Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part IV

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 AM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Fiz
Great thanks Brian, very useful tips and info. I have put blenderm tape along the hinge line. I always do, but that hot glue sounds a great idea.

I definitely have the Version 2 of this plane as I had to sand my CF wing spar to fit it in the wing - it was soooo tight it couldn't fit without damaging the wing if I didnt sand it. In fact, I left the CF spar permanently in one wing as basically I can't get it out. Yep, after tons of foamies I alway flex the control surfaces back and forth before attaching the servo linkages.

I've also painted two large vivid red stripes on the underside of the otherwise all white wing. Dumb design for a glider, way up in the clouds, you would not be able to see a slim white wing.

Get this plane Brian, as a lot of the issues you mention have now been remedied. It also flies like a ***** cat. Only thing I'm not sure of is that people are reporting that the CoG is 50mm back, not 40mm as the manual states. I wonder if that's only a V1 issue as well. We will see!!

Cheers,

Phil
Sounds like you have a great handle on it!

Yah, the COG has been an issue.

If you use a 2200 battery the word is 56/57mm is the trick!

Yeppers, I left out the NEEDED red on the bottom of the wing!

Many are flying it so high that they lose sight of it and have left failsafe with a little down elevator and right rudder so if they lose it. They shut off the Tx and let it come back to an equitable height then switch it back on.

I can't see me doing that but a good idea none the less!

Go HERE to see the RCG thread and under thread tools "sort by attachment" will let you see some quick, cool mods with out wasting a lot of time. i.e. paint. Some have painted the entire tail and wing tips which looks like a GREAT idea!

Lemme know how this thing works!

b
Old 03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Flying Fiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maiden report of HobbyKing Fox Glider. Flies great no issues or complaints.

Gliders are subtle things and whilst easy to fly are hard to fly well. quite a different technique to other planes.

Tip, need to give it down elevator when applying throttle, on my second flight I handlaunched at full throttle and it went straight up, more like a rocket than a plane. The attached vid clip starts 10 minutes into my maiden flight and is only about 3 mins long. The Mobius cut the video into two parts.

Our flying field is probably 20 kilometres north of Sydney CBD and the small batch of buildings on the horizon is a place called Chatswood. You may also see Northe Sydney in the far distance, a minor business district on the nth harbour of Sydney harbour.

Most of the flight in this part of the vid was with no throttle, but the wind turns th prop quite a bit and the wind itself plus the prop makes a bit of noise.

Cheers,

Phil

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yEV43dxRKnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

www.youtube.com/embed/yEV43dxRKnM
Old 03-29-2014, 04:08 PM
rikybob

Gliders are subtle things and whilst easy to fly are hard to fly well. quite a different technique to other planes.

Tip, need to give it down elevator when applying throttle, on my second flight I handlaunched at full throttle and it went straight up, more like a rocket than a plane. The attached vid clip starts 10 minutes into my maiden flight and is only about 3 mins long. The Mobius cut the video into two parts.

Our flying field is probably 20 kilometres north of Sydney CBD and the small batch of buildings on the horizon is a place called Chatswood. You may also see Northe Sydney in the far distance, a minor business district on the nth harbour of Sydney harbour.

Most of the flight in this part of the vid was with no throttle, but the wind turns th prop quite a bit and the wind itself plus the prop makes a bit of noise.

Cheers,

Phil

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yEV43dxRKnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great video!

I heard about the tendency re shooting straight up!

The Taranis makes it easy to assign mixes to switches and the "glider heads" have a mix for launch, soaring and landing.

If you'll permit the little tip I learned. Go to the manual section for the Fox on HK and set up the ESC with the brake ON. Now your videos will have no spinning prop when throttle is not applied!

One more thing I've done on fail safe is to put a little down elevator and left rudder in case of LOS.

Why do I see you sending the Fox to its operation limits?

You paint them wing tips red yet?

Thanks to you Phil I got my finger on the button!

Many thanks for sharing!

B
Old 03-29-2014, 06:31 PM
ingleburn

Cheers,

Phil

Great video Phil. Comments posted on youtube but one thing I forgot. You can change the clip size in the software if you want more than 10 minute clips.
Also Im no plane guy but could you put a folding prop on. That way when your gliding it will fold back and not spin.
Brian is busting my balls to try a plank and I may do so one day.
In the meantime got plenty of work to do to get the new quad in the air. Took the quad out today and tried a mission.
All went well apart from one small hiccup but its going to come in handy when I start using the goggles.
Fly a mission and just look through the goggles. Ill get an idea of how it all looks without fear of losing the quad.
Heres the video of the mission today. Only 700 metres and I guess I could do a 2km one easily on a pack.

http://youtu.be/NFjECu-NyhA
Old 03-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Flying Fiz

Originally Posted by rikybob
Great video!

I heard about the tendency re shooting straight up! Yep that's all true

The Taranis makes it easy to assign mixes to switches and the "glider heads" have a mix for launch, soaring and landing. Yes I will definitely be setting up a "glide" switch, as it does it when you are airborne and need a bit more thrust, although you quickly get used to just moving the El stick down a tad

If you'll permit the little tip I learned. Go to the manual section for the Fox on HK and set up the ESC with the brake ON. Now your videos will have no spinning prop when throttle is not applied! I'm not sure that I would want to do this as the prop turning itseld w/out motor aids in forward propulsion. I just might move the Mobius to the wing.

One more thing I've done on fail safe is to put a little down elevator and left rudder in case of LOS. That is a good plan, and I will do so. Also these things can get so high and far away you might just have to resort to those inputs just to het it back into view!

Why do I see you sending the Fox to its operation limits? You know I will!

You paint them wing tips red yet? Yep, two big red stripes about 10 inches across, and another smaller red stripe near the tip, both on the underside, because that's all you ever see. Just as well I did so because there were a few ocassions when that was all I could see!

Thanks to you Phil I got my finger on the button! Simply press downward my friend - its very easy.
Great fun these things, but have an experienced pilot with you for the maiden. The thing is super easy to launch when you know how, 2/3 throttle and it flies out of your hand, you dont need to throw it at all just hold the wings level, and give it slight down El if you give it more than 2/3 throttle.

Many thanks for sharing!

B

Cheers,
Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Flying Fiz

Originally Posted by ingleburn
Great video Phil. Comments posted on youtube but one thing I forgot. You can change the clip size in the software if you want more than 10 minute clips. Thanks for that. However I was sort of glad I could just upload the last three minutes. That took me all weekend to up load, I would be uploading till next weekend if it was a 13 minute clip.
Also Im no plane guy but could you put a folding prop on. That way when your gliding it will fold back and not spin. It actually is a folding prop, but the speed of the wind into it makes it shoot out and spin, and as I said to Brian, this creates forward propulsion, so its good. But like you said on YT, I'll move the Mobius to the wing.
Brian is busting my balls to try a plank and I may do so one day. Go on do it ....come over to the light side Noel!
In the meantime got plenty of work to do to get the new quad in the air. Took the quad out today and tried a mission.
All went well apart from one small hiccup but its going to come in handy when I start using the goggles.
Fly a mission and just look through the goggles. Ill get an idea of how it all looks without fear of losing the quad.
Heres the video of the mission today. Only 700 metres and I guess I could do a 2km one easily on a pack. Nice quad flying, although some random jumps in the air, what causes that? Man I recon the flying via the goggles sounds real easy in theory, but I think you could get into serious trouble fast! It would be a complete hoot however and good luck with it.

http://youtu.be/NFjECu-NyhA
Cheers,

Phil
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 AM
ingleburn

Cheers, Great video Phil. Comments posted on youtube but one thing I forgot. You can change the clip size in the software if you want more than 10 minute clips. Thanks for that. However I was sort of glad I could just upload the last three minutes. That took me all weekend to up load, I would be uploading till next weekend if it was a 13 minute clip.
Also Im no plane guy but could you put a folding prop on. That way when your gliding it will fold back and not spin. It actually is a folding prop, but the speed of the wind into it makes it shoot out and spin, and as I said to Brian, this creates forward propulsion, so its good. But like you said on YT, I'll move the Mobius to the wing.
Brian is busting my balls to try a plank and I may do so one day. Go on do it ....come over to the light side Noel!
Heres the video of the mission today. Only 700 metres and I guess I could do a 2km one easily on a pack. Nice quad flying, although some random jumps in the air, what causes that? Man I recon the flying via the goggles sounds real easy in theory, but I think you could get into serious trouble fast! It would be a complete hoot however and good luck with it.

Phil
The random jumps are just the quad reaching a waypoint and turning towards the next one.
Received my Taranis today and it is one nice radio.
Already pulled it apart to change the throttle hold switch to the other side. It was a lot easier than it was with the 9XR. No soldering, just plugs
Old 03-31-2014, 02:35 PM
rikybob

THESE are in stock!

Woot!

b
Old 04-01-2014, 03:06 AM
rikybob

Damn, you Phil,

Danm you.

b
Old 04-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Flying Fiz

Damn, you Phil,

Danm you.

b
Only 4 left in US warehouse Brian. You need to jump on one...he who hesitates is lost or more relevantly here......he who hesitates will never fly a glider.

Just press down with the index finger Brian, click easy, very easy

Damn me about what Brian?
Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
rikybob

Only 4 left in US warehouse Brian. You need to jump on one...he who hesitates is lost or more relevantly here......he who hesitates will never fly a glider.

Just press down with the index finger Brian, click easy, very easy

Damn me about what Brian?
There is four left because I was number 5!

It's in route.

Nice part about this particular powered glider is that I can get parts for it.

Other gliders that are oh, lets say less buggy (and not quite as big) there are no parts for.

It will be here in a few days and I will do mods as necessary!

We have a HIGH pressure system keeping our Wx BEAUTIFUL and I hope to fly just before sunset today for the 1st time since the music fest!

All the best!

b
Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Flying Fiz

I thought you might have been number 5.

Its a great plane and you wont regret it. Yep do all the mods. Spray painting stripes being as important as any. When attaching the elevator control horn, follow this sequence;
1 attach horn to elevator.
2 cut away some foam in the chanel where the control rod attaches to the horn to stop it catching.
3.Pull the control rod all the way out the back of the plane (about 12 inches) to work with the z bend and attach to control horn. Ensure bend is finishing away from foam ie into the centre of the chanel in which control horn moves
4 Open the holes in the horizonal stabilizer to make it easier to get the fastening screws that come from under the body of the plane through the HS and into the black plastic with the inbuilt threads. You will know you have done it correctly when you see the top of the bolts emerge.

The rest of the build was like falling of a log.

Enjoy!

phil
Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
rikybob

I thought you might have been number 5.

Its a great plane and you wont regret it. Yep do all the mods. Spray painting stripes being as important as any. When attaching the elevator control horn, follow this sequence;
1 attach horn to elevator.
2 cut away some foam in the chanel where the control rod attaches to the horn to stop it catching.
3.Pull the control rod all the way out the back of the plane (about 12 inches) to work with the z bend and attach to control horn. Ensure bend is finishing away from foam ie into the centre of the chanel in which control horn moves
4 Open the holes in the horizonal stabilizer to make it easier to get the fastening screws that come from under the body of the plane through the HS and into the black plastic with the inbuilt threads. You will know you have done it correctly when you see the top of the bolts emerge.

The rest of the build was like falling of a log.

Enjoy!

phil

Copied!

What kind of paint did you use and what color?

Also is the tail rudder in the tail or in the fuse?

All the best!

b
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM
mnemennth

Wooohhh. And only $175 shipped... but... ummm... aside from being a little bigger (I know, it's about a foot longer wingspan, but with gliders, that really isn't a huge jump) what's it got over the Radian, which can often be had with free shipping for $159.00 PNF? It's widely regarded as one of the most well-mannered gliders of any sort ever designed, with a great balance of handling and more than ample power.

Don't get me wrong... if it were bright yellow, I might be regretting my recent Spider FPV indiscretion... but... seriously. What am I missing out on?

mnem
*Zoom-Zoom*
Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Wooohhh. And only $175 shipped... but... ummm... aside from being a little bigger (I know, it's about a foot longer wingspan, but with gliders, that really isn't a huge jump) what's it got over the Radian, which can often be had with free shipping for $159.00 PNF? It's widely regarded as one of the most well-mannered gliders of any sort ever designed, with a great balance of handling and more than ample power.

Don't get me wrong... if it were bright yellow, I might be regretting my recent Spider FPV indiscretion... but... seriously. What am I missing out on?

mnem
*Zoom-Zoom*
A foot is HUGE! You are getting a glider up nearly a mile and one needs to see same!

The Radian does not look scale (cool) in comparison. The Fox has a DUDE!

I don't want a tried and true sailing platform. I want my BIG HONKING sailplane to be like a damaged girlfriend. A fixer upper!

What'd we say today. The build (re engineering) is almost as fun as flying!

b

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox glider.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1983305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parkzone Radian.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	1983306  
Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 PM
mnemennth

Ummm... yeah. NOT happening with my old eyes... not unless I get telescope-laservision ocular surgery...

Clearly, this is a glider-people thing. And I know from Fixer-Upper... I have a Dynam Peaks.

Oh yeah... and that dude in your Fox... he's a bit creepy. I'd be watching out when you take it to the park near little kids; you're gonna turn your back on him, and next thing you know a little "FREE CANDY!!! WANNA RIDE IN MY AIRPLANE?" sign pops out...

mnem
*Tore up from the floor up*

Last edited by mnemennth; 04-01-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 PM
ingleburn

Originally Posted by mnemennth

mnem
*Zoom-Zoom*
Ok Spiros settle down. Have you actually flown either one. Its misguided advice like this that confuses people.

Much like the stuff your posting on the APM forums. How anyone with no practical flying experience can profess to be an expert and tell others what is best for them makes me angry.

I just hope that noone crashes a quad or hurts someone trying your mods.

And what are you missing out on? Go and fly for gods sake. Or go back to DIYDRONES where the di cks there dont know any better.

Ok rant over, I feel much better now
Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 AM
rikybob

Hiya Beeeaaaaacccches!

Got to fly yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5WdLVr9S2k&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5rv054bEE&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNHWaesc8Y&feature=youtu.be
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 AM
mnemennth

ingleburn - With all due respect... it wasn't ADVICE. It was an HONEST question, and I thought I clearly phrased it as such.

And calling me Spiros... that was REALLY egregious. I at least back up my tech with actual TECH.

As for my work on the APM thread, I've been ENTIRELY up front with the fact that this work is in BETA, which means it needs TESTING. I have repeatedly and SPECIFICALLY asked for folks with BETTER KNOWLEDGE OF QUADS THAN I to try it and tell us whether it works. Most of my quad experience is with toys and pure ACRO designs; Autonomous Flight Mode Flight Controllers are NEW TO ME. However, this doesn't make me an id10t ; it just makes me inexperienced. What I AM EXPERIENCED IN is Circuit Research &Design, Deployment and Troubleshooting & Revision. Clearly, from the number of APMs dying this way out there, the original design DOES NOT hold up in the real world. Even the folks who designed the stupid thing support this experiment; I'd think you could see the value?

This is what Engineers call "The role of failure in design." You design something, you test it as best you know how, but in the end it isn't until the product is in the hands of the end-user that you get to see where "The proof is in the pudding"; then it's up to folks who understand electronics to try and figure out a fix.

So with all due respect (and honestly, I have a lot of respect for you from what I've seen in this thread; I REALLY do) : Lick me.

I'm a VERY fast learner; and when I learn technology, I start from the electrons up. This give me a pretty thorough understanding. I freely admit I'm not much of a pilot; and this has much less to do with lack of flying (I actually fly quite a bit, when and wherever I am able; when I'm NOT able to fly, I practice on the Sim) than the fact of being thumb-twiddle defective, which I have ALWAYS been. There's a BIG difference between being able to see with your fingertips and twirl wrenches on the back side of a motor (which I am VERY adept at), and having the kind of fine motor hand-eye coordination required for even the mildest aerobatic flight. It may be that my ability to twirl wrenches works AGAINST being able to thumb-twiddle; I've though about that possibility quite a bit.

Thank you for your contributions here; I REALLY am sorry if I've offended you. It was never my intent. Well, maybe a little retaliation with that "Lick me" comment... but I think that's pretty mild... and I'm rambling now, so I really think I'd better be going before Perry the Platypus has to come in here and "Put an end to it".

mnem
Curse you, GRAVITA-A-AY!

Last edited by mnemennth; 04-02-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 AM
mnemennth

Default New Quad offering from HobbyKing

On a slightly less confrontational note, I just received a link to this in my eMail:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...utm_source=EDM

I like the looks; definitely a head-turner. And I see they're not above using the Mobius as a product hook. But I really think it may prove to be more style than substance; looks like it'll be expensive to fix if anything other than the towel-bars or CF tube feet get smashed in a crash. At $45 a copy, I suppose one could afford to get two kits to have spares... until they start stocking frame parts, which they may or may not ever do.

Hmmm... they do have it on The Swarm though, for $41.78... times 3 that's $125.35... with shipping is $157.16

Maybe, when I get my Tax refund; by then I'll probably have smashed my Spider FPV beyond salvaging and be looking for a new frame.

mnem
*Back to Work*

Name:	42504.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1983428  
Old 04-02-2014, 01:50 PM
rikybob

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
rikybob

Look eeennntoooo my eyez!

Sexy ain't it?

Name:	Bizarre.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1983553   Click image for larger version

Name:	fox_epo_glider_fms_ac2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1983554  

Last edited by rikybob; 04-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 PM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

Look eeennntoooo my eyez!

Sexy ain't it?

I would drug test him before I let him into the air, He looks like some of the electricians we hired on the last job... way past geekin'
Old 04-02-2014, 04:12 PM
rikybob

Originally Posted by pushinoldrc
I would drug test him before I let him into the air, He looks like some of the electricians we hired on the last job... way past geekin'

Does look like a "Tweeker" don't he?

How the hell you been bro?

b

Last edited by rikybob; 04-02-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Flying Fiz

Hi Guys,

Brian, first the good news, if like me, you get the V2 model you get a pilot that looks like George Clooney after sex, very cool and laid back! Not at all scary like the V1 pilot who looks like he is about to fly into a Jumbo jet, and he has arms as well and looks like he is trying to fly the thing.

I thought about buying the Radian (not the Radian Pro as it's a dud) but it is way more expensive in Australia ($195) whereas the Fox glider was about $160 delivered in Sydney. The Fox in the US warehouse is only $114.

Also I'm not a fan of the big upturned wings of the Radian. And the fox is a replica of the real deal, the radian I dont believe is, but I may be wrong. In any event the Fox looks way more scale and I like that.

But most relevantly is what happened when I maidened my Fox. A mate I usually fly with on Saturdays suggested he also launch his at the same time, he has the Radian. Mine climbed faster and higher and when we were up there mine was catching what thermals there were way more effectively than his Radian. Mine was shooting up whereas his was going up markedly slower on the smae thermal the Fox was easier to see and my flight was waaay longer than his, 13 minutes versus 10 mins, and I'm a noob when it comes to glider flying.. Next to each other on the ground mine was way bigger. 2 metres -V- 2.3 metres is a big difference. I was happy with mine, end of story!

Brian in answer to your question, I was talking about cutting away a small bit of foam for the El servo horn. My rudder servo is in the vertical stabilizer with a short rod to the rudder and works fine, it works really well in fact.

I have to go to China next week (some matters need sorting out) so will be off line for a while.

Brian I don't recall what colour it was just a very bright red.

Best to all

Phil

Last edited by Flying Fiz; 04-02-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.