Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Getting back into RC

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Getting back into RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into RC

I flew RC aircraft for many years but went back to flying control line aerobatics about eight years ago. I live in St. Augustine, FL, but I recently joined the Ridge Barnstormers in Lake Wales, FL. Both of my daughters live in Winter Haven (very close to Lake Wales) and I am down there quite often so I joined so I would have a place to fly when I am visiting them. The Barnstormers field is equipped for both RC and CL. My original plan was to just use the CL circle but then the urge to build me an RC airplane hit.

I built a Sig Kavalier with an OS LA46 in it for power with a Futaba 4 channel radio system. I have always considered the Kav to be the best all round sport flying RC model in that size class. I will be in Winter Haven most of next week and will put the maiden flights on the Kav. I have enlisted the help of Phil Coopy, a member of the Barnstormers, just in case there is some rust on the thumbs. I have been using the Real Flight sim to get in some practice before it comes time for the real thing. I don't anticipate any problems.

I still love CL aerobatics and will keep at it, but I am looking forward to wiggling the sticks again.

Can't wait for next week. Fly a little RC, then some Cl, then some more RC, then some more CL.... Well, you get the picture.

Bill Hodges
An old retired guy still having fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59300.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1190707  
Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Getting back into RC

good luck I had a13 year absence from flying and flew by my self no trouble at all.still greased the landing.Good luck
Old 05-02-2009, 08:13 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome back and nice looking plane. Dave
Old 05-02-2009, 11:29 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill, I think you have taken several good precautions in your reentry to RC: (1) practiced on a simulator, (2) enlisted a frequent flyer to help you out on your first flights, and (3) chose a stable trainer type plane to start with. I have watched several guys recently come back to RC after years of being out, and they tried it on their own. The result was typically lots of overcontrolling, some crashes, and their reversion to some trainers and help from others. You are going about it the right way to me, with caution and not being over confident. If you find it is like riding a bike, then great, and you can turn yourself loose with wild abandon. By the way, that is a great looking Kavalier!!! Good luck on your reentry. Jon
Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

There's a small club closer to you if you don't already know it.

You can also come up to our club any weekend and hang out, we are probably 45 minutes or so from you, ask for Andy if you stop in.

http://www.jaxrc.com
Old 05-03-2009, 07:27 AM
clpahodges

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will post the results of the maiden flights later this week.

Andy, I am familiar with local club here in St. Augustine. In fact, I was President of that club at one time quite a few years back. Right now, my plans are to leave the RC planes at my daughter's house so I will not have to haul them back and forth, but those plans may change. I may take you up on that invite to visit your field sometime. We (the X47 Flyers) fly CL most Sunday mornings at the Cecil Commerce Center and would be glad to have you come by and check us out. Just take Aviation Drive off 103rd and keep looking to your right. We fly on an unused parking lot. During the week, we fly on a soccer field here in St. Aug.

Bill H.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just in lake Wales and Winterhaven in October to cover the Monster Planes show for RCU Magazine. Make sure you get up there to see that one next year!

Love St Augustine too!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
clpahodges

Mike:

I missed the last Monster Plane show, but I plan on attending the next one. Have the dates been announced yet and will it be at the same place?

Bill H.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
clpahodges

Well, I put five flights on the new Kavalier this morning. The only trim needed was two clicks of left aileron. The plane performed just as I had hoped it would. As for the pilot, I guess it is like riding a bike, you don't forget how. It all came back with no problems at all and I had a blast.

Going back tomorrow morning.

Bill H.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
clpahodges

I had a slight (well, maybe not so slight) problem come up today. After several flights, while removing the wing from the fuse, I discovered fuel all in the tank and radio compartments. I immediately soaked up all that I could and then looked for the source. At some point during the day's flying, the tank had split about 1/8" at the top front where the tank halves are joined together.

I have removed the radio gear and applied K2R twice with good results and will let the fuse sit for a day or two with Speedi-Dry in it to soak up what is left of the oil. All the radio gear is fine. Doesn't appear that there will be any damage to speak of.

This was a brand new Hayes tank that I pressure tested for leaks after getting it set up. Anyone else had any problems with the Hayes tanks?

Oh well, stuff happens!!
Bill H.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Ptarmigan

I wanted to get back into RC flying, but my schedule did not permit it due to my school (just earned a Master's degree). Hope to get back into it soon.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Redback

Hey Ptarmigan

Remember you from a few years back, wondered where you went.

Next steps are get a job, earn money, squander it on RC

Terry
Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Ptarmigan

ORIGINAL: Redback

Hey Ptarmigan

Remember you from a few years back, wondered where you went.

Next steps are get a job, earn money, squander it on RC

Terry
I remember you and yes, I will do that! [8D]