Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Loops, just do them

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Loops, just do them

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Tolla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loops, just do them

I went through 4 packs this morning doing loops. They are easier to do than you think.
I did some passes to get my height and speed about right. Then next time around just pulled back on the stick. I reduce the pitch a little at the top, no begative pitch, just a little less thereof, then pull back a little more on the right stick as you come around. VOILA.
If my approach is not right in tems of heading and height then I cancel teh loop and go around againfor another try.
You don't neet a heck of a lot of forward speed. I also did a few loops just pulling back on the stick and not touching the pitch at all and they worked fine to.
Rolls are next...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Raserx

Default RE: Loops, just do them

Hey Tolla,
Way to go!

Stationary loops/flips are next. Pretty much the same, just give a little positive collective when you pull back on the cyclic.

Rolls are the same a little positive then right or left cyclic.

Sounds like your passing me up in 3D town...lol
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM
AeroDave

Tolla,
I've heard guys say they did their nicest loops when they forgot to go into idle up
For flips, I've found I need some negative as it goes inverted and then I hold off adding positive until its coming around to upright. That keeps it from dropping on the last half. In other words, I used to have trouble with forward/backward flips dropping until I started holding off on adding positive. As they say, flips are all about timing. Nice work on the loops, dude!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Tolla

Thanks all, I'm pretty chuffed myself.
What I wanted to get across , was simply, if you think you're ready, then just go for it.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:06 PM
JTK37

Okay, please excuse the questions of someone who has no idea how to more than hover or fly around in circles etc.

Is it safe to say that for a loop, you pull back (as if to go backward from a hover) while slightly increasing the pitch, and then reduce the pitch as the heli nears inversion. Then when it starts to come around increase pitch and stop pulling back? Thanks, Joe
Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
theDonDon

Basically you never touch the collective when the heli is vertical, going up or coming down. Add a little collective just before you pull back on the cyclic- hold the cyclic back- add a little negative pitch once you are completely inverted, not before or after- once the heli is pointing downward at an angle of 45 degrees start adding positive pitch again.
It's actually amazing how little collective pitch you really need to loop, even less for flips- just a little snap when the heli is horizontal.
I think the best skill to learn is collective timing, I don't hold the collective "on", just give it a little punch and return to near mid-stick, small inputs but quick ones-then you don't load the rotor up as much.
Best of luck
Old 04-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Tolla

And so this morning I pulled off a few rolls as well. Somewhat corkscrewy but rolls none the less. There is a tendency to loose a bit of height during rolls, so don't start out too low. Whopeee
Old 04-09-2007, 04:36 AM
Raserx

SWEEET... Tolla,

wanna try my tick-tock alarm clock move?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Tolla

Raserx
Naw. Maybe regular tick tocks sometime.....I prefer to keep my spares in the spares in the spares box.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Raserx

Hey Tolla,
I perfected it the first time I tried it.....

So ithink I will work on another less expensive trick now....
Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Tolla

Rolls and loops and where to I crash my rex. Hovering in my yard. Stupid sod.....
Old 04-14-2007, 05:51 PM
krisnz

cool
HOW HIGH OFF THE GROUND BEFORE DOING A LOOP, and how fast forward flight? say 3m and 30kmh??
Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Raserx

Loops just require forward flight..the faster you fly the faster your inputs need to be.

Or just get up real high (as high as you can safely judge orientation) and do a flip. The higher you go the better chance you have for a safe recovery...if you make a mistake.

either way, give alittle positive collective as as you pull back on the cyclic. when you get to the top of the loop/flip give a little negative. Then feed in a little positive as you nose down the the back side of the loop.

If you don't feed in the negative pitch the Heli really loses altitude quickly on the back side of the loop.

For faster(stationary) flips make bigger control inputs...once you get the timing down...your heart won't be in your throat.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:58 PM
krisnz

thanks
ive been doing them on fms but it won't be the same as when i will try it in real life, lol, should i try it with my little esky 004 first before i try with my trex clone? or will a FP heli not pull it off
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Raserx

I'm sure its possible with an FP heli....but, you really need the collective to pull them off clean. Especially if you are trying flips.

Good luck...and let us know how it goes.

Its been raining for days so any heli info is craved....[]
Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Tolla

I practiced loops and rolls om FMS as well before I went out. It's good to get your fingers co-ordination right on the sim.
I fust finished my 4 packs worth and I found my nicest rolls were when I didn't add any negative pitch at all, just got some good speed up, plenty height, then just pulled bachk on the stick and held it there. Maybe a touch more cyclic as you come around, but I left the throttle stick alone.
With rolls you gotta get the timing of the negative input just right, then it's actually a roll. Time that a little off and it looks like a corkscrew and you loose more height.I got it wrong this morning. I rolled my rex into the ground bent the feathering shaft, main shaft, broken blades. broken main gear. The usual stuff that breaks! Got plenty of spares so I was up and flying again after lunch.
I think if you can do them on FMS then you're ready to go.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 PM
JTK37

So is it possible to do a loop by simply gaining forward speed and then pulling back on the cyclic without going into any negative pitch?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
gt_jumper

I forgot to idle-up one day and it frightened the hell outta me but yes i did it (it was only my like 5th loop).
Old 04-15-2007, 05:08 PM
chopperdudes

lol, i still remember my first loop with my little blade cp. i did my regular flight on idle up already at that time. so i decided that was the flight that i'm gonna pull my first loop... well, i exhasted the battery doing regular stuff, and decided to pull off a loop before i pack it up... i landed, took a deep breath, and went up really REALLY high... well, got some forward speed and start pulling the cyclic back and lowering the collective... then i noticed, i was soooo nervous that i forgot to go into idle up!!!... well, i went over before i got freaked out, even though it lost alot of altitude, i landed safely. my 3rd and 5th loop ended in disaster though.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Raserx

hey JT,
Here is a pic of my first loop. It looked great until I lost too much altitude on the back side. Pretty much a full speed nose plant. [:@] I had no idea I needed any collective...$100 in repair parts...mostly because the ESC broke into several pieces.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 PM
krisnz

hi all
i did it today, a back flip with my FP GWS/ESKY WITH 400 MAIN MOTOR,WOODEN MAIN BLADES, AND 1300MAH 20C LIPO,
PRITTY COOL

2ND TRY ENDED UP IN A BUSH BUT WITH NOT TO MUCH DAMAGE THE HELI WAS OK TO
i tryed one last week with plastic blades but it was out of control, LOL
ill try another later,

kris

ORIGINAL: Raserx

I'm sure its possible with an FP heli....but, you really need the collective to pull them off clean. Especially if you are trying flips.

Good luck...and let us know how it goes.

Its been raining for days so any heli info is craved....[]
Old 06-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Crabstick

nice work Kris, i was going to attempt my first loop today, but didnt get the balls up..

rcheli.co.nz has a active NZ forum, with trex parts available from there too
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 AM
krisnz

thanks crabstick,
i did heaps today, good fun,
i'll have to try it one day with my trex clone
also thanks for the web links
but this one didn't work www.modelpowerboat.co.nz

kris

ORIGINAL: Crabstick

nice work Kris, i was going to attempt my first loop today, but didnt get the balls up..

rcheli.co.nz has a active NZ forum, with trex parts available from there too
Old 06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Crabstick

yeah modelpowerboat is my site, its having a server move so isnt up right now

www.rchelis.co.nz is mint, theres a few of us talking most days, some guys from wellington, hamiliton and Auckland mainly

what TREX clone have yo got man ?

Matt
Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 PM
krisnz

hi Crabstick
i have a walkera 39 with align esc, micro heli alloy tail and head setup, dx6 spectrum radio, gy401 and s9650 survo
its ok
whats the currency on your site NZ or US

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.