Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Still getting surging, any ideas? >

Still getting surging, any ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Still getting surging, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Still getting surging, any ideas?

I replaced the trex with a 450SE and a 35 amp speed control. I am still getting the same surging I was getting on the other heli. I have some 2200 Mah batteries on order, but these 1300 Mah batteries should spin the thing just fine. They work well on my other electrics. I don't know much about electrics though as you can tell. Any ideas how to keep it from surging?

Also, any ideas you have to help me in setup would be awesome too. I set the pitch in normal mode to be -1 to 11 and in idle up its pos 11 to neg 11 as suggested in the book. It seems like a neat little heli so far, but I didn't fly it because of the surging. I am hoping to play with it more this weekend.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still getting surging, any ideas?

Describe surging. 1300mah lipos are going to be weak, especially if they are 15C or less. (15x1300=19.5amps) Your motor and electronics use up to 20 amps at times and that leaves nothing for the servos. I bet your pack gets very warm after a couple minutes. I don't know if that would cause surging, but try the 2200's and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:04 PM

Thanks. I will have to find some patients and wait for the new 2200s to get here. It does get warm so you are probably right. I haven't done much with electrics so I expect much more than I get. Hopefully the 2200s will be here soon. This thing looks like a ton of fun.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 381 Likes on 307 Posts

Trying to run the ESC in Governor mode? If so turn it off and set throttle curves.

I'd also go +- 9 not 11, mine even with Thunder Power 2100s balked at anything over +10
Old 12-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Thanks. I am running curves. Didn't try the governer mode. I will drop the pitch back some. I did hover it today for a short time with no problems. It is probably the battery. Probably the same problem I am having with my electric plane, it surges like heck too.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 PM

I flew my rex for the very first time today. Flew very nicely and quite stable in the hover. I also had some surging, but right at the end of the life of the battery (2100). Maybe your problem is indeed battery capacity. Is surging normal at the end of the battery?

The only complaint about the flight was some occasional twitchiness in the tail rotor. I'm running the Align gyro. Any way to dial that in with gain + or - ? Or is that about the best I can expect from that gyro. Holds a general heading, but it looks like it's really hunting. Also noted a slight amount of white nylon dust shedding from the main gear. I have what I think is a good mesh, but I have no frame of reference as this is my first experience with a heli. Should I back the motor off the pinion just a pinch, or run it for another flight to see if it stops. Seems to be plenty free, with no binding on any quadrant, and just the slightest amount of play.

Overall, I'm thrilled with this machine. Not nearly as scary as I was led to believe. I'll roll right into forward flight once the twitchy TR is fixed. Better get parts on order!!!

Don
Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 AM

Emspilot, that is not surging, that is battery cutoff and is being done by the ESC to protect your lipo.
I also forgot to mention that if you arn't running a BEC, get one now. I crashed my TREX because I relied on the ESC to power everything and it cutout in mid-flight.