Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
 Super Sportster or Ultra Sport? >

Super Sportster or Ultra Sport?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Super Sportster or Ultra Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:13 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sportster or Ultra Sport?

How do these 2 differ in flight characteristics? I may possibly get a kit and I want to learn aerobatics like flat spins,point rolls,knifeedge,etc. but would prefer a plane that can do them at a comfortable speed. I'm guessing the Ultra Sport would be faster?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Super Sportster or Ultra Sport?

There's not much similarity between the two planes you mention. The Super Sportster is a good first low wing plane and does handle intro aerobatics. The Ultra Sport is closer to a pattern style plane and has much more precise handling.

If you're looking to practice knife edge and point rolls you'll appreciate the precision and minimized coupling of the Ultra Sport. The Super Sportster, while a nice flying plane, doesn't handle knife edge nearly as well. You'll be fighting to hold the edge where the Ultra Sport will stay on edge easier. This will also help with your point rolls.

The Ultra Sport slows down well and is easy to land. For more advanced aerobatics, I'd recommend the US.

Dave
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto
Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Double Ditto.

The Ultra Sport is probably one of the best sport planes ever built. In fact, it flies so well that a large group of people here on RCU campaigned Great Planes to bring this plane back into production. Once you fly it you'll know just why we went to so much work to get it back. Simply put, nothing flies like an Ultra Sport. It flies like it's on rails and will put a permanent smile on your face from flying it. Yet, with all of it's capabilities it's not the type of plane that will reach up and bite it's pilot when you least expect it. It's very well behaved no matter how you are flying it. From reading what you want to do I think that the Ultra Sport is your best choice.

Ken
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Thanks all for the advice. Sounds like a fun plane. I may pick up the .60 kit. I also want a Super Skybolt,but I think I'll go with the ARF on that one,and I'd like to get another sport plane under my belt first.
How is the build on the UltraSport? I've only build one kit and it was a GP Spirit sailplane,but that was so many years ago I don't remember it much.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ultrasport
Old 11-20-2007, 01:50 PM
kdc

This site will show you more about building the Ultrasport.
http://tesla-2.dyndns.org/~mhammer/us60/
Old 11-21-2007, 11:50 PM

The sportster for sure isnt the best a precise aerobatics. It was a nice second plane but just try to knife edge it as see what happens. Go with the us.