Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM
mnemennth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.. really?

Unless he has served the Flying Club with a written demand that they not fly in his airspace or posted the property with No Trespassing signs legible from the airfield, isn't that still legally theft? I realize you're close to the ocean anywhere in FL; but I don't believe maritime salvage rights obtain.

mnem
Yeah, yeah... possession is 9/10, etc...
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Hmmm.. really?

Unless he has served the Flying Club with a written demand that they not fly in his airspace or posted the property with No Trespassing signs legible from the airfield, isn't that still legally theft? I realize you're close to the ocean anywhere in FL; but I don't believe maritime salvage rights obtain.

mnem
Yeah, yeah... possession is 9/10, etc...
Hiya Mnem!

As always there must be some "rest of the story".

Here's how Florida works. If you don't have express permission. You don't trespass on ANYONES property.

As best I could tell from the really nice Peurto Rican flier was that the fella next door isn't happy he BUILT a home next to a long time flying club.

Further the guys at the field use "gassers". BIG gassers and start every day @ 0700 and this neighbor some 150 yards away is NOT a friend of the club.

Honestly, I wouldn't fly there and look for another place for a club. ALLLLL around them is private property. Literally when you take off you are flying over someone else's land.

What kinda sux is I was told they are a GREAT group of guys and take GREAT delight in helping folks achieve their flying goals.

If I was on that side of town (it's some 30 miles EXACTLY on the other side of the world from me) I'd like to visit the club.

As it is I literally have 4 fields with in 15 miles of me with three of them with in 10.

THIS place, about the same distance as MY club is WAY cool!

b

Last edited by rikybob; 09-17-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 AM
Edmund2

Hi all, yes I am still alive and kicking after deciding to extend my holiday with another 4 weeks. So six weeks later I am back at the office and have to do some major catch up. Do not know if I will find the time to do any catch up here.

Edmund
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by Edmund2
Hi all, yes I am still alive and kicking after deciding to extend my holiday with another 4 weeks. So six weeks later I am back at the office and have to do some major catch up. Do not know if I will find the time to do any catch up here.

Edmund
Hiya Edmund!

Glad to hear from you as (oddly) it makes me nervous when you travel. My imagination tends to run WILD!

SIX WEEKS???? That's WONDERFUL!!

So happy to see you had a great bit of down time!

Hmmmmm "catch up" consists of the following:

1) Simon turned 50!

2) Brian and Jonesy are flying quads!

3) Mnem is in the process of moving.

4) Bryan and Hugh joined and actual flying club.

5) Rob is "working" his brains out!

6) Kozzy's mom won't let him post!.

7) Ingleburn is at "decision" point on his next build but I'm thinking "quad"!

8) "Lurkers" be "lurkin"!

Glad yer back and ALL THE BEST!!

b

Last edited by rikybob; 09-17-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:49 AM
Edmund2

Tx for the quick update.Will try to post a picture of my 2 3/4 year old grandson firmly believing he is flying a BOL with my son hiding behind a fence flying it. Was an absolute delight tot see his face full of concentration with the little body bending to make the turns. I parted with my Lama4 and low and behold he can actuall fly it but difficult to get him to stay away from full throttle. Left lots of spare blades for repairs.

Did not take anything else along as the desert sand would have clogged up everything on a real heli. Lodge looked great now that they eventually finished building it and bookings are good. (kayovariverlodge.com). Very suprised that they managed to establish a lawn on that sand in the year since we were there last, but lots of water and patience can get everything right. Had frequent visits in and on the riverbanks of Hippos and crocs and even conducted a wetlands bird count with my son. Hard to believe but I even went fishing, something I last did about 40 years ago. Had just below 1200 e-mails waiting for me at the office yesterday morning.

Seriously now looking at early retirement as work has started to interfere with my love to farm, fly and shoot or is it the other way around being shoot and fly and farm.

Edmund
Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 AM
rikybob

Tx for the quick update.Will try to post a picture of my 2 3/4 year old grandson firmly believing he is flying a BOL with my son hiding behind a fence flying it. Was an absolute delight tot see his face full of concentration with the little body bending to make the turns. I parted with my Lama4 and low and behold he can actuall fly it but difficult to get him to stay away from full throttle. Left lots of spare blades for repairs.

Did not take anything else along as the desert sand would have clogged up everything on a real heli. Lodge looked great now that they eventually finished building it and bookings are good. (kayovariverlodge.com). Very suprised that they managed to establish a lawn on that sand in the year since we were there last, but lots of water and patience can get everything right. Had frequent visits in and on the riverbanks of Hippos and crocs and even conducted a wetlands bird count with my son. Hard to believe but I even went fishing, something I last did about 40 years ago. Had just below 1200 e-mails waiting for me at the office yesterday morning.

Seriously now looking at early retirement as work has started to interfere with my love to farm, fly and shoot or is it the other way around being shoot and fly and farm.

Edmund

Hi again Edmund!

I'm sooooo pleased you had a GREAT time and what a cool thing to do with the grandson!!

I have to imagine that it was funny as heck for to watch him twist and turn to help the craft fly!

REALLY glad to see that the lodge is coming to fruition and hope that you know that out of the 1200 emails that about 40 need attentions!

Do yourself a favor and RETIRE! You don't get any more years on the "backside" and when you quite you'll extend your life exponentially!

You WON'T regret it!

On my end I'm 9 days from FULL retirement and I still LOVE my career!. I can work UP to five years (or three bad days in a row )

RETIRE!!!

b
Old 09-17-2013, 12:12 PM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by rikybob
Hiya Mnem!

As always there must be some "rest of the story".

Here's how Florida works. If you don't have express permission. You don't trespass on ANYONES property.

As best I could tell from the really nice Peurto Rican flier was that the fella next door isn't happy he BUILT a home next to a long time flying club.

Further the guys at the field use "gassers". BIG gassers and start every day @ 0700 and this neighbor some 150 yards away is NOT a friend of the club.

Honestly, I wouldn't fly there and look for another place for a club. ALLLLL around them is private property. Literally when you take off you are flying over someone else's land.

What kinda sux is I was told they are a GREAT group of guys and take GREAT delight in helping folks achieve their flying goals.

If I was on that side of town (it's some 30 miles EXACTLY on the other side of the world from me) I'd like to visit the club.

As it is I literally have 4 fields with in 15 miles of me with three of them with in 10.

THIS place, about the same distance as MY club is WAY cool!

b
Ahhhh... yeah. Okay. I guess that makes sense... if you're a southerner. Where I come from you aren't expected to know where property lines are by osmosis, so you have to POST your property so people KNOW where they can and cannot be.

Of course, that's a lot like another thing I've noticed different; I think it's a fundamental difference in the attitude. Up north, you are expected to knock on the bathroom door (public or private) and wait for a response before entering, and if you're in there, you are expected to answer that it's "Occupado!"

Down here, you are expected to lock the bathroom door (whether or not the lock actually works is a chance you take; you can like it or act like it) and if you don't and someone walks in on you, it's YOUR fault. If you knock on the door and expect an answer, people look at you like you're crazy.

As for the flying field woes... you lucky git!

You have ACTUAL fields that belong to the club; we have one club that's retired Air Force 40 miles away an located on Lackland AFB; and we have my little club which is just about 15 regulars who are at the mercy of whatever church or township governing body whom we can make a deal with for a chunk of time every week to use their property. That's pretty much it unless you wanna drive to Austin.

Yey model airplanes! *NOT*

Maybe that's how the guy with his "little house on the airway" is making a living now... if those planes are that big, and that many crash on his property... could make a tidy sum selling on Fleabay. Some folks are downright un-neighborly; but especially down here I've noticed the concept of "Community" just doesn't exist. I think they don't understand the difference between that and Communism, which, as we all know, is just this side of the end of days.

mnem
Texas is utterly uncivilized, and it's infecting the rest of the nation. The Wackos in Waco were just the canary in the coal mine, I'm tellin' ya...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Ahhhh... yeah. Okay. I guess that makes sense... if you're a southerner. Where I come from you aren't expected to know where property lines are by osmosis, so you have to POST your property so people KNOW where they can and cannot be.

Of course, that's a lot like another thing I've noticed different; I think it's a fundamental difference in the attitude. Up north, you are expected to knock on the bathroom door (public or private) and wait for a response before entering, and if you're in there, you are expected to answer that it's "Occupado!"

Down here, you are expected to lock the bathroom door (whether or not the lock actually works is a chance you take; you can like it or act like it) and if you don't and someone walks in on you, it's YOUR fault. If you knock on the door and expect an answer, people look at you like you're crazy.

As for the flying field woes... you lucky git!

You have ACTUAL fields that belong to the club; we have one club that's retired Air Force 40 miles away an located on Lackland AFB; and we have my little club which is just about 15 regulars who are at the mercy of whatever church or township governing body whom we can make a deal with for a chunk of time every week to use their property. That's pretty much it unless you wanna drive to Austin.

Yey model airplanes! *NOT*

Maybe that's how the guy with his "little house on the airway" is making a living now... if those planes are that big, and that many crash on his property... could make a tidy sum selling on Fleabay. Some folks are downright un-neighborly; but especially down here I've noticed the concept of "Community" just doesn't exist. I think they don't understand the difference between that and Communism, which, as we all know, is just this side of the end of days.

mnem
Texas is utterly uncivilized, and it's infecting the rest of the nation. The Wackos in Waco were just the canary in the coal mine, I'm tellin' ya...
Yah, Florida, even though it resembles a ***** is a really cool place to live!

We are a great mish/mash of many states and culture but it's still affordable and we have a great environment!

Day seven is OVER and after having passed out on the couch I have awakened to find that the secretary has accepted my DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Plan) paperwork and since it's blowing 1000mph outside I am going to check out my salvaged Slow Stick motor (recall it was found in the flying club field and apparently HIT by the bush hog and STILL salvageable!)

Additionally I'm going to pull the props on my quad and replace with my original 9's!

Hope all is well with you biiizzzziiizzzaches!!!

b
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 PM
mnemennth

Still not far enough south until you hit Key West

mnem
I love Key West; half the people walk funny, and the other half don't care...
Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by ingleburn
There already out there Rob. Im sure someone posted a link ages ago.

http://youtu.be/gpPGiWKxnrM
Have you seen this thread on the HK Forums?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=34664&PN=1

I joined them years ago but never posted anything.. however this thread on the HK Collective Quad looks good..

wonder if it will ever get off the ground.. so to speak...
Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 AM
ahamay

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Have you seen this thread on the HK Forums?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=34664&PN=1
I joined them years ago but never posted anything.. however this thread on the HK Collective Quad looks good..
wonder if it will ever get off the ground.. so to speak...
This is an interesting concept. Having now built and flown a small quad (450 size) one thing that I really miss is the negative pitch to bring it back down under complete control. If it's really windy the quad suffers from stall if you decrease the throttle too much when trying to descend..... combined with the small size of the quad and mainly the weight... it can be a handful to bring back down. If I do run into trouble then I'll just do a forward flight descending spiral like I used to have to do on the old fixed pitch blade helicopters.

If your now using a constant motor speed and adjusting the pitch then there will need to be some smarts in the FCB. I would presume that you would have to run some sort of governor mode that had room to adjust the motor to compensate the increased pitch on one or more rotors....especially in the self level or stabilize mode.

Running a constant rotor speed would have advantages you would think the same as a heli with increased stability, but at the cost of shorter flight times due to battery drain.

Flying a quad upside does not really interest me (but **** yeah I'd give it a go)..... I don't think the GPS would work too well inverted either

Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 AM
rikybob

I fly with THIS fella out at the club.

They just use really, really good ESC's to achieve the same effect rather than negative....

Rained out of the field today

b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65DbTuAVNEQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnT0qKpXJEUYJ_0St6cg6UA
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 AM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

The Wx is NOT cooperating on my days off and I'm out of projects, nothing is on at the movies and it's a forkin' Wednesday!

I was able to fly and sail a bit but now I'm releagated to hangin' inside and watching (already seen it at the movies once) "The hunger games".

I won't tell you that I feel a bit dirty admiring the absolute beauty that is Jennifer Lawrence. Odd, unconventional beauty!

Enjoy me viddys while I try NOT to pull the trigger on the HK Mega out of sheer boredom!

b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAFl8ZfkSTc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sum84k9kNc
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM
rikybob

Woot!

Got my MCP X main board back today!

With respect to other services available, THIS GUY is GREAT!

If you screw up ANY of the Blade boards and you mail it to him (your stamp) and you didn't completely KILL the board with YOUR repair attempts he'll fix it for 25 bux mailed back to you!

I noticed he replaced the MOSFET and TAIL socket on my rig.

It fly's like a scalded pigeon!!!

Hope some of y'all are getting shum schick time??

b

Last edited by rikybob; 09-18-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:13 PM
ingleburn

Woot!

Got my MCP X main board back today!

With respect to other services available, THIS GUY is GREAT!

If you screw up ANY of the Blade boards and you mail it to him (your stamp) and you didn't completely KILL the board with YOUR repair attempts he'll fix it for 25 bux mailed back to you!

I noticed he replaced the MOSFET and TAIL socket on my rig.

It fly's like a scalded pigeon!!!

Hope some of y'all are getting shum schick time??

b

Yeah all the people that post about that guy have nothing but praise for him. He must have a love of the hobby because he surely couldnt be making much money out of it.

Glad your getting some stick time. Since the mishap with the 450 Ive not really flown. A few bad days of weather then no motivation to go out. Im sure Ill snap out of it sooner or later.

Been looking through the KK and HKpilot forums though. Theres a lot of stuff to get your head around before you even dare to get off the ground.

My LHS is now stocking the DJI F450 frame kits and was thinking about buying one as I thought they would be stronger. Looking through the forums it seems maybe they might not be.

Maybe a PM to jollyswagman might be on the cards. But at $67 it would want to be bullet proof to warrant the cost.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:22 PM
ingleburn

Edmund
Welcome back. Yeah theres nothing worse than returning from a great holiday and trying to get back into the grind.

Brians summary was about spot on with the exception of a few crashes,

Why havent you retired. Looks like you have a lot to look forward to. Would have been great to see a video of your Grandson flying.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
rikybob

Did I tell y'all I don't really "like" Jonesy??

He KNOWS I'm weak.....

Your order details are:1x #9387000026-0/42833 UBLOX LEA-6H GPS Module w/Built-in Antenna 2.5m Accuracy V1.01 = $51.871x #9387000032-0/43766 HKPilot Power Module with XT60 Connectors and 6 Pin 150mm Cable = $17.161x #9387000016/37328 HKPilot Mega V2.5 Flight Controller USB/GYRO/ACC/MAG/BARO = $75.75
Grrrr!

I guess since I already bought the case I needed the rest?

b

Last edited by rikybob; 09-18-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 PM
ingleburn

He KNOWS I'm weak.....

Your order details are:1x #9387000026-0/42833 UBLOX LEA-6H GPS Module w/Built-in Antenna 2.5m Accuracy V1.01 = $51.871x #9387000032-0/43766 HKPilot Power Module with XT60 Connectors and 6 Pin 150mm Cable = $17.161x #9387000016/37328 HKPilot Mega V2.5 Flight Controller USB/GYRO/ACC/MAG/BARO = $75.75
Grrrr!

I guess since I already bought the case I needed the rest?

b

As good an excuse as I have heard.
I must be getting strong in my old age cause I have resisted all urges to buy 500's and quads no matter how much urging from you guys.
Have you seen the stuff these guys sell? http://www.rctimer.com/index.html
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM
mnemennth

I have no pity for you my friend; I waited all week, even built 2 airplanes, and got rained out today. I blame YOU, Brian.

Well, I DID get to maiden KFm Delta Rev2 (Now with 200% more Carbon Fiber!) after smoking the motor on the bench last Wednesday, and even flew it myself for half a pack before the rain got bad enough I was afraid for my TX... but poor JigSaw Cub got NO love at all today.

I have some video; I'll post it tomorrow. I'm already half-past pumpkin time and I have a work order tomorrow.

Don't git any on ya,

mnem
Marshmallows fear me.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 AM
ahamay

He KNOWS I'm weak.....
Might delay my maiden so we can watch Brians flyaway video first
Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 AM
rikybob

Originally Posted by ahamay
Might delay my maiden so we can watch Brians flyaway video first

Last edited by rikybob; 09-19-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 AM
ahamay

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Been looking through the KK and HKpilot forums though. Theres a lot of stuff to get your head around before you even dare to get off the ground.
My LHS is now stocking the DJI F450 frame kits and was thinking about buying one as I thought they would be stronger. Looking through the forums it seems maybe they might not be.
Maybe a PM to jollyswagman might be on the cards. But at $67 it would want to be bullet proof to warrant the cost.
Even though it might seem a bit of a waste going for the KK board over another controller like the APM the KK is such good value for what it is. I've only tweaked a few of the gain settings in the self level mode and the rest of the board is basically stock settings.

The advantage of building a quad with the KK board to start with is you get to really test your motor, esc prop combination and learn about the setup etc. The APM board is a whole new beast and I'm not sure if I would have progressed as fast having gone straight to that, however I'm sure it would be achievable. They say that you should start off flying the APM in stabalise mode (which is a manual mode like the kk) and then progress through the different flight modes like loiter and altitude lock and eventually return to home.

The way I look at it is the quad frame is just the transport for cool ****. I'm not sure I could warrant buying a F450 kit for $70 odd dollars when you can buy the Q450 for 10 bucks (and have 24 arms spare for the same price). I'm sure if you busted an arm on the DJI you would have to buy another frame kit. These things are much easier to fly than a heli but they are not uncrashable (found that out the hard way).
Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 AM
rikybob

+1 !
Old 09-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Rob2160

I fly with THIS fella out at the club.

They just use really, really good ESC's to achieve the same effect rather than negative....

Rained out of the field today

b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65DbTuAVNEQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnT0qKpXJEUYJ_0St6cg6UA
That's really neat, some quick blade reversing happening there....
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Rob2160

Just came across this on YT.. This guy builds some cool stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i145FouxSqA He should market this!.. I'd buy one for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyRJbCx9cU4 Just totally KEWL!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lwOYhUXh2U Edit - one more - couldn't resist this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIEHa3vcCK8

Last edited by Rob2160; 09-19-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.