Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > Suggestions
Reload this Page >

RCU is now almost unuseable for dial up users

Community
Search
Notices
Suggestions Have a suggestion for a feature, new category or anything else? Let us know by posting it here!

RCU is now almost unuseable for dial up users

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:47 AM
coupar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCU is now almost unuseable for dial up users

The advertising graphics on RCU have been a nuisance especially for slow dial-up users (20K-50K) but I certainly accept that you have to pay sponsors and that’s just a fact of life I have lived with.

However, the recent changes you have made to RCU have apparently increased the advertising and graphics density to the point that the site is useless for a dial up user like myself. It takes several minutes to switch pages even within the forums.

I have enjoyed using your site over the past year or so and have even bought from some of your sponsors but all good things have to come to an end.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:06 AM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: RCU is now almost unuseable for dial up users

coupar,

There must be something else going on with your system....

I have been on a 56K modem for a very long time and my page loads run in the 5 to 12 second range. Could it possibly be something with your browser or something else bottlenecking your system...? Temp files or something running in the background that is slowing you down...?

I'd be interested to hear from other dial up users, as I don't think you and I are the only ones.

JMO

Edit: BTW, when I hit OK it took 5 seconds for the page to refresh............
Old 05-20-2004, 01:04 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perhaps he is actually connecting at 28.8 on his 56k modem.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:49 PM
coolguy234

Try to run some spyware remover, I'm sure there must be some spyware running in the background. Or use some software to detect the speed at which you are connecting(don't use the 2 computers in the taskbar, they are crap!).
Old 05-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

When was the last time you did a "system cleanup"? If you're running WIN98/ME/XP this option is available under the start menu,programs,system tools. Get rid of all those old temp and internet temp files. Do a system defrag in that same system tools menu.Start your system in the safe mode, and use these tools to get rid of spy ware:http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
And this:http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22262,00.asp The first is Adaware, the second is Spybot search and destroy. The reason you want to run these in the safe mode is to prevent the programs that are slowing down your computer and running in the background from starting up. If they are running in the background, the removal tools may not be able to remove the offending programs.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:22 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Default THIS WILL SPEED UP THE SITE!

Dial-up users and others will be pleased to know that you can disable ALL banner ads on the site (except the site home page), including those in the forum area!

Yup...you heard right. R/C Power and R/C Platinum members can do this just by clicking the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/members]My Account[/link] link atop any page. Scroll down to the new "Show Banner Ads" control and flick the switch!

We implemented this option for our upgraded members in order to keep most of the features on the site free of charge for those who either don't mind banners or don't wish to pay for the services we provide. Advertising is a major source of funding for the site, but now users have the option to turn them on and off in a single click.

For those who upgrade, the banner ad toggle is just one of many enhanced features we provide at the cost of a slice of pizza per month. Not a big deal at all.

Michael
Old 05-20-2004, 07:50 PM
coupar

Thanks for all the feedback. Surprised nobody else is complaining but, sorry guys, nothing's wrong with my system. I only noticed the slow downs on RCU. I've looked at the size of the new RCU pages and on a refresh it takes about the right time to download. If the banner etc. is cached it will indeed load faster but at 20-56K these new adds are killers and each new one can only come through the pipe so fast.

Thanks mkranitz, RCU may consider this a solution but I think you could advertise just as effectively with less graphic detail and avoid pissing off your potential customers..... your sponsors might even sell more!

Like I said, I've really enjoyed this site over the past couple of years but I cant spend my time waiting for an add to load. There are other forums out there, many of them free with no adds.

Mkranitz: I realize you guys need to make money to stay in business. To provide good service and feed the kids at the same time, it's a fine line, but for me you just crossed it.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:49 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: coupar

Mkranitz: I realize you guys need to make money to stay in business. To provide good service and feed the kids at the same time, it's a fine line, but for me you just crossed it.
There is an old saying I am sure you heard before "You get what you pay for".

I wish you the best of luck in your search for answers. Any site out there cannot afford the volume of services we offer or the depth of services. If you are willing to settle for much fewer posts, few answers, fewer classified ads, fewer features all over your 2 choices of waiting a bit for an ad to load or spending $20 for an entire year (which is only $1.67 a month - less than the cost of a slice of pizza or less than what it takes to pay for a family of 3 at Wendy's) then there isn't much more I can do. We provided the options and if you are willing to settle for much less in the name of either speed or $20/yr then the place you click to from now on is your choice.

We'll continue to provide great services, support and more to the best of our ability. Perhaps one day in the future you will either get broadband, decide waiting isn't so bad after all or pay $20 for a whole year. I'm sure you will need to sample what is out there to understand how "you get what you pay for" applies here. Our goal isn't to be the cheapest. It is to be the best.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:51 PM
mvigod
Banned

One question for you? How much does your 56k connection cost you per month? Per year? Of your time online how much of it percentage wise was spent on RCU?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: coupar

Thanks mkranitz, RCU may consider this a solution but I think you could advertise just as effectively with less graphic detail and avoid pissing off your potential customers..... your sponsors might even sell more!

Our clients design most of the ads on the site. THEY LIKE the graphics. So do many of our members. Text ads won't cut it.

Now, what really confuses me is how I "crossed the line". Are you serious? We just offered members a way to eliminate banner ads if THEY choose. We provided an option and you feel we've "crossed the line." You've got me there. Im stumped.

If you don't want to pay, you don't have to. If you don't want to see the ads, your usage of the site will cost exactly $1.66 per month. I'm sure you spend more than that on beer or milk or cigarettes or pizza or virtually anything that goes in one end and comes out the other (and at that price only once a month!). We provide a steady valuable service FREE every day of the year. It's free if you want it that way. If you hate banners, pay the nominal fee and get free bucks in the market, no banners and all the other stuff you get with your upgrade.

It's all about giving you choice. Sorry we've offended you with that.

Michael
Old 05-21-2004, 12:54 AM
coolguy234

Hey coupar, you are in the USA, then why not get some high speed connection? you'de be amazed how fast it is and beside I heard that in the US it's not expensive at all. My RCU page loads in less than 1 sec with all the ads and dynamic menu turned on.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:54 AM
aimmaintenance

ORIGINAL: heli001

coupar,

There must be something else going on with your system....

I have been on a 56K modem for a very long time and my page loads run in the 5 to 12 second range. Could it possibly be something with your browser or something else bottlenecking your system...? Temp files or something running in the background that is slowing you down...?

I'd be interested to hear from other dial up users, as I don't think you and I are the only ones.

JMO

Edit: BTW, when I hit OK it took 5 seconds for the page to refresh............
I connect at 26,400. Ya that's slow but It doesn't take long at all for this site. I think COUPAR doesn't understand what some spyware can do. I got a spy awhile back that slowed me WAAAAYYYY down on only 2 or three sites. RCUniverse was one of them. It was so bad that I'd type a message here and sit back and watch the letters come up for 15 or 20 seconds. Boy if that didn't make typing hard. Pages took a week to load, etc.
Spyware can follow you around and hit you only on select sites. (Yes these 13 year old computer freaks can really write spyware that does that)

COUPAR, I think ya need to follow some of the above advice. I'd lay a dollar to a doughnut that ya have a spy.

Slap ADAWARE on your system and clean house a little.

BTW, You might wanna watch what sites your on other than RCUniverse. ALOT of the sites dedicated to the exploration of the female anatomy will load you up with spyware.
Yes I know from experience.
If ya need some pointers on safer sites to enhance your viewing pleasure let me know.
I'm kinda a connisuer of sorts.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:08 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

My 56k handles RCU alright. But the college's T1 line is waaaaaaay better