Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

wind and trex

Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind and trex

i have a blade right now, and a futaba 7c, but really, it's impossible to fly here in toronto in the winter, despite the cold, 20mph wind seems to be the norm right now... i tried to fly the blade today with bout 20 mph gusts, very unpredictable, can't do anything other than hovering and some slow/fast ff. (against/with the wind). don't dare to try to roll or loop it. not even a stall turn. so here is the question... i'd really wanted a trex some time ago aready, due to that i dont' have the money, i didn't go that route. now that i've saved up enough to get a SE, i'm faced with cold hard fact that you really can't fly in the winter.. so... how much wind can the trex 450 take before the flight is meaningless? (struggle to keep it in the air) and bout how much wind will it take while doing 3d? this will help me decide whether i'd want to get it after the winter, or sometime soon.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wind and trex

I don't care to fly in winds over 10mph because it's just no fun with the blade or trex's. Plus it's cold out side. So what I do is look for a large heated building to fly in during the winter, warehouses are good school gyms or the ymca. Some places I pay a small fee for useage but I have a buddy with large garage and if it's not full of his toys I can fly therealmost anytime.... I fly my blade in the basement alot during the winter too.....
Old 12-09-2006, 10:44 PM

windy heere to lately. i cant fly at all in about 5mph and higher. maybe if i was more experienced i could. but i wont take that chance. i have a large garage that i can hover around in. its good cause i can practice nose in hovering.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM

I fly mine in some pretty good winds that will (and have) crashed my blade.

The T-Rex weights in about 2 lbs and that is a lot more than the blade so it takes a bit more to push it around.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM

It's a matter of personal preference. I have flown the T-Rex in 15-20 mph winds, and it does okay, but I am used to flying in windy conditions. That said it's much more fun when the winds are calm.

My Raptor 50 handles up to 25 mph winds quite well, but it's about 6.5lbs and FWIW, the same price ready to fly as a T-Rex SE.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:27 PM

yes, my lhs have a raptor 50 SE 2nd hand rtf for 750 CAD, and minus 150 for i have my own tx and rx. but all i have is a local soccer field in a nearby school... so that route is not possible. i'm only 15 so can't drive and a crash will cost several times more. there are houses near by as well... very near... just wondering, the trex 600 is the same size as a raptor 50 right? how big a space do i need to fly that thing?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 PM

The 600 needs just as much space as the raptor 50. The intial investment for the 600 is going to cost quit a bit more then a 450. I would personally look at the S version of the 450. Last not to offend you though you are Canadian it's about. Cheers and good luck.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 PM

ya, but my question is how big a space do you need to fly a 50 size machine?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chopperdudes

ya, but my question is how big a space do you need to fly a 50 size machine?
We had plenty at the local community center.