Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Let's See Your SlowPokes

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Let's See Your SlowPokes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 AM
slick95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's See Your SlowPokes

I have also thought about this! I think it would be either a normal flying biplane with the Pete wings seeing as the chord is not as long(I used to have one ), or a possible strange flying biplane with the massive wings of the Slow Poke. It would be interesting to find out and experiment!

SLICK
Old 03-15-2007, 12:33 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

What about a slow poke with mechanical retracts...I always thought that would be pretty interesting....
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
lrtx1

I hope this will be a build thread.
ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: lrtx1

Anyone thought of a bi-plane? A Slow Pete&Poke! I have the Pete, which is a great plane. I wouldn't want to cut it up to make it a bipe and, I just can't see buying 2 kits right now. I guess there are always more options. I just don't know if my building skills are up for those yet.
I've thought about doing this too. Hopefully I can get to something like this later on this year. I've studied both kits and it doesn't look like it would take too much work. They use the same fuselage so bashing these two kits together shouldn't be too hard. Could be a really interesting flying plane when it's done!!

Ken
Old 03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

If I do one you can be assured that I will do a build thread on it.

Ken
Old 03-16-2007, 06:18 PM
slick95

Funny. I also though about building a Slow Poke with retracts like a corsair or with folding wings, just for the cool factor!

SLICK
Old 03-17-2007, 11:22 PM
capt_todd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my new p19 looking slowpoke. Pilot looks good coming by with him on the tail too...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26831.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	644370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86155.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	644371  
Old 03-17-2007, 11:31 PM
capt_todd

pt19 looking slowpoke.... The black tape is gone off the windshield now, but it is in the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54884.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	644379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95394.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	644380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59685.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	644381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70019.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	644382  
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 PM
slick95

WOW! I love the Slow Poke in any military scheme...obviously!

SLICK
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Smooth Spanky

Capt Todd: Nice looking plane. The PT19 is one of my all time favorites.

OK, now a couple questions for you experts. Some of the pictures on this thread look like the plane has dihedral and others look like polyhedral (both wing tips bent upwards). Is there more than one version of this plane or are their options on how the kit is built.

OK, now where to buy this thing. I've checked my normal source (Tower Hobbies) and they don't seem to have the kit nor an ARF....where can these things be bought...preferably as an ARF?

Thanks for the help guys.

Smooth
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
TimC

Smooth, the up-turned wing ends are on the .10-.25 size Slow Poke. Tower Hobbies show the .40 kit and the .10-.25 kit all in stock. The .40 ARF appears to be out of stock. Here is a link:[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=Slow+Poke+Kit&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]Pokes[/link]
Old 03-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Smooth Spanky

TimC:
Wow, that's strange...I was searching Tower a couple times yesterday and the only thing that would come up were the spare parts. OK, so no ARF means I'm going to have to dust off my building skills which probably isn't a bad thing anyway. Thanks for your help TimC.

Smooth
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
TimC

Smooth, you might get lucky like I did. I found mine for sale used in a Vegas hobby shop. It had about 12 oz. of lead in the nose and a pee wee bushed .15. I took it for its maiden on a fairly windy day. I flew it off down wind and it was kind of slow coming back. I pulled out the lead and installed a .30 OS four stroke. It flew great with this, but I had another plane I needed the .30 for, so I put in a .40 Saito. No power problems now.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 PM
capt_todd

Smooth,
Here is the link for the Great Planes Slowpoke Sport 40. They definately still have it, Great Planes no longer makes an arf of it.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRB44&P=0
It has dihedral, but there is a smaller version that is polyhedral. There is also the lil' poke that is very small. I have only seen the one I have. I wanted ailerons because I think this plane would look better turning the way ailerons make a plane turn. Plus it was my first plane with them, instead of 3 channel polyhedral. It has a .46 OS engine on it and it does real well. It is not overpowered. Since you have to add so much weight to the nose since the nose is so short, you might as well have engine weight instead of lead. The .46 weighed a little more than the .40 and I still had to add about 6 ounces of lead under the engine in that little compartment, wrapped in foam. Lead is from a bait and tackle shop. The star stickers are from Tower hobbies and are actually 60 size instead of 40 since the wings are so fat, so they would look right. I spent forever building this thing perfect almost. you don't see any seam at all on the top of the wings, the seam is in the middle. The on/off switch is in the cockpit to look like a control. Thanks for the complement,
Todd
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
slick95

You will not be disappointed with this kit! Hope you build one!

SLICK
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
speedpro 1

capt todd i have the same pilot you do but i put some lights in the skulls eyes and his hands work the stick and his feet operate the rudder pedals
Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Smooth Spanky

Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I've always been fond of the way the SlowPoke looks, so I've finally made the plunge. I decided on the larger kit (with ailerons) with an OS .52 4 stroke. I'm thinking that baby should keep me from having to add lead up front! I'm actually pretty excited about building again - it's been a long time for me so this will be like going back to my modelling roots.

I don't get as much fun flying an r/c plane at mach 2 with my heart ready to explode (which I will do anyway from time to time) as I do putting around a field nice and slow and scale-like. I'm really looking forward to this one. Hope I'm still half the builder you guys are!

capt todd...how do you feel about me 'borrowing' your PT-19 idea? That is just too cool looking. I'm guessing my pilot will probably be a Barbie doll, a Buzz Lightyear or whatever toy the kids mistakenly leave in my path

Smooth
Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
slick95

Very cool! You'll have to show us some pics. as your building!

SLICK
Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
capt_todd

Smooth,
That's just fine if you borrow my idea. You may want to do the tail in a more scale way by doing the red and white stripes. Take a look at some pt19 planes and see which way you want yours to look. Since you knew what plane I covered it like, then you probably already know which way you want to do it. The .52 sounds like a good idea. I wanted to do that but I decided not to for now because of the price. When a good sale comes around again I might change it to a .52 also. I wish someone would do one as the ME-109 and post pictures on here. It would need big ol' stickers on the wings.
Don't forget to use 60 size stickers instead of 40, I got mine from Tower Hobbies.
Oh, also bend the landing gear forward so it does not nose over on the runway. I bent mine forward quite a bit and it helped a whole lot.
cya,
Todd
Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Smooth Spanky

Todd:
Thanks for the advice...especially on the landing gear.

I know what you're talking about with the red/white stripes on the rudder, but honestly I didn't even notice it on your scheme until you mentioned it.

Once I finally get around to building (???) I'll post some pics. I wish I'd been smart enough to do this at the start of WINTER instead of the start of spring!

Smooth
Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
slick95

Yes, I also made modifications to the landing gear as well, on both the ones in this forum. I bought some new wire and made slightly longer gear legs as well as bent them forward. I had the same tipping problem with the ARF's. I scratch built a 1/4 Team MiniMAX last year in the colors of my dads full scale MiniMAX. It is also in the PT-19 scheme. Very cool looking, can't wait to see! I attached a picture of the real MiniMAX (I will have to find some pictures of the model, or go take some), and also a new picture of the Slow Poke flying!

SLICK

Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my ARF Slow poke, I mounted the OS 52 as far forward as I could and with a Harry higley brass spinner weight on the end of the crank it balances perfect.

I had a OS 48 Surpass on it in the beginning, then a Magnum FS61. Now it has a OS 52 engine. It flies about the same with all these. These engines have the same mounting dimensions as the OS 46FX type engines.

The ARF and the kit are built completely different but look pretty much the same on the outside.

I haven't flown my kit version. They are not exactly easy to built kits. Not difficult but the parts count is high.

I used a quarter scale pilot.

My ARF will nose over rather easy also but you can do some smooth main wheel first landings with the gear as far back as they are.

I most often land main wheels first, especially on windy days. You are touching down with the airspeed pretty high and you don't have to fight the wind gusts and up drafts trying to three point (full stall) land it.

Every kit Slow Poke I saw that half way crashed or landed very hard, broke where the strips of balsa glue to the plywood sides right behind the wing. Easy to fix this though.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 PM
slick95

Pretty good description w8ye. I also noticed the ARF and kit were of very different construction methods. The ARF's I had used a .52 four stroke but I currently have a Saito .56 four stroke in my Slow Poke kit built plane. I get quite a broad range of slow and fast flight, I'm sure you all have experienced the same. However, I found the kit pretty easy to build, not intended to put you down in any way, but I do agree that the parts count is pretty high. Still, very fun, and I really enjoy the very wide range of covering choices that look good on this aircraft because of its classic sporty plane look to it; just stating the obvious. Anyway, can't wait to see your build begin!

SLICK
Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
slick95

I had a neighbor mention that the traditional F4U-1A Corsair color scheme would look pretty good on one of these. I do plan on building another some time as well, not anytime soon. What do you guys think? The standard Dark Blue, Sky Blue, White scheme. Here's a pic. of the color choice:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mcgpaper/DecalWebb1.jpg

SLICK
Old 03-22-2007, 11:01 PM
capt_todd

Hey,
This is for you and for some of the other guys to read. I just put it all in one reply, I hope that doesn't bother you.
I looked at the link you put on here. That would look good. Really cool. I think the german me109 look would be good, with camo or something like the little gws me109. I took forever to build my slowpoke. Maybe I am a perfectionist. The whole top of the wing is smooth, no sharp edges to create turbulence as you run your finger down the bare wood between the spars. Less turbulence will create a better, smoother flying aircraft which will give you less chance of crashing the plane. I don't build much, so when I do, I do it very carefully to get it perfect. It's funny, I put Bilgecote under the engine in the compartment the engine sits on. It is a bilge paint for boat bilges to protect against all kinds of grease, gas, diesel, sludge, etc. It is grey. I had it already and it worked great. I just knew my engine would drip a drop or two into this compartment and soak into the wood and eventually mess up the wood like another plane I have where I tried epoxy to protect it. The epoxy didn't last over the years. I put sig yellow covering on the wings, the sig was superior to the monokote brand hands down. Thicker and easier to work with. I put covering on the engine mount and in the cockpit. It needs covering where the engine mounts in my opinion or else you have bare wood up there. I wish I could take the lead out of the nose though.
cya
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
slick95

Hey smooth, you get around to building a Slow Poke yet?

SLICK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.