Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
HeliSmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

I didn't have good luck running my battery on the lower tray. I know the 4S guys do it so they can still fit their canopy though so I guess it must work. Then again my heli is nose heavy and I don't even feel it inverted now as compared to when I first started.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
flyachopper1

You're probably right about the battery placement. For now all that stuff is kinda just stuck on there. I have always mounted the battery on the upper tray and the rx on the lower tray. My CG was perfect that way and I'll likely go back to that.

My sister just called and invited me over for dinner (Oh-yeah-a free meal) so I'm outta here for now.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
HeliSmith

lol thas funny my wife is also out of town so I made the biggest onionest, garlicest, hamburger you ever seen!

I tried the Radix blades on the 450SE V2 running my Scorpion -6 V2 motor and it kind of scared me. So I put a 10T on tonight hopefully I am not addicted to being scared I kind of have that empty feeling in my stomach. I am betting this thing is going to have just the right amount of headspeed now with loads of torque. Might even pickup 30 seconds more and get into the 4 minute zone on it. lol Hopefully I get a chance to try it tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 PM
flyachopper1

Hey thar head spinners,
MMMMMM-that oniony, garlicky burger sounds good. Think I'll fire up the grill and try to create one of those tonight. Don't have to worry about the breath with the lady gone, eh?

I've heard some good things about those scorpion motors. Do you like them? Are they durable? I've kinda been stuck on the Align motors as I bought four of them all at once and they don't seem to wear out very fast. I would like to add some torque and zip to the T Rex later. You've convinced me to wait awhile on the Radix blades though. I have two sets of the Align Pro woodies and one set of Align CF blades on hand and I think I'll use them up first.

I have the new stainless landing skid tubes made up and weighed them. They weigh in at just 2.5 grams more than the factory aluminum. I don't think they'll make much difference and will be a lot stronger. I could be making a mistake here though. It could be that they will be so stiff as to not give enough to absorb shock energy and cause frame damage. I guess I'll know on the first hard landing. Maybe combining them with the new shock absorbing skid struts will work out ok.

You guys taught me something a few posts back. I never thought about coating the CF frame with CA. Seems like that will add some strength and I'm going to do that this time. I need to do a little sanding to fit the Hitek HS-65-MG servos and will coat the frame first.

The doc told me today that he would rather I wait at least another week before I take the "big bird" up again. Went out today and got the required periodic maintenance done and got her inspected so the FAA is happy. Can't take her up though until the doc signs off. That's good though. I still feel a little "off" and really should wait awhile. No room for errors when flying the big ones.

Time to fire up the grill and build that big ol' greasy burger.

JD-still got steaks in freezer.

Keep your feet apart, antennas up, maintain your stance and space between you and the enemy ground.
A bad landing can put a dent in your day

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99972.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	913370  
Old 03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
consultjdm

Jay (flyachopper),

I use the Align bump resistant landing gear. I really like them.

good to hear your almost back in the air with the big bird.

I like my steak rare, just so ya know. LOL. I think we're all kinda jealous of that nice work area we saw in the pictures. sure beats my kitchen counter, LOL.

JD
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM
cajungirl

Howdy hi y'all,
I'm in good ol' Okie City workin'. Jay, I miss ya.
It's nice to have a place to go like this where I kinda feel like I'm close to good friends.
I'm real sorry I missed Paula's chicken dinner though. It is true that she makes the best chicken in the galaxy.
Got done early at work today so I volunteered to help the phys. therapist here teaching disabled kids how to run their electric wheelchairs. What a blast. Those kids have a million things to be sad about and they aren't. They're some of the happiest people I've ever met. It was fun watching them bang into things with those chairs kinda like we do with the helis. Matter of fact, the learnin' Ive been doing on the sticks for the helis helped me to show them how to run the joysticks on their chairs. I even got into one of the chairs to show off a bit and promptly knocked over a table . Jay-one little guy told me he wanted me to be his girlfriend. I told him that there was a bigger Irishman that maybe wouldn't like that. He grinned at me and said he'd wrassle ya and the winner gets me. I told him that I didn't want him to hurt you. I kissed him on the cheek and I thought he was gonna faint. When I compared running the chairs to helicopters they all got wide eyed and I was hit with a hundred questions about the helis. I think I bumbled my way through the answers ok but once I've learned more I'm gonna look real smart to the kids. It seems to me lately that there are a lot of folks that are fascinated by the little helis and if they know your involved there is a lot of "wow" factor.

When y'all talk about CF or carbon fiber do ya mean the stuff that looks like webbing coated with shiny stuff? Just tryin' to remember my lessons here. I have lotsa dumb questions but I gotta get off here now and do the days reports and then eat.

Be happy hoverin'

Donica
Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
HeliSmith

Jay yes I do like the Scorpion motors. I flew the 450 -6 bird with the 10T today and it was much more relaxing then before. Bumped my pitch back to maxed out and it is perfect for me not all punchy like before. I have the -8 on an RC-TEK Sky Shark which is pretty much a Trex 450 with some subtle changes and it flies great too. If I had to replace the -6 I would probably just get a second -8 to be honest.

I am with you on the work area JD I work on the dining room table.

Donica you tell a story really well the little guy might just beat Jay right now though so we better let him heal first.. Yes Carbon Fiber CF is the material you described.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 PM
flyachopper1

Hey wind riders,
Jd-That's the same bump resistant struts I have. I got the metallic blue ones. They're gonna look good with all the blue metal goodies.

For years I was building helis on my dining room table, a card table and even on a small bench in a garage. When I began looking for a new place I insisted on a second bedroom. At first it was to be my home office for business. There's a big computer desk in there but since I have gotten rid of the desktop computer and gone with laptops and Donica has gotten me going with the wireless internet setups I don't use the desk much. It's more or less just an oversized file cabinet now. I pushed it back in a corner and my brother offered to give me that old metal office desk. I put that in there and turned it into a workbench for the helis. The top on it is nearly indestructible and makes a great working surface.

Rare is the only way to have a steak. I know how to cook them that way, so, rare it is.

Donica-Yes, the stuff that looks like coated webbing is carbon fiber (CF). It's a material that is stronger and lighter than steel. Another benefit from the big brains at NASA. It's used extensively in space vehicles and other aircraft. There is a lot of it in the components on my big heli. The main rotor blades on that are carbon fiber too. It's becoming popular in auto racing and motorcycles too. Your doing good at remembering things and none of your questions are stupid to me.

I am proud to hear that you are applying some of the knowledge you're gaining on the helis to other areas like the wheelchairs. Proves that this is an honorable area of expertise and not just a way to play. I wish I could have been there to see you knock over the table. Yeah there is a lot folks out there that are fascinated with the r/c helis but few are courageous enough to try them. Many who do try give up due to the time and effort it takes. The wow factor is high even with those that are doing it.

Helismith-Thanks for the info on the motors. I have noticed that some who are stepping up to the T Rex 500 are saying good things about the Scorpions. I'm going to browse a bit tonight and just may order one to play with.

You guys make me feel good about the work bench. I have thought at times I had gone too much to the extreme. Big brained head shrinkers call it "anal retentive". I don't care much for that term. Sounds like someone that only visits the toilet once a month or so. I prefer to call it "neatnick". I'm the same way with the space for my big heli too and always considered that being safe and staying alive.

May your flights be long and invogorating and your landings be short and gentle.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 PM
HeliSmith

Cool Jay I think you will be happy. I am running Scorpion -8 V2 w/13T @90% flat with woodies and 100% flat with CF blades. I don't fly normal mode as you can probably guess. Heck I don't even click into normal to land I just thold from 2' off the deck and do a mini auto. The woodies do flutter scary bad at 100% on 13T and they are being pushed hard at 90%.

Regarding a CF boom for the Raptor G2. A while back JD asked me to recommend a tail for his Walkera 60 which I thought a Trex tail would work. He said the Trex size tail was too big for the boom. But then Chophop replied to my question of a CF boom with this. I missed his reply until now:

ORIGINAL: Chophop

The MX400 boom has the same fitting as the 36's, and they both use the 371t belt, so my guess is the MX450 CF tube and belt will fit for an extended boom. I also think the Trex 450 boom is the same.

CH
Although Chophop is one smart cookie I am not sure I think this is correct. I do know for a fact my friend is running a Trex tail on his MX450 I think the 450 boom is 14mm diameter and the Raptor G2 is 12mm so make sure you measure first.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
corona007

Hey, If anybody is free tomorrow I will be at whittier narrows field around 10:00 ish am. Im taking the SA, Lepton EX, and a fomie. I'm taking my cam just in case I run into someone that could take video. I really need to do a video......
Lou.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 AM
HeliSmith

Wish I could I can't go on a weekday. I noticed you are about 73 miles from where we fly you should come out when we have our FunFly looks like 5th or 6th of April maybe. You can see our little field on my webpage http://www.helismith.com it is city owned a wash just like Apollo field but no bathrooms. lol
Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM
consultjdm

Yeah I have a couple sets of those blue metalic ones. they look great and work great. I landed really hard once (once, LOL) and the carbon frame cracked but the skids held up perfectly, LOL. they are indistructable. I apoxyied the frame and it has been fine. It was just the lower portion that cracked that held the landing gear and the bottom plate.

JD
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
consultjdm

Helismith,

I've visited your web page and the SCV club site. I couldn't find directions to the flying field. Could you make a link to driving directions on your web page or add them to it? I need to print them out so I have them.

I grew up in Whittier. I guess that must be close to whittier narrows. I kinda forget where Whittier Narrows is. But I know it is somewhere around there. I wish I was off during the week to go heli flying!! My last house in whittier backed into the intersection at Leffingwell and Lambert.

JD
Old 03-26-2008, 01:10 PM
flyachopper1

Hey you monocoated, modified, motorized, miracle flying maniacs,
Kinda did a little backing up on the rebuild today. Pulled everything back off the frame to do the CA coating. It's sitting there drying now. I'm glad it's a nice enough day to open some windows or I'd probably be buzzing. Those fumes can be thick. Probably a good thing Donica isn't here right now. The whole house smells. I'm gonna go do my running around shortly and give the place time to air out.

Helismith-Where do you get your Scorpion motors?

I've been trying to come up with a design for a main rotor test stand set up. Something I can mount them in just as they would be on a heli and spin them up to test for balance, bent shafts, etc. So if any of you have maybe a used or damaged mainframe you would be willing to sell. I think all I need to end up with is the center section where the motor and mainshaft mount. From that I can build some sort of mounting for it that I can clamp to the bench. I have a power supply with a speed control on it that I can power it with. I'm thinking this would be handy to test rotor heads without needing to install them in a heli and test them there. That would save a lot of time and effort and maybe some irritating damage. If I get a design that works I'll gladly post it for anyone who would like to build one.

Donica--You'll be happy to know that I bought three pints of "hot pink" paint today[:@]. When you get back We can start planning your paint scheme and I'll teach you how to operate the airbrush.

Hang around guys. This could be real interesting.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
FlyingHigh 400
My Feedback: (21)

I dont think I posted pics of my XL so here they are.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43031.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	914272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96392.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	914273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47622.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	914274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23679.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	914275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69259.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	914276  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM
HeliSmith

Jay,

I would just get it directly from Innovative then you know for sure if you have any problems you can just take it up with them. Not that I expect you to have problems.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...0fcb3e0f8d158b

Also if you want a -8 V1.5, this is the earlier version without a fan, you can email [email protected] and pick one up for 35 bucks I think is what he said.

JD,

We have decided not to publicly list the directions via www because of what happened with SCHC doing that. Go down Soledad from your house toward the 14. You will pass Sierra Hwy then on your left you will just pass Canyon Country Park maybe 200 feet there will be a small road on your right going under the 14. This is the bike trail access. Drive straight across the bike trail onto the dirt road that dips down and then veer right. You will see the huge grass field.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
HeliSmith

Flyinghigh your heli looks nice but I would lose orientation with that scheme in a heart beat.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:53 PM
flyachopper1

Thanks for the info Helismith--

Now, before I get "spanked" on safety here like I did on another forum I need to clarify my post about a test set up for spinning rotor heads. I don't intend on spinning them with the blades installed, nor the flybar. I guess I didn't say that right. Just want to spin rotor heads without blades. I am very aware of the danger of spinning up on the bench. When I was "fresh" at this I did just that once years ago by trying to hold the heli by the skids to the bench. The heli tipped and I sport a two inch scar on my left wrist from it. And, I later learned the hard way about the harmonics created by spinning up a clamped down heli. I thought I was being real smart and built a boxlike cage out of hail screen that enclosed the entire heli. I spun up one of the nitros inside that and it literally shook the rotor head assy to pieces. This was all long before there were internet forums and I was on my own out here with helis as I was the only one even trying to fly them here. The cage worked though. I had pieces flying all over inside it and none got out. I always locate the cg and static balance blades right out of the package and after each flight. It was suggested on the other forum that I use a drill to spin shafts. The drill method is not very reliable. Very few drills have a precise enough chuck to depend on them to check for shaft straightness. I also use a flat surface (I have a slab of polished marble) to roll them on. It was just a thought and I'll probably build something to try. This method would allow for using a dial indicator to check straightness. If your going to use a drill I suggest using a dial indicator to check the trueness of the chuck first. I appreciate that you all think of safety though. There can never be enough of that. I first got this idea when I had the mainshaft tested on my big bird. Took it to a certified shop in Troy, N.Y. They had a full sized set up with bearings and all in it that they mount the mainshafts in. They spin them and use digital dial indicators and lasers to check the shaft for straightness. They then mount all the hardware of the rotor head without the main blades and spin it again to determine if all that is balanced. However, when I say spin I don't mean high speed. Just enough to show any harmonics that may be caused by an imbalance. That is where the speed control comes in. Hey if it doesn't work then "oh well". Not the first idea I've had that didn't work.

Donica (cajungirl) e mailed me today and said to tell everyone "hi y'all". She won't be on here today or tonight as she worked all day and they had a gang thing go on there today so she is staying tonight to help out in the ER. Said she'll probably be there most of the night. I worry about her a lot when she has to deal with those kind of things, but I love and admire her for her dedication.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 AM
corona007

Flyachopper1,
Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 AM
flyachopper1

I've been talked out of the idea for a test stand. It makes sense to just check them the simpler ways. Somewhere in my boxes of "stuff" I have an older version of a tru spin. I'll dig that out and use it to balance shafts with the head assy and flybar on them.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 AM
corona007

Flyachopper1,
I usually put the main shaft through the bearings in the frame and spin it with my thumb WITHOUT the gear or the head. You would be surprized what you see. I have actually eye balled them this way and then checked them on the old surface plate with an indicator, And wadda ya know! Call me hawk eye LOL. works try it.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 AM
corona007

I like the colors, But isnt that hard to see when you get some trees behind it?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 AM
FlyingHigh 400

ORIGINAL: corona007

I like the colors, But isnt that hard to see when you get some trees behind it?
The paint is house of kolor candy purple.Its verry easy to see cause it pretty bright but the pics are from my cam phone so they look kinda crappy[].
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 AM
FlyingHigh 400

ORIGINAL: HeliSmith

Flyinghigh your heli looks nice but I would lose orientation with that scheme in a heart beat.
I can see it better now than when the yellow body was on it..
Old 03-27-2008, 01:32 AM
HeliSmith

Someone sells heli stands that rotate you can strap your heli to for testing I saw somewhere. I clamp mine to a heavy coffee table and then run a bungi cord through the center of the heli in case the skid screw let go so I have time to hit throttle hold. I spin it up with no pitch and I stand way the heck back with something between me and the height of the blades just in case. Helicopters are extremely dangerous to be around when the spin up clamped to a bench or not. I agree to be safe and you should choose your own level as long as you are an adult and you are not subjecting others.

Edit:
Yes I realize if the screws in the skids let go the heli is toast. The bungi cord is to keep the crash confined for a second.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.