Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Trex SE Tail Boom Mounting Problem

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Trex SE Tail Boom Mounting Problem

Old 03-16-2006, 12:40 PM
dewey320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex SE Tail Boom Mounting Problem

Has anyone else seen this problem?? I'm building my new SE that I bought earlier this week and after completing the tail rotor and boom assembly I went to mount it to the main frame. It won't slide into the housing far enough because the screws that hold together the 2 halves of the housing are too tight. No problem, I'll just loosen them off and then re-tighten them to clamp down on the boom once I'm able to slide it into place. No problem, that's what I thought. Turns out that when they pre-assembled that piece (the upper frame) at the factory, they cranked it down tight and used thread lock (maybe loctite?) to hold the screws in. Now I'm afraid that trying to back the screws out with such great force will actually strip the screw head. They're pocket type screws that an allen key fits into. I pulled pretty hard on the allen key and they won't budge, I had to stop or I would soon strip the screws then I'd have a real mess on my hands.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Why would Align do such a thing anyway, is there some reason that I'm missing? Any help or comments would be appreciated.

rgds,

dewey
Old 03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts
Default RE: Trex SE Tail Boom Mounting Problem

You are doing it right, a set of hardened hex drivers are nice.

If you strip the screw you will have to use a dremel cutting wheel and cut a straight slot accross it and use a straight slot screw driver on it. You can try heating the screw head gently with a soldering iron, sometimes that will let the locktite break loose but don't over do it.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM
docjoe

I had similar problems and if you purchase the Align tool set, these fit the hex screws so perfectly that the will unscrew them for you. I thought I would have significant problems but as soon as I bought the Align tools, the screws came out no problem. I did replace the screws just in case.

Joe
Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 PM
dewey320

Problem solved. Went into my LHS where I bought the kit and found that the RC Plane/Heli guys did not stock the Align tool-kit or a separate 1.5mm tool. But we did go over to the other side of the store to check with the RC car guys (it's a huge shop) and lo and behold they had one. Worked like a charm. Sure am glad I didn't try to back those screws out with the wrong tool.

dewey320