Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 First piro... too fast! >

First piro... too fast!

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

First piro... too fast!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First piro... too fast!

Hi,

I'm just taming my TRex now and today, I was finally able to get some altitude and try a simple piro. It went very well, but the piro was soooooo fast!! I was almost afraid that the lipo would be thrown away! It's way too fast, even for hardcore 3d. Anyway, I'm just learning forward flight right now, still really far from any hard 3d maneuvers.

So I was wondering how to slow doww the piro rate a little. I was thinking lowering the rudder channel endpoints, is it the right way to do it?

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: First piro... too fast!

depends.....

which gyro are you using.....
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM

i'm using a gy401 with a DX7 radio... the gyro sens in the gyro menu is set to 65%
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am pretty sure that you can control the piro rate on a GY401 by bringing in the end points of your rudder channel on the transmitter.
Vince
Old 10-22-2007, 11:14 PM

Set the limits on the gyro...there's a delay thing and to the right of that is the limiter. Switch that and bring it down until you get the desired.....um rotation

Hope this helps

~Michael~
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Michael,
Setting the gyro limits down to control piro rate is going to produce some undesirable results. It will set limits on the physical travel of the tail servo. This will limit the authority of the tail in high demand maneuvers like climbouts and 'oops' collective grabs (the time when you least want tail blowouts). And it will only limit the piro rate after the servo has traveled to the limit.
Instead, bringing in the end points on the transmitter reduces the max rudder input that you send to the gyro. This is an effective way to reduce piro rate. Just like bumping up the end points to 120% is a way to increase the piro rate. The reduced transmitter end points mean that you never tell the gyro to spin as fast. But you still leave the gyro with the ability to give larger rudder inputs to properly counter the torque demands from the main rotor.
Keep the gyro limits set so that the tail mechanism is just short of binding at each end of travel. And adjust piro rate with transmitter end points.
Vince
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 AM

VinceHerman:: ... The reduced transmitter end points mean that you never tell the gyro to spin as fast.
That's a key statement to understanding piro rates in HH. In HH, the stick position is a RATE command to the gyro ... not a position command to the servo.
The rudder stick position is interpreted by the gyro as a RATE in which you want to YAW. For any given stick position (including center stick) ... the gyro will move the servo as necessary (within the limits) to maintain the "commanded" RATE.

So if the result of full rudder stick is a piro rate that is too fast for you ... either don't move the stick as far ... or change the rudder channel end points so that even at full stick deflection ... you are not "commanding" a high piro rate. The gyro still operate the servo as required to maintain that piro rate.

Remember ... the gyro can still deflect the servo to the set limits even at center stick (0 YAW rate) if that's what it takes to hold 0 YAW.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM

Vince and Tippy are right, you need to reduce the endpoints on the rudder channel. I tried it and it works. Do not mess with the gyro limits.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks all, it cofirms what I was thinking, I will go on and reduce my rudder channel endpoints on the radio,
Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 PM

I guess ya learn something new every day. I too have a pretty fast one so I'll do that same thing....

~Michael~