Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:32 AM
AlM9SlDEWlNDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official T-rex 450 XL SE Thread

I bought the xcopter rotor head from the chinese company and it came within one or two weeks, but closer to one week. The shipping wasn't bad at all. I would say just go with the chinese company. It is still cheaper than the align metal head even with the shipping and all.
Aim
Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
armycopter

Had my "maiden" outdoor flight today. It finally made it to 45'F so I got a quick flight in after work. So far VERY pleased! I only flew for about 6 minutes before I landed and checked everything over. Didn't find anything wrong but I wanted to be sure. What a difference. I haven't flown outside since December, and that was with my old Walkera. I need to adjust my trims a little more but it sure surprised me with the power available and the super tight tail. My tail doesn't move at all, even with high and lower power changes. What a difference from the Walkera Gyro! I just wish I was a better pilot! Tail in hovering is fun, but I'm starting to remember how scary it can get when that nose starts to come around...
Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 PM
EDWARDN

ORIGINAL: BillB

Warrior123, Your T-Rex will always lean to the right. That's because the tail rotor is pushing to the left and the push is below the rotor disk.

BillB
Hey Bill.
So is this OK when T-rex 450 lean to the right or how to correct it?
Thanks a lot
Edward
Old 03-13-2007, 07:55 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

No way to correct for lean, it is normal.

After 2 months, I had my first crash tonight. Was doing circles in forward flight and rolled too much when it came around. Bent the feathering spindle and main shaft. Good thing parts are cheap, no wonder they come multiple pieces in a package.

R/C Foolish
Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM
corona007

I have the SA and SE neighther one leans in a hover, Unless im banking a turn........?????
Old 03-13-2007, 09:01 PM
soneebee

Mark with all the good parts on you heli.. am sure it will he holding up really well... no more drifting...

ORIGINAL: armycopter

Had my "maiden" outdoor flight today. It finally made it to 45'F so I got a quick flight in after work. So far VERY pleased! I only flew for about 6 minutes before I landed and checked everything over. Didn't find anything wrong but I wanted to be sure. What a difference. I haven't flown outside since December, and that was with my old Walkera. I need to adjust my trims a little more but it sure surprised me with the power available and the super tight tail. My tail doesn't move at all, even with high and lower power changes. What a difference from the Walkera Gyro! I just wish I was a better pilot! Tail in hovering is fun, but I'm starting to remember how scary it can get when that nose starts to come around...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
consultjdm

non of mine lean either
JD
maybe some have the slightes lean to the left. But not the Trex or Logo or most of them. I think I have one Shogun with a little lean.
ORIGINAL: corona007

I have the SA and SE neighther one leans in a hover, Unless im banking a turn........?????
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 PM
EDWARDN

I search everywhere and it is controvertial-some gurus sad it is normal reaction for rotation compencation, some says it should be straight. I am confuse honestly. I checked my chopper everything-put on flat board measured all angles, parallels etc. everything looks perfect. She doesn't lean a lot and all the time, but some times does littel bit.
Edward
Old 03-13-2007, 11:34 PM
corona007

If any of my birds would would lean anyway I dont think it would bother me since I like to fly around and see the manuvers I can pull off. About the only time I hover is when im coming in for a landing or very high in the air hovering. But I got to admit I get a kick out of hovering sideways beside me 3-6 feet away at eye level and hear the blades barking while it sits there. or nose in is always fun too!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 AM
soneebee

what does lean mean? is it the heli is not straight?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 AM
corona007

I guess it would be not parallel to the ground.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 AM
soneebee

thats strange.. for the TREX heli the framework usually is straight... body usually is perpendicular to the ground...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:21 AM
ct420

Every RC heli I've ever seen leans at least a tiny bit in a hover. It is much harder to detect on the larger ones. Something small like a BCP is very noticeable, especially tail-in.

I don't see how it could be possible for it not to lean. If it didn't, it would be blown sideways by the tail rotor. 'Leaning' the main rotor to compensate for this is the only recourse possible, isn't it??

I have 4 mini electric helis, and they all lean a bit when hovering. It appears to be more pronounced closer to the ground, but I'm not sure if it's just because it's easier to see in relation to the ground...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 AM
krisnz

what do you think of my alloy skids, i didn't like how skinny the factory ones were,
and thats NZ dollars not US
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...809823&ed=true
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM
EDWARDN

ORIGINAL: soneebee

thats strange.. for the TREX heli the framework usually is straight... body usually is perpendicular to the ground...
It is correct-I can't say for all T-rex, but for sure on mine everything is perfectly straight and when it stays on the static position on set up board, everything-horizontal and vertical as it should be (I have enough tooling to measure everything I want to on any RC model).
She is lean when she hovering over the point, little bit, may be 1-1.5 degrees, but ones it start moving around she goes straight.
Theoreticaly it makes sence why it is leaning-point of force where tail rotor apply to the tial is about 100 mm lover then main rotor blades plane and it is a lot lever and it can ctreat that reaction, practicly-well, I can see it on mine, on other chopers didn't pay attention yet, but will for now till figure out what it is.

Edward
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 PM
armycopter

Wow, second flight and I'm equally impressed! Had a good flight tonight in some pretty strong wind gusts. I don't fly in idle up so when the wind gets under those blades, it climbs pretty quick. Had a couple of scary moments, but luckily it all ended well. I decided to strap my training gear on since it's been so long since I've flown outdoors. With all the winter "indoor testing," I need to get my skills back up to speed. I've flown a little FMS, but that doesn't really help too much (IMHO). I really like the T-Rex. When I first got it, I wasn't so sure, but after throwing a lot of money at it, I think it's great. Thanks goes out to everyone for all the recommendations on servo's, gyro's, ESC's, etc over the winter... It was definitely worth it!! I'm also amazed at how cool all my components stay. After an 8 minute flight today, all my electronics were barely warm. Granted, it's 55 degrees outside, but they didn't build much heat at all. I felt the battery, esc, and motor seconds after landing. I can't wait to get this out to a park where I can do some circuits!!!

PLEASE NO MORE SNOW, PLEASE NO MORE SNOW, PLEASE NO MORE SNOW!

-Mark

ORIGINAL: soneebee

Mark with all the good parts on you heli.. am sure it will he holding up really well... no more drifting...

Old 03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
armycopter

By the way... my heli does lean very slightly. I fly full size heli's and they lean as well. Just my $.02!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
AeroDave

congrats, Armycopter! Mine won't be far behind!

guys,
I'd like to put the 13 tooth pinion on mine before I even start building it. I think the 403 comes stock with the 11...So how do I change it?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
AeroDave

boy, am I the dork of the year! I actually LOOKED at my motor and there's no pinion on it. Its packaged with the main gear! *sigh*
Old 03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
consultjdm

Okay, very slightly maybe.
like maybe 2 to 5 degrees?
JD

By the way... my heli does lean very slightly. I fly full size heli's and they lean as well. Just my $.02!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM
consultjdm

Armycopter,

About how much money do you thing you have in The trex includeing batteries and charger?
And then how much for TX and RX.

JD
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 PM
jtalvy

I am assembling a TREX that I bought last feb.... long story....

Q1: I bought the Medusa Research ext BEC (MR-BEC-35020-6) but for the life of me dont know why I would need it (and bought it) if the ALIGN ESC has one... and if I do need it.... what do I do with both plugs? I would assume the ESC goes in my throttle pt on the reciever and the medusa in a spare?

Q2: I am going to use the 13 tooth pinion on the motor... but cant tell anything from the instructions on how far down to mount it.... do I just make the pinion flush with the top of the shaft?

Also... I heard mention of build videos but cant find them.... can someone point me in the direction?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
consultjdm

you shouldn't need the BEC with a 3 cell lipo. Its when you use too high a Cell battery that you need a UBec or Bec with the ESC.

Which Trex do you have? Trextuning.com has instructions for a 450XL.
But I don't think there is a video on that site.

I just set the pinion to just go below the main gear a couple milimeters.

JD
Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 PM
consultjdm

Edwardn,

It sounds like yours and mine are the same. Generally straight. maybe some little lean if a degree or so. But not all the time, I think it might have to do with the wind at the time.

JD
Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 PM
robmoney

Put the BEC on if you have it.

The ESC WILL run cooler taking the BEC work load out of it's job.

I run the monster JGF 500TH motor, 35G Align esc, and Medusa 6v 2amp bec.

Hard 3D moves, 6 minutes and the only thing even warm is the battery.

Esc before adding the bec was hot.... in the same setup... same flight time.... servos seemed a bit more responsive on the 6volts....

I won't build another heli without the bec, especially in the 100 degree Texas summer...

As far as pinions, even you newbies, run the 13T with the 430L it gives h.s. about 3K and makes a much more stable flyer and more responsive when you want it to be...

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.