Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

My 500 will not hold a hover.

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

My 500 will not hold a hover.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM
airnot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 500 will not hold a hover.

Hello, Electronics are by far my weak spot. I lost my instructor/repair man so here I am. My trex 500 use to hold a hover just great, It was not crashed nor any changes made to it. Now it just bounces all over. You can hold it steady for maybe 10 seconds then it acts like it cuts out on power. It don't just drop down a few feet but can bounce to the side also. It don't appear don't jump up.
I do have a futaba tx/rx. Thinking about putting on a spectrum receiver for a starting point, the radio would be a DX6i. If this don't work what would be the next easiest try? thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 06:54 AM
augerin2

Default RE: My 500 will not hold a hover.

If you do go with the spektrum tx/rx I can help walk you through the set up I have a 500 ( flybarred) & a 550e flybarless that I fly on my Dx6i. Unfortunatly I cna't help with the Futaba system as I'm not familier with it. keep in touch
Jim R
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM
aircrash

Once it acts weird then can it get a hover again for 10 sec ?
I mean once it looses power can it get up in the air again?

Well, I would check the battery and the motor/mesh and the belt tension/drivetrain.
If it looses power out of battery or cause the motor needs to draw too much power then it will loose height and stability as it will be close to ground effect.
You can check if the battery or motor or esc gets too hot and check with a li-po voltage meter if battery gets exhausted too much.

I would also check the servo`s gears. Servo may have a slop and this affects both the pitch and aileron.
Check the head for any slop.

I would also check the swashplate leveling through the entire travel.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

sounds as if your esc is going on the fritz. Low voltage at first, then it comes up. Are you giving the gyro enuf time to int?
Gary
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
airnot

Red baron...... I have just been spooling it up and let er fly. Will have to check out those tips from air crash then maybe replace the esc. If that don't work i have a spare esc.
Aircrash, it will go back in hover for a few seconds then drop from 10 feet down to 5 feet. Then I can repeat it several times before I wrestle it down for a landing. Are you really from Greece, really neat, love this internet stuff as much as trying to fly helis......
Old 03-16-2012, 10:17 PM
aircrash

It sounds it looses power most probably out of battery / esc / motor problem.
Check also if the pinion slips inside the motor`s shaft or the one way bearing has worn and slips too when it gets hot.
If you have a fresh battery try this fist.

Yes, I`m from Greece and I like RC helis too. Greetings to Michigan !

Good luck on fixing the problem as there are many possible causes for this. It is easier if you have spare parts for practicing the trial and error method but sure luck is what helps on such cases.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM
airnot

Thanks aircrash. My blades might not be tracking, off mayby 1/4 inch (don't know what that would be in metric, centimeter?) would that cause some eratic behavier? Got tape on one blade but can't hover it long enough for a good look. And if I pick the right blade do I lower the high one or raise the lower one? thanks
I don't think its the battery, I got three and they all have a good charge when i start (12V)

Red Baron... Yes I do let it set and wait for it to stop beebing before flying. thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

airnto, your blades should not be off track at all. They should be parallel when spiing.
Try this: from mid stick make sure all of you angles (servo arms,swash plate etc) ar 90 degrees with each other. Then go to hi stick and set you max blade pitch, check each blade (mine are set at 10 degrees and I am not a hot dogger) then fly it. Repet this step unitl you get the sme on both blades over and over. Don't try toamke adjustss viwa the radio `cause that will sc..w things up. Your servos should be set at 100% travel on the radio, make your adjustments mechanically to get it right.
Take your time to get it right.
Hope the above helps.
Gary. aka Red Baron Gary
my club: www.redbarons.org
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 AM
aircrash

Yes, blades should track even.
Check the swashplate leveling at mid stick, trims at neutral. While it is leveled and with no trimming then check the blade tracking.
It should be perfect. If it is not then something may have bent, assuming the blades themselves are OK. Like the feathering shaft or a blade grip or something.
If nothing is bent then adjust the linkage of the high tracking blade to lower it so to make both of them track the same.
Then make a test run but careful about any trimming needed to compensate the bird`s behavior.