Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 going to buy a t-rex 450 >

going to buy a t-rex 450

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

going to buy a t-rex 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to buy a t-rex 450

Hi all
I am new to this hobby but so far love, I can’t say the wife feels the same LOL.

I have a lama v3 but really don’t have the room to really learn how to fly an rc heli in my house, having said that I am able to hover the little thing for a full battery pack, and I wanted an out door one.
I was going to buy the falcon 3d for 300 bucks, but I got a bad feeling about it, you get what you pay for kind of feeling, and decided if I am gonna do it, I am gonna do it right!
So this is what I will buy.

First the g3.5 sim, I will practice with this for a good while.

Then I will buy this;
It is a kit from deetee enterprises; cost for the kit is 900
T Rex 450S Base Kit + Align 430L Brushless Motor + Futaba 6Ch Mini PCM Rcvr & Crystal + Futaba 9CHPS Transmitter + Futaba GY401 HH Gyro + 1 ea MicroHeli 9650 Tail Servo Mount + 1 ea Futaba 9650 Digital Tail Servo + 3 ea HiTec HS56HB Servos + Align RC 2100mAh 18 C Li-Poly Battery Pack + Deans Connectors + Velcro Strip + Blinky Cell Balancer

Plus I will buy the e-station bc-8 lipo charger.

What I want to know is, am I making a mistake by buying this or should I buy the flacon 3d to learn on first...?
I am in no way in a hurry to buy anything and really just want to do it all the right way, I know enough about this hobby that its all about patience, patience, practice, practice and a lot more patience...
Thanx for any help
Old 02-07-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: going to buy a t-rex 450

You have done your homework! Good component list. Great transmitter. Great sim.

I would say you are on the right path.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 PM

Dont forget the ESC......inless its in the KIT.

Price seems kinda high....u can get a SE set up for that price.

Id check around some more? I have a SA upgraded with all CNC and a DX7 setup .....im at like $875....though i went with the Align gyro and Hitek 65MG and a 81 for the tail.

Hope this helps

Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Welcome SpeedDemon,

You can't go wrong with any of the Trex's. I recently found this on another thread, Its very informative for New guys and old guys alike

read this.... http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 AM

hi
i have already studdied radds, thank you for the link.
the only thing i am doing diff is i got the phoenix-sim as i heard it is supposed to be the new standard, hopefully i will get that with my futaba 9chps super this week.
i have a lama v3 but there just comes a point where it gets boring trying to use it in a house going from room to room! LOL i need someting a little more chalenging.
thanx for all the info!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tired of the Lama? Use it for heli rescues!!!

Make some bent wire 'army men' with their arms up in a loop. Use the skid of the heli to try to hook the men, transport them to a safe landing zone (a table or counter), drop him off, and then go back for the next man.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

Tired of the Lama? Use it for heli rescues!!!

Make some bent wire 'army men' with their arms up in a loop. Use the skid of the heli to try to hook the men, transport them to a safe landing zone (a table or counter), drop him off, and then go back for the next man.

LOL
i read that in another post, i am guesing it was you, and have been doing that, plus i found it really drives my cats nuts to tie one of their toy mice to a string, however the first time i tied it a little too tight and my cat was a little to quick, hehe he took the hole thing down.
its deff fun and i will continue to use it even after i get a trex but obviusly it is more 'toy' than anything else, not something i really want to spend my time doing.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Speedemon -

I too recently entered the hobby! I started off with a Blade CP Pro that I got for christmas. Had no idea my christmas present would end up costing me more than was spent on it in the first place - Either way - I got sick of fighting the piss poor electric drive tail rotor and got an MX-400. It didn't take long for me to find that that thing just breaks a lot - one time some linkage came loose during flight, not to mention it was the first flight after a repair, and it slammed straight down with some serious heat on it. Needless to say - I got sick of that too. Thats when I bought my T-Rex 450 SE. What a dream machine! Even with a cheap gyro it holds that tail like a fat chick grips a Big Mac! Either way - I only crashed the rex one time - and that was on purpose. The only reason I dumped it was because it was night and after progressing from just hovering around to forward flight - I kinda flew out from under my light - Lost orientation and figured best to dump it in that grass rather than smash it into something else hard. It was around a $25 repair - not calculating that my spindles came in a bag of 4 and my main shafts came in a bag of 3. In saying this - I highly recommend the 450 SE - the aluminum parts did'nt have a single ding in them and over-all performance over plastic parts in a crash are, IMO, highly rated! This thing flies like a rocketship and I love it! Good luck with your set-up! Ohh yeah - one more thing - I recommend getting a Spektrum radio - the short antennae, I feel, doesn't get in your way on the bird, nor on the TX. Besides that I think it's the shiznit! I've had a lot of glitches with the old style 72 mhz radios - hell a radar detector will knock you out of the sky - don't ask how I know ($125 later)
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM

thanx soop
you said all the things i wanted to hear!
with the exception of the radio! i already got the futaba so i can start using it with the flight sim...oh well i will see how it goes, i was really close to getting spektrum...
anyway thanx again for the info
Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM

Well speed - Glad to help out - You know if you experience any glitches in that radio and you decide later that you'd rather have a spektrum - they have adapters for Futaba to convert it to a spektrum. I beleive attaches on to your transmitter and it hooks into your radio via the trainer port, and then all that's needed is a spektrum receiver - You can find it on the spektrum site if it interests you. You probably wont have any problems with your Futaba - I just went spektrum because it's the new hottness!