Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Choosing Servos for the T-Rex >

Choosing Servos for the T-Rex

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Choosing Servos for the T-Rex

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing Servos for the T-Rex

I'm planning on setting up a T-Rex 450 XL eCCPM with the Spektrum DX-6 (haven't purchased anything yet). Are the S75 servos that comes with the DX-6 fine for beginner/intermediate flying with the T-Rex or should I get a separate set of servos? I was thinking about the HS-55s or HS-56s x3, and the HS-50 for the tail. Any suggestions? How do the HS-56s compare to the S75s or even the HS-55s?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:20 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Choosing Servos for the T-Rex

save the s75's for a parkflier. i also dont think very highly of the hs55 or 50 economy servos. HS56 are very good servos to use on the cyclic, however, they require tab modifications to fit since they are 4 hole versus 2 hole mounting points on the heli. the new HS65's are even stronger than the 56 and dont have this mounting problem...i would buy those.

the hs50, although fast, is a rather weak tail servo. use a HS56 here (hs65 isnt fast enough). Or you can try a HS81 mini servo for increased speed & torq.

personally i use 3x hs56 & HS81 on my own ship. id use hs65's if they existed back when i bought them.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:41 PM

great! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:34 AM

HS56 or 65 for the cyclic is the best choice. For gyro/tail definitely use the GY401 and 9650. Its the best combo for the Trex by far. Radio you should reconsider. Get the best radio you can afford. Futaba 9chp Super has everything you will want and then some. PCM will give you the same reliability as the DX plus more versatility. You need to get a good simulator so get one compatible with the radio - Reflex. Reflex flies just like the real thing and will save you hundreds in trying new maneuvers. You choose the type of radio plug needed when you buy Reflex. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:43 AM

Thanks Helihacker. I was actually still considering the radio. Any thoughts about the Futaba 7CHP compared to the 9C series?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 AM

Well, the 7CH is very alike the 9CH. It just has 2 less channels, no frequency module (cant go synthesised if you want/ 9ch can), and some other programming capabilites the 7ch doesnt have. I think the 7CH is perfect and it can fly any heli just cant have ALL the extra like video cameras and stuff.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 PM

I've been using a 7CHP for the last 18 months or so as I've gone thru the RC learning curve... it has done everything I've needed. I started using it with a FP (AeroHawk moded with brushless, LiPo and GY401) and has taken me thru into Trexes (three of - 3S, 4S and 5S) .. driving my simulator (Reflex) and ... maybe tomorrow, my first plane - an AeroCat foamie equipped with heli leftover electronics that is ready to maiden.

I think the digital spectrum stuff is very very interesting... but not enough to sacifice having capable TX . My view is that teh 7CHP is a very (very) good buy right now. Buy it with a view to replacing it in 2 or 3 years - or making it your 'number 2 TX'. In 2 or 3 years the digital stuff will be sorted out, great TXs with good functionality will be reasonably priced, the bugs will be driven out.

Back to the servos. HS56 for cyclic, GY401 and 9650 for the tail. I've tried a bunch of different stuff and the 56s are very good (buy spare gearsets though... no different to any other plastic geared servo, they do get stripped) and the 9650 is the 'daddy' for the tail if you have a GY401. It IS a little large and heavy... but you set it up and forget it - and it WORKS.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:14 AM

PhillyHeli,

I just finished putting together my setup. It's a TRex SE with a Spektrum DX6. I like the setup and it might be something you should consider if you're going to do mostly park flying or heli flying. I've got the HS65s on the cyclic (no modification needed), a GY401 and the 9650 which is a digital servo for the tail. If you look at some of the other posts, you'll see that this seems to be one of the best combos. I can't complain, although I've had limited time with my setup. I cannot speak about the other radios but for the price, the Spektrum is a good deal.

That's my 2 cents.

Joe