Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Need US help!!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need US help!!!!

I am going to buy a Trex450 clone in the next couple of days and to be frank, it's been along time since I was into helicopters..........last one was a Kalt Baron 30 nitro.....when it was a new kit....LOL

I am on a pretty limited budget now for this hobby and really need to know what kit and parts I need to order.

I'm lost to be honest.....

Please help.

Shawn
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Default RE: Need US help!!!!

check hobby city.com, also try to order thru their US warehouse so that you may save on shipping.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM

Where Im lost is the electronics/ equipment I need.

I'm starting over from the beginning and have no idea about electric heli's........
Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: shawnm67

Where Im lost is the electronics/ equipment I need.

I'm starting over from the beginning and have no idea about electric heli's........
You need a radio, Spektrum DX7 is a popular one, good balance between price and features for helis. For a trex450 type of heli you can get a DX7 combo that comes with 3 micro servos and 6100e (or similar) receiver that will be sufficient.

You'll need a gyro. Futaba GY401 was the standard for a long time but you have some other good options now from Spartan and Align, as well as the newer Futaba GY520. I don't have enough experience to recommend any of the new stuff though, I'm still cool with the 401. You'll want a fast digital tail servo to go with the gyro also. Something like a Futaba 9257 is often recommended.

I think most (all?) Align kits include the brushless motor and ESC which are fine to start with. Clones you might want to do more research on what they come with or if you buy separate.

And you'll need a LIPO, 3S around 2100mAH 25C is normal for this size heli. And of course a LIPO charger if you don't have one (make sure it's a balance charger).

That pretty much covers it I think. There's such a wide variety of clone kits out there from bare bones to complete you really got to look closely to see what's included. Are you familiar with LIPO's and brushless motor technology in general?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Yea, a DX7 is popular, but I personally don't care for it and it will work. Before starting on list, I have learned that you don't want to skimp on the electronics. It can really affect how it flies and how well you learn. Assuming that you go Spektrum which would be the cheaper route, here are some recommendations:

1. cyclic servo's - any 9 gram servo will work, Iuse Hitec HS65HB which are karbonite gears. If youcan afford it, go with the MG(metal gear) and it will save you in the long run.

2. receiver - as said earlier, the 6100 or 6110 will work, just make sure you get the E which is end pins. It will make it much easier. BTW, on receivers, check which way the pins are suppose to go in. If you plug a AR6110E receiver with the ESC backwards, you may fry your receiver and ESC. For some reason, that particular receiver you plug it in upside down.

3. gyro - The Futaba 401 willl work as said earlier. This is one thing you definitely don't want to skimp on. A good gyro will pay for itself. I use the Futaba GY520 and love it. Easy to program and works great. Another great choice is the Spartan Quark which is also a favorite. Check Ebay, seen these gyros for up to $70 cheaper if you find the right seller.

4. tail servo - As said earlier, the Futaba 9257 is an excellent tail servo. You definitely want a stronger servo on the tail. Believe it or not, it is the hardest working servo on your heli.

5. ESC - You will want at least a 35 amp ESC. I would suggest the Align 35 A ESC. It works fantastic and is already programmed for heli's. If you ESC fails in flight, you are screwed.

6. motor - I use the Align 450M, works great. For motors, you can go a lot of different routes depending on what kind of performance you want. You can go with a 400 size motor with reduced performance, or a 450 size motor with increased performance. I bought a Hobby kIng Typhoon motor that is suppose to be decent. I have tried it out yet, so I can't say from personal experience and it is cheaper.