Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Scale multi blade heads on 450?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Scale multi blade heads on 450?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
joe_crash
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale multi blade heads on 450?

The plan Ihave for the 450 Pro I am building now is to get a scale MD500 body and a 4 or 5 rotor head - I do not know which is factually correct on it, Iguess Iwill look it up.

Anyone have any suggestions about this?Is this going to be super hard to set up?Would Ibe better off going for a Bell Ranger Body and a FBL rotor head?

Thanks again everyone!I really like this forum - everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Thank you.
Joe

Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Rob2160

Default RE: Scale multi blade heads on 450?

ORIGINAL: joe_crash

The plan Ihave for the 450 Pro I am building now is to get a scale MD500 body and a 4 or 5 rotor head - I do not know which is factually correct on it, Iguess Iwill look it up.

Anyone have any suggestions about this?Is this going to be super hard to set up?Would Ibe better off going for a Bell Ranger Body and a FBL rotor head?

Thanks again everyone!I really like this forum - everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Thank you.
Joe

A 4 or a 5 head is fine for the 500 they came in both versions

more info.. here http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/v...p?f=20&t=12262

and from what I have researched in the 450 size helis.. yes it will be SUPERhard to set up.. 4 and 5 blade heads cause a lot more torque reaction and your tail will be working overtime to cope.. google it and also read the reviews on the Hobbyking website about those respective heads

A bell jet ranger is scale with 2 blades as is a Huey Cobra.. now, when they make a body of the Cobra for my 450 heli then I will definately be a first customer..

they do make a cobra but it priced at over $800 RTFin the local hobby store.. this one

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2N6f5qL6RE[/youtube]

but if you really have your heart set on the MD 500 just build it with a 2 blade rotor system.. once it is flying you won't see the difference.. i defy anyone to count 2, 4 or 5 blades when they are spinning at 3000 rpm...

I am cool with 'scaleish.." if you get too caught up in counting rivets.. it can spoil all the fun..

10 years of passionate model railroading taught me that "rivet counters" never enjoy their trains.. they just stand around complaining and criticising layouts that are NOT exactly Perfect replicas of the real thing..

Whereas my layout ran a Bullet train, american steam, modern americal diesel, A british virgin pendolino, the Hogwarts express and even Thomas, Gordon and Henry made a few appearances..

It was great fun and I didn't care ONE iota if my american diesels had 24 rivets and the real loco had 25...

sorry I've gone off topic,, but hopefully you get my point.. enjoy flying the MD 500 in an easy 2 blade set up.. it would look awesome in flight..

This video is sort of back on topic.. at least there is a heli.. I just had an idea..i'm going to make a Harold the helicopter body for an MSR...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FAEnDyA-70[/youtube]

Hope that helps..
Old 11-19-2010, 02:20 AM
madphil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like to say i have been talked out of a 4 blade head for my scale EC 135 it looks great when its flying and you cant tell if you want to go scale with your MD500 you would need a 5 blade head and they dont fold up with a blade caddy as well as a 2 blade setup .

if you still want to go with a multi blade head get the "flapping" one not the fixed blades they are still very "twitchy" but not as bad as a fixed head

Talking about rivet counting how many people would know how many blades a full size MD500 has

phil.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:46 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: madphil

I would also like to say i have been talked out of a 4 blade head for my scale EC 135 it looks great when its flying and you cant tell

Talking about rivet counting how many people would know how many blades a full size MD500 has

phil.
Exactly my point.. !!

Do you have some close up photos.. I'd love to see it flying also if you have any vid?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM
madphil

Joe Crash can you post some pics of your scale MD500 , Love my trex 450 V2 but i think one with a fuselage is a better looking helicopter

Rob2160 this was the heli when i first got it (pic 1)I have just fitted a full set of scale strobe/nav lights can't wait to fly it when its starting to go dark its now in my mates paint shop getting painted like the 2nd picture .

will post more pics soon .

phil
Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: madphil

Joe Crash can you post some pics of your scale MD500 , Love my trex 450 V2 but i think one with a fuselage is a better looking helicopter

Rob2160 this was the heli when i first got it (pic 1)I have just fitted a full set of scale strobe/nav lights can't wait to fly it when its starting to go dark its now in my mates paint shop getting painted like the 2nd picture .

will post more pics soon .

phil
Thanks Phil, that is a really beautiful looking helicopter.. it must look great in flight.

I think I will have to put a scale body on one of mine.. it would add a whole new dimension to flying.

Cheers..
Old 11-21-2010, 03:20 PM
madphil

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

I think I will have to put a scale body on one of mine.. it would add a whole new dimension to flying.

Cheers..

Rob theres 2 ways you can go full scale (looks stunning in the air ) or you can go for the hughes 300c , robinson R22 or maybe a bell 47 and still have the 3D flying with the scale look ,

i am looking for a 300c canopy with floats for my next build , have seen on another forum taking off and landing on water looks great fun ............ check out " RC heli fishing" on you tube.