Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Installing Futaba R617FS in T-REX450 Sport >

Installing Futaba R617FS in T-REX450 Sport

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Installing Futaba R617FS in T-REX450 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Futaba R617FS in T-REX450 Sport

Hello,
I am building an Align T-REX450 Sport, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to locate my Futaba R617FS receiver. The most difficult thing to achieve is to keep it at least 3cm from the ESC and motor wires while trying to route the two antennae at right angles to each other. I'm also trying to keep the antennae from being too close to the frame and tail supports(carbon). I'm using all the stock components(see my signature), including the gyro platform.

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of this specific receiver installed in this specific helicopter. Does anyone have pics of their R617FS installation in this specific bird?

I do see lots of pics from previous versions(450-SE2, which mounts the gyro in a different location), and other receivers.

Ed Hernandez

T-REX 450 Sport Super Combo
RCE-BL35X 35A Brushless ESC
Stock motor and stiff wiring
DS-410M cyclic servos
DS-420 tail servo
GP-780 gyro
Futaba 7C 2.4GHz
R617FS
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Installing Futaba R617FS in T-REX450 Sport

ORIGINAL: ehernan3

Hello,
I am building an Align T-REX450 Sport, and I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to locate my Futaba R617FS receiver. The most difficult thing to achieve is to keep it at least 3cm from the ESC and motor wires while trying to route the two antennae at right angles to each other. I'm also trying to keep the antennae from being too close to the frame and tail supports(carbon). I'm using all the stock components(see my signature), including the gyro platform.

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of this specific receiver installed in this specific helicopter. Does anyone have pics of their R617FS installation in this specific bird?

I do see lots of pics from previous versions(450-SE2, which mounts the gyro in a different location), and other receivers.

Ed Hernandez

T-REX 450 Sport Super Combo
RCE-BL35X 35A Brushless ESC
Stock motor and stiff wiring
DS-410M cyclic servos
DS-420 tail servo
GP-780 gyro
Futaba 7C 2.4GHz
R617FS
I use the 617FS in all my 450 Helis.. this is the best way to mount them. I have had 1000's of flights with nil issues ever..

You can see my installation in a 450 Sport clonein this video clearly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNdeEserSU

The receiver at the back.. the two aerials facing forward and placed inside the aerial cable that came with your kit.. (or a pushrod outer tubing) run the aerials forward and outside the frame as per the yellow in the photo below..

It gives perfect reception in every orientation.

The same method works for the Hobbyking Futaba Orange (copy) receiver

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 AM

Rob,
Many thanks. I'd come up with a method that also uses the aerial cable, but I wasn't that confident in the routing until I saw your installation. I'm still paranoid about the proximity to the ESC and motor wires, but less so knowing you've made so many flights. I'll post a pic of what I came up with, but I might change it. Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 617 mounted pretty much the exact same way in mine... hundreds of flights... no issues.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Rob,
Many thanks. I'd come up with a method that also uses the aerial cable, but I wasn't that confident in the routing until I saw your installation. I'm still paranoid about the proximity to the ESC and motor wires, but less so knowing you've made so many flights. I'll post a pic of what I came up with, but I might change it. Thanks again!
I totally understand your paranoia.. I agonised about aerial mounting for more than 3 days when I built my first heli and was looking at all options of how to position them..

I honestly beleive the way I have shown is at least as good as any other possible method..

Your paranoia is a good thing in my opinion.. prior planning can often prevent disappointment later..

but if it helps..I have flown my helis to well over 300 feet in height and over 150 meters away in all orientations and they have never EVER had any problems.

I have also "walk range tested" the first 3 helicopters (each with the 617FS)out to over 2 Kilometers.. line of sight.. turning the helis in every possible orientation and they NEVER lost signal contact..

i have been flying RC aircraft for over 33 years.. and I have been using 2.4Ghz for almost 12 months now.. I have flown over 5000 flights in the past 12 months on 2.4 Ghz.. (not exaggerating at all.. I only work 6 days per month - and fly every other day.. at least 10 times.. ) and the 2.4 Ghz gear is Fabulous.. easily the best equipment I have ever used in 33 years..

i also have a Futaba 7C and the Futaba gear is top notch.... relax.. the radio will work flawlessly.. just enjoy flying your heli!

Hope that helps..
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM

LOL......Listen to Rob...........he is not kidding. He is a flying machine and really knows his stuff!!!!!

Shawn
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Well, I got over my paranoia and had my maiden flight tonight! I'm so psyched I flew it in my backyard, and I had no issues.

Here are pics of my R617FS installation. On the last pic, you can see both the antennae. Ignore the tape; I glued the tubing in place to hold the antennae, and the tape was there to be my third hand. I got to find a way to use the zip tie for more security, like yours.

Like I said, I might not keep it this way, but my frame is different, and it limited where I could put the ESC, so I routed the antennae accordingly. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91197.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1589898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17969.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1589899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52537.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1589900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76399.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1589901  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 PM

Well, I got over my paranoia and had my maiden flight tonight! I'm so psyched I flew it in my backyard, and I had no issues.

Here are pics of my R617FS installation. On the last pic, you can see both the antennae. Ignore the tape; I glued the tubing in place to hold the antennae, and the tape was there to be my third hand. I got to find a way to use the zip tie for more security, like yours.

Like I said, I might not keep it this way, but my frame is different, and it limited where I could put the ESC, so I routed the antennae accordingly. What do you think?
Yes, that should work fine.. you have the aerials clear of the frame and also at 90 degrees to each other..

The only concern I see is that the aerials might fray or weaken over time in the airflow.. don't be afraid to use longer tubing that completely covers the entire aerial.. it will protect it more in the rotor downwash andplastic is "invisible" to the 2.4Ghz radio signals...

but otherwise your installation looks good.

PS.. thanks for the vote of confidence Shawn.. I'm just super paranoid also.. but after 1000's of flights I have total confidence in the Futaba gear.. (and spektrum for that matter)

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Rob,

Ah, that's good advice about letting the tubing completely cover the aerials. I had initially wanted to see where the ends were located, but now that I know they're good, I'll redo them with longer tubes in the same locations.

I saw that you also use Futaba 7C. Do you happen to use that in conjunction with the Align GP-780 gyro? If so, I wanted to know your logic behind setting the gain. The little note in the Align gyro manual about Futaba gain range isn't clear, given the actual Futaba 7C has a full range(0-100%) for A and a full range for for N.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 PM

Rob,

Ah, that's good advice about letting the tubing completely cover the aerials. I had initially wanted to see where the ends were located, but now that I know they're good, I'll redo them with longer tubes in the same locations.

I saw that you also use Futaba 7C. Do you happen to use that in conjunction with the Align GP-780 gyro? If so, I wanted to know your logic behind setting the gain. The little note in the Align gyro manual about Futaba gain range isn't clear, given the actual Futaba 7C has a full range(0-100%) for A and a full range for for N.
Hi,

Sorry I don't use the Align Gyro, I use the good old cheap Hobbyking 401.. I am away from home for a few days but wheni get back tormorrow i will check my 7C gain settings and let you know..