad screws in one of my servos. The result was a servo departing the aircraft at a high speed. You know the results. Just lost it a second and final time. My pop in transmitter battery in my eBay purchased Hitec Prism7 slid over and off the contacts during a flight. It went in at about 100 MPH. All my buddies dared me to rebuild again.....too many parts this time. So if you have a pop-in battery, take an extension, cut in half, and make a plug after soldering to terminals. Have fun with your Shrike.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:31 PM
jlingrel

Need some advice, going to build a shrike 10 with an OS32 on a pipe [sm=punching.gif]with retracts. I am familiar with all the weak spar problems, but need to know how far anyone has moved the firewall back and about rear wheel placement. Building it for a friend who seems to end up with most of the Shrikes I build. Just never really modified one before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
brenzo

Hi all, I'm just about finished with my shrike 10 kit and I was wondering what you guys think the best size prop to put on it will be?
I'm running a .15 os cva. What do ya think?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Brenzo, May magnum 15 works great with the APC 8x4. I would think that would be a good starting point.
Have fun, MikeB
Old 01-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Medevack1

well guys im back again ill be building abnother Shrike this one will be GLOW.....this time ill be making it out of scratch......lol wish me luck!!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
ifixitagain

Good Evening Shrikers !!!

I purchased a Shrike 10 today, got it home, cleaned my bench, opened the box, heart pounding, OMG, no instructions !!!

Went to Lanier to download, still no email with pdf link.

I stumbled onto this site while searching for an alternative DL method, and im glad I did.

A wealth of data.

I am building this to be brushless, probably a Hacker or Park 20 with a 2100 LiPo.

Anybody else gone electric on one of these? Any advice would GREATLY be appreciated.

This is my 5th build, all electric.

1: Herr J3 Cub
2: HOB Spacewalker
3: HOB Chipmunk
4: Herr Pitts Special - Bi-Wing

I have a HOB P-51 in the box just waiting for its turn, and a scratch built from crash parts Delta Wing on bench #2.

Any advice or warnings are welcome..........

ifixitagain
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM
RC-Captain

The only problem I can see is balancing the shrike. If I am not wrong you will come in very tail heavy with a light brushless motor and lipo pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.