Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 trex 600 e esc issue >

trex 600 e esc issue

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

trex 600 e esc issue

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trex 600 e esc issue

hi guys i need a bit of help on this 1 i have a 100 amp align esc on my 600 it spools up fine seems to fly great but when i land the motor stays running not fast but to get it to stop turning i have to use my throttle trim and run it down to get it to stop. i bought this used and didnt even think about esc setup. also it has the mikado vbar fbl blue box 5.0 controller could this be the problem ? i have looked through setup procedures etc for align esc found info but all i see was put throttle to full up to enter setup? would i have to do this for it to see high/low throttle? i am using a dx7 with 2 sats into the mikado. thanx
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM

Default RE: trex 600 e esc issue

If programming the esc doesn't help, you will have to go into your travel adjust menu an the dx7 and set the bottom end of the throttle into the negative. My friend has an align esc on his trex450 with dx7, and we had to set the low end of the throttle at -109%.

You could also try re-binding the RX. I am told that sometimes this solves wierd throttle problems
Old 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: madmorgan

... i have looked through setup procedures etc for align esc found info but all i see was put throttle to full up to enter setup? would i have to do this for it to see high/low throttle? ...
Yes. Set-up is set-up. That is where you tell the ESC where is 0% throttle and where is 100% throttle. If your ESC does not know where 0% throttle is, I venture to say that it does not know where 100% throttle is neither. So a re-programming of the ESC might be in order.

Also, you might want to read up on helicopter programming. If the ESC lets the rotor stop at full down throttle trim, then that might be a good practice for when you get into nitro powered birds. That is how we actually kill the engine. Just a thought, before you go out and re-program the ESC.

One question tho; why do you have the trim partially up?

Rafael
Old 09-23-2011, 03:29 AM

well rebind doesnt help so i guess i will try the setup the weird thing is it doesnt do it at main power up just when i bring it back down to ground  but thanx guys i will probably end up setting end points in tx . waiting on tail gears atm
Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 AM

oh and to answer about the trim i have throttle trim set center i have to lower sub trim to get it to stop spinning
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: madmorgan

oh and to answer about the trim i have throttle trim set center i have to lower sub trim to get it to stop spinning
I understand. I do not claim to be an electric heli expert. I do have 20+ years of experience in nitro flying. To add a little information about the trim, I have all my throttle trims, including my electric helis all the way down. That is probably a carry-pver from my nitro experience, and compunded by the fact that I fly all my helis on just one transmitter. So when the stick is all the way down and the trim is all the way down then it is absolute zero throttle. If I raise the trim, the rotor starts spinning.

If you have to mess with subtrims to get it to stop spiining, then Set-up or throttle channel travel are your two options. I suggest set-up.

Rafael
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Ive not heard a lot of good about the ESC that comes with the 600.  I actually own one (bought at swap meet brand new) that I use in my 500.  I didnt know the bad press the 100a Align ESC had been getting before I bought it (didnt need it at the time but guy practially gave it away for 20 bucks WITH a 2s Align LIPO...so I bought it for the parts box).

After reading up on it after the purchase...I decided to use it in my EXI 500 as it would never get overworked.  And it doesnt...and so far I havent had any issues.  Not even like the one you are describing and I keep my throttle trim in centered position.

So, its either setup like mentioned before (and most likely Im guessing) and/or you are experiencing another issue with this model of 100A ESC.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:08 PM

i have read where some of em burst into a flireball yay lol
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM

One more thing...have you checked the programming for "Throttle Hold" in your TX?

I just put together a spare 450 that I bought as a parts heli because xHeli had them on sale. Anyway...I put in a brand new Alpha 400 I had as a spare as well (I bought 2 when I built my main 450 so I would have a backup motor) and on my main 450 I have Throttle hold at -5, but this new build...the motor still turns at -5 so I had to go to -10 in order to get it to stop. These are 2 identical motors!

So...if you use throttle hold...this could be something to look at...or not. Just trying to throw you a bone. Im still very much a n00b so take my advice for what its worth. lol