Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 T-rex and JR 8103 Dt programming >

T-rex and JR 8103 Dt programming

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

T-rex and JR 8103 Dt programming

Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-rex and JR 8103 Dt programming

Hi:
I have been learning from many of you guys here at RC Universe, now it is time to post my experience on programming my JR 8103 DT Radio with my Trex SA Helicopter.
Maybe there are not much people out there with the same combination but, for sure it will help for those few who have the same combo and wish to know how to program their radios and Helos.

First of all this is the list of what I have:

-Trex SA version
-Stock Align 430L Brushless Motor, 3150 Kv.
-Align 25-Amp. Brushless ESC with 5 volt BEC
-Three Hitec HS-65HB micro servos for Elevator, Aileron and Pitch.
Here there is a difference with the Manual, I used the largest double horn servo arm but instead of connecting the ball link at the 15.0 mm as stated I connected to the next hole at 12.5 mm (Which is close to the center screw)
-Futaba S-9650 Digital Mini Servo for rudder control.
-Futaba GY-401 Gyro
-Align 2100 mAh 3S 11.1 Volts Li-Po Battery Pack.
-Hitec Supreme RCD 3800 Receiver.

Radio Programming Window by Window:

System Set-up:
By pressing the Up and down buttons at the same time turn on the transmitter;
Press again Up and Down buttons so you can enter to the model selection menu; then scroll with + or – keys till you can access an empty model.

Press Up button three times to enter to the Model reset menu and press the clear button just to be sure that there is no any info previously stored.

Once that the model is cleared, press one more time the up button and enter to the modulation menu, here you must select PCM or PPM according with you receiver modulation.

Once you have selected the modulation then press up button three times to enter to the Input selection menu, with channel button scroll between Aux2 Ch and gear, with + and – buttons select [INH] on each channel.

Press up button once to enter to the swash plate type menu and scroll with + and – buttons and choose the 3 servos 120o option.

Press up two more times and choose an 8 character name to display using the + and – buttons and the channel buttons.

We have finished setting up the System on our JR 8103 Radio.

Now we will press the Up and Down buttons to exit to the main menu and will press again the Up and Down buttons to enter to the function menu.

At the function menu we will see the Dual Rates Aileron menu, then press the Up button once and we will be at the reverse switch menu. I am using the Hitec HS-65HB micro servos, a Hitec receiver and with my JR radio the channel will be this way:
Channel 1 Normal; Ch. 2 Reversed; Ch 3 Reversed; Ch 4 Norm; Ch 5 Norm; Ch 6 Norm; Ch 7 Norm and Ch 8 Normal.

Press Up three time to enter to the swash mix menu and enter the values given by the manual:
3 servos
Aile -65%
Elev 65%
Pit 80%

Press once more the up button and enter to the Thro Hold menu, select INH.

Press once more the up button and enter to the Throttle curve menu, set the values shown in the Trex manual
Norm:
L=0% 1=inh 2=80% 3=inh H=100%
ST-1
L=100% 1=inh 2=85% 3=inh H=100%

You may enter new values to the ST-2

Press again the Up button and enter to the Pitch Curve menu:
Here I must say that in my personal experience I had to adjust the pitch to obtain 0% pitch at half throttle and also adjust the high point to have 10o pitch at high throttle.
So my values in normal pitch curve are:
L=48% 1=inh 2=50% 3=inh H=85%
ST1
L=5% 1=inh 2=50% 3=inh H=90%

You also may enter different values to the ST2

Press again Up button and check that inverted menu is INH

Press Up button once more and check that all ATS. Mix and Revo Mix are set to 0%

Press Up button and enter to the Gyro sens menu, choose the RUDD D/R option and rate 0 to 100% and rate 1 to 0%; After you have flying test you may change these setting decreasing the rate if the tail wags.

Press Up button 8 times and enter to the sub trim menu, set the throttle stick to exactly the 50% and check that all ccpm servo arms are horizontally level, if not, then use the sub trim menu to achieve the perfect level on Aile, Elev and pitch.

Press up button once more and check that all travel adjustment are 100%

That’s all the programming for your Trex and a JR 8103 Radio.

One last note:
Gyro should be connected to the channel four Rudders and the gain lead should be connected to the Aux2 or channel 6, the limit of the gyro should be set to the max. 140 , then unlink the rear ball of the rudder pushrod, move the stik of your transmitters rudder channel all the way to the right and mannualy move the rudder control assembly in the same direction to the extreme part, see how much they are separate from matching and adjust the "limit" pot of the gyro untill the ball link matches the eye ball link. Once you have achieved this setting you may Set "Delay" to 0% if you are using a digital servo like me.

I am a heli beginner and all this information has been retrieved among several forums and asking many questions many times, this is a beginners set-up and should be enough to have your initial flights, then you may modify some settings as your skills grow.

I want to thank to all those RC Universe members who had helped me to set my Trex with my radio and as a big Thank you I wanted to post all the programming steps for those who have the same equipment and want to set-up their radios successfully.

Thanks for reading.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Default RE: T-rex and JR 8103 Dt programming

Great info Thanks
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info, BUT...
How did you come up with these numbers? Care to explain the logic behind the numbers?

Press once more the up button and enter to the Thro Hold menu, select INH.
Why? In case of an imminent crash, you WANT TH to work. This will slow the rotors down to minimize damage and prevent the "funky chicken". It will also prevent gear train damage by powering down your motor or bringing your engine to idle.

...Press Up button and enter to the Gyro sens menu, choose the RUDD D/R option and rate 0 to 100% and rate 1 to 0% ...
...Press up button once more and check that all travel adjustment are 100% except the rudder that should be L=50% and R=50%....
...One last note:
Gyro should be connected to the channel four Rudders and the gain lead should be connected to the Aux2 or channel 6, the limit of the gyro should be set to the max. 140 and Delay to 25% if you are using a digital servo like me....
I don't agree with your gyro programming.
1. The rudder travel adjust is in fact the piroutte rate of the helicopter. You adjust it from 100% as necessary.
2. The throw shold be the maximum provided by the mechanics, not just a random number.
3. Unless you know what you ae doing, you should not mess with the delay.

Overall a pretty good summary of information. I would have included a little paragraph explaining why I arrived at those numbers. Other than the noted discrepancies i think is pretty good.

Edit: "Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime." The reason behind me asking for the logic behind the numbers.

Rafael
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM

Sure Rafael, you only have to read the Trex SA manual, everything is there, except the gyro adjustments which can be found here:
http://www.raptortechnique.com/gy401-jr8103.htm
Obviously, you have to change some settings to make it work with the Trex.
The only deviation from the manual was with the pitch numbers to acquire the desired -2 to 10.5o window pitch in normal set-up.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't mean to sound disrespectful or harsh, I'm trying to look at this thread in a critical manner so we all can learn. This is the purpose of this thread and the purpose of all forums, right?

So correct me if I'm wrong, if all you did was cut and paste from the manual, what is the purpose of the thread? Wasn't this already published information?

All what I'm trying to say is that, if you are going to cut and paste information here, you should add some "meat" to the subject. The "meat" being the logic behind the numbers. Nut just a recipe for programming that might not be what I'm looking for.

So this is how I actually set up my helicopters.
After I do the system settings as indicated above...
1. Install the servos and check which arm on the servo wheel is closest to having perfect alingment.
2. Use subtrim to make the alingment perfect.
3. Make sure the tavel adjust is 100% ON ALL CHANNELS
4. Go to the Swash menu and enter the desired mixing. Probably already published on the manual.
5. Set the collective pitch "window" on the swash menu. Adjust links as necessary to obtain desired range. For aerobatics and 3D 0 degrees should correspond with mid-stick (50%) travel on the pitch/throttle stick.
6. check that the cyclic pitch is approx 7 degrees on aileron and elevator. Increase or decrease the swash menu numbers as necessary. If a servo does not move in the desired direction, a combination of servo reverse or a negative number on the swash menu should have it moving in the correct direction. If there is any binding after the deflection is set to 7 degrees, there is an error in the assembly and links need to be adjusted. After 17 degrees of total pitch (10 degs of collective pitch and 7 degs of cyclic) the blades enter a stall where the airflow starts separating from the blade surface.
a. Make the collective pitch be 0 degrees
b. Move the blades on line with the tailboom.
c. Check Aileron deflection by moving the stick to the extreme and measure (both ways) if the deflection is not the same, there are some links that need adjusting.
d. move the blades so that the flybar is on top of the boom and check the elevator deflection as indicated above.
7. Depending on the gyro, the travel needs to be the maximum allowed by the mechanical set-up of the machine. You want the blades to have a slight angle to counteract the normal torque of the motor while hovering. From there, check for gyro sensing by grabbing the helicopter and making it rotate on the main shaft. If the gyro reacts incorrectly, reverse the sensor. Gain will be adjusted at the field. True center of the gyro and servo will be adjusted at the field too. At the field, set the gyro in rate mode and hover the helicopter if the tail drifts, adjust the length of the control rod until the drift is gone. Make sure the servo is still centered. The gain is adjusted to eliminate drift after the control rod has been adjusted.
8. Set the throttle curve at the field, with a head tachometer. You are looking for a headspeed that will make the heli feel crisp, but will not drain your batteries too fast. Also, the batteries should not feel hot after a normal flight. If they are hot, your headspeed is too high. Normally 2400rpm for a Trex 450 is good enough. Some people prefer higher headspeeds. Set the hovering HS and then adjust the points above the hovering point by "punching" the heli up and listening for the motor noise.

Those are the basic steps I take when setting up a new heli. I think I have not missed any. Then again there are the Finless videos in Helifreak that take you step by step almost exactly like I did above. He does it for a Trex, but the theory is the same.

Rafael
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Rafael: you are free to think that is a copy and paste job, just try to read the manuals or go further and make a good investigative job then you may come back and post whatever you want. This thread as I mentioned earlier is intended for those who have a similar equipment and as a guide to program their radios, I surely do not need to argue because it does not lead anywhere if you have a positive comment to share that could help others with the programming of their JR8103 radios with their Trex SA then post it, otherwise keep it to your self.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor
Rafael: you are free to think that is a copy and paste job, just try to read the manuals or go further and make a good investigative job then you may come back and post whatever you want. This thread as I mentioned earlier is intended for those who have a similar equipment and as a guide to program their radios, I surely do not need to argue because it does not lead anywhere if you have a positive comment to share that could help others with the programming of their JR8103 radios with their Trex SA then post it, otherwise keep it to your self.
Dude, calm down. I am not trying to be anything but helpful here. Obviously you are a newbie and you just followed a cookie cutter recipie to programming you radio. Obviously you don't know where those numbers came from. I'm trying to help you understand (by being critical of your post) the reason behind the numbers.

If you don't like it, I'll go away. If you don't want to learn from experienced pilots, I'll go away. I just disagree with your procedure and noted it so people have an option of following your procedure or mine. Either way, I'm out of here, oviously you did not like my comments.

Either way, the entire procedure is noted in video at the Helifreak on one of Finless videos.

Rafael
Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Old 10-19-2007, 01:19 PM

Dude, I'll go away as soon as I tell you that I have a 450 XL controlled by an 8103 and now a 9303; have helped set up numerous 450 SA/SE/XL/SEV2 ect. in radios ranging from a 6102 to a 10X (including the 7202 and the 8103). I will not go into how many other helicopters I have programmed, Raptors, Ventures, Knights, Gohbee. Futaba radios, Hitec Radios.

Don't blame me if you don't want to learn the logic of why it was programmed that way.

Rafael
Old 10-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
My Feedback: (11)

alfredbmor

I followed you directions on setting up a trex 450 xl, which I know is diffrent than a sa. and I have a problem that when i give it left aileron it goes right and vice a versa, but If I reverse the servo then it acts like elevator..................................so what I mean is if I give it left input it gives me up elevator..................this is my first true heli and I am lost beyond my mind. I know I have all the servos where they need to be. I just dont knwo if your setup for the SA is diffrent for the XL.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM

Oh, man what a great opportunity to put popcorn in the microwave. I've got the first batch ready....

Rafael
Old 10-25-2007, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: keysteck

alfredbmor

I followed you directions on setting up a trex 450 xl, which I know is diffrent than a sa. and I have a problem that when i give it left aileron it goes right and vice a versa, but If I reverse the servo then it acts like elevator..................................so what I mean is if I give it left input it gives me up elevator..................this is my first true heli and I am lost beyond my mind. I know I have all the servos where they need to be. I just dont knwo if your setup for the SA is diffrent for the XL.
I had the same problem when I was building my Trex, in my particular case was really easy to fix it up just following the leads of the servos to the correct channels on the receiver, it was easy to confuse because the servo leads of the aileron and pitch are in opposite direction, try firstly plugging each servo lead to a designated channel and see what happens do not change settings on your radio or reverse channels just plug one servo at a time and it could help if you label the servo connectors.
On my SA manual the servos are like this:
Pitch servo is located in the lower forward hole in the right hand frame, and then the servo lead will go through the fuse in the left side of the frame.
Aileron servo should be installed at the upper forward hole in the left hand frame and the lead will run into the right wall of the frame.
Tell me if in your Trex is the same, then we will go to next step.
Here is the link of the SA manual so you can have a good comparison.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...ARF_Manual.pdf
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Keystek which receiver are you using?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I am using a GWS rx for now.....................but I figuered out what my problem was................ME

I had overlooked the - on the swash mix. After fising that it corrected my problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Good to hear that, I had a couple flights yesterday and all I have to say is that I love this machine, it so stable and the Gyro does a great job so flying has been very easy now, take your time building your machine and setting all the accurate that you can and you will have a nice surprise with your first flight.