Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Cheapest T-Rex setup

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Cheapest T-Rex setup

Old 12-05-2006, 02:15 PM
whome64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest T-Rex setup

OK, I just purchased a T-Rex SE v2, DX-7, Futaba GY401 with S9650 and 65's. So I am set! But to get to my question...

I am going to get a setup for my son. He may or may not stay with the sport (you know how it goes). I want to stick with the low end T-Rex (we can share parts) and I already have a JR X-388s of mine he can use. So radio and helicopter are selection I'm good.

I want to spend as little as possible on the remaining components. If you have purchased any of the following components cheap and think they still perform great for the money please post here.

brushless motor: ???
ESC: ???
Cyclic servos: ???
Gyro: ???
Tail servo: ???

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:12 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cheapest T-Rex setup

brushless motor: ???
Stock Align
ESC: ???
Stock Align
Cyclic servos: ???
Maybe not the cheapest, but Hitec HS65 are the best bang for the buck. Don't cut corners here.
Gyro: ???
Futaba GY240, but for the price difference, why not go with the GY401?
Tail servo: ???
Could be another HS65. Some use an HS81.

For the few bucks you might save, why not go with the same componnents you chose? Yes, it will be a few extra dollars. But you chose them because you knew they were the right choices. Why do less for him?
Vince
Old 12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
klamathpro

Agreed with the above post. Although an align gyro will do just fine and save a few bucks too.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 AM
whome64

I appreciate the advice. I already know about the 'best'. I am looking to others who are on a budget who have had good luck with some more reasonable priced options.

Thanks klamathpro, I will look into the align gyro. Is there a model #? Also, I have heard good things about the E-flight gyro. Anyone use the E-flight gyro?

Surely there are some of use who do not run 'the best' and still get great performance.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
WhtBronco

Cheap setup will equal poor performance on helis. Your Rex is setup cheaper than mine even. My helis get nothing but digital servos all the way around.

The Align gyro is just so so.

To save money let him try your Rex. That's the cheapest way and it's the way my kids are learning to fly helis.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 PM
kraaijer

Cheap is not necessarily poor performance, it just depends on what you do with it.
If you're not flying hard 3d with it then HS56 all around and the Align gyro are just fine. I use this and it is stable, it does fly inverted and it can even flip and such. It may not be as aggressive and strong as "digital" all around with a 401 gyro, but hey, you get what you pay for.

I would also not suggest to have your kids try yours... ;-) especially not with an expensive setup. Despite what peoply think, digital servos can break too!

Ron
Old 12-08-2006, 01:05 PM
WhtBronco

Sure digital servos break just as easily as analog servos. I have 3 helis right now a POS Blade CX, a T-Rex and a Raptor 50. I cannot afford another heli and my kids want to learn to ly helis. My 9 year old daughter has ben flying planes fo 4 years now. So she is learning on my helis. These are on hand and much cheaper to learn on than buying another heli at $700 plus for anything decent.

There's no arguing that a product that's paid for is cheaper than a prout not yet paid for. Let's also not forget that with the help of sims an poper maintenance crashing doesn't have to happen while learning. It certainly didn't with me. In fact I was on flight 48 when I first damaged my Raptor 50 and that was on the ground, I caused a boom strike following an auto by using too much negative pitch to hold it down due to the high winds.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Jellyson

Align Gyro RCE500x and Eflite G90 are both excellent gyros for beginners. THe G90 will handle digital servos too but you don't need one. Why do people buy expensive gyros and then ignore the manufacturer's instructions about where to mount them?
This installation of the RCE500x and HS65HB tail servo will take anything I can throw at it--holds the head like it was on a rail.
Because I mounted it as close to the axis of yaw rotation as I could. Like the instructions said.
The other location over the tailboom attach point is 2 or 3 times farther away, so the gyro will work 2 or 3 times less well.
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...13/Rp44377.jpg
Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
WhtBronco

Mounting the gyo over the tail boom mount is the manufacturer suggested gyro location for the T-Rex HDE, CDE and SE. I'm guesing that pic is of the SA version.

I have found the Align gyro to hold just fine for hovering and forward flight, but it can't hold the tail in FBF.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Jellyson

The pic is of my MX400Pro w/ Trex mods. The gyro works noticeably better here than in the "standard" location.
Test it yourself with your gyro!
And I am referring to the Gyro manufacturer's instructions, not the Align Heli instructions.
Another prime place for mounting is directly under the main shaft on the floor, if you can get far enough from the motor here.
The gyro works by sensing yaw. The further from the yaw axis you are, the more the heli has to yaw before the gyro senses it.
Not trying to stir up a controversy, just trying to get people thinking.
Try the alternate locations. I have...

Old 12-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Heli_Harry

I have my JR G500T directly under the main-shaft and I'm using a JR DS3400G Servo for the tail.

The JR G500T is incredible.

Last weekend I went from 70 degrees inside to 30 degrees outside and I did not let the Gyro acclimate I just flew it.
It held great plus it was windy on top of that it and the T-Rex flew great.

I'm sold on the JR G500T.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:18 PM
don_87

If you set up your son's heli with less than what you are using...........the frustration of trying to get it flying correctly will turn him off of helis forever.
And remember, whatever you put on his............you can use on your own if he does decide he doesn't like the hobby.

Good luck with the path you choose,
Don
Old 12-10-2006, 04:24 PM
WhtBronco

You're absolutely correct on the gyro placement. It's just that gyros and servos are so goo now days that it hardly matters. Besides my Rx is mounted inside the chassis on the bottom near the mainshaft and I don't want my gyro that close to my Rx. There's no room to mount the gyro on the side adjacent to the mainshaft due to canopy clearance.