Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

Tail rotor not centering

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Tail rotor not centering

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
pedec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail rotor not centering

I would like everbody to know this is my first heli and need some help. Just bought a used t-rex 450 seems in really good shape. I am using a rd 6000 transmiter and reciever. Hooked everything up and seems to work well but tail rotor will not center when I let the rudder stick go, is this normal with a gyro hooked up. If I move heli side to side I can see rotors move really smooth and slow i believe because gyro is working proper. But when I try to use rudder stick it will not center if I drop stick. Any help would be great.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Maxime

Default RE: Tail rotor not centering

Can't say for sure if the heli is properly set-up, however this kind of behavior is perfectly normal with a Heading Hold gyro....

You should try to find someone to help you set-up your heli ( a real person )! But if you can't we here can help you out....

And check these videos too.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692
Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Disconnect the Gyro from the receiver,then plug in battery and center the rudder servo AND the tailrotor on shaft,via mechanical or radio operation.Once the servo centers and the tailblades go each way and center,plug the Gyro back in.
It works on mine.
When starting the Heli,after plugging the battery in,do not move the Heli for a few seconds until the light is solid on the Gyro.
What Gyro do you have.
Also the baldes may not go to neutral unless you let the stick "flick" back to neutral
I am newer to this,so others may have better advise.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: pedec

I would like everbody to know this is my first heli and need some help. Just bought a used t-rex 450 seems in really good shape. I am using a rd 6000 transmiter and reciever. Hooked everything up and seems to work well but tail rotor will not center when I let the rudder stick go, is this normal with a gyro hooked up. If I move heli side to side I can see rotors move really smooth and slow i believe because gyro is working proper. But when I try to use rudder stick it will not center if I drop stick. Any help would be great.
What gyro do you have?? What mode are you in??

Some gyros have two modes of operation: Normal/Rate mode and Heading Hold.

In Normal/Rate mode, the rudder stick controls the servo mostly and the gyro mixes in very little.

In Heading Hold (HH) however it's a different story. In HH, the stick position DOES NOT position the tail rotor servo. It is essentailly a YAW rate control to the gyro and the gyro moves the servo as required to cause the heli to YAW at the rate commanded by the rudder stick position.

When your heli is not flying (on the ground/ on your workbench), it can't YAW. So when you move the stick (command a YAW rate), the gyro moves the servo as required to achieve that YAW rate (which the heli doesn't) ... so the gyro keeps adding pitch until it either moves the heli (which it won't) or the gyro reaches the stops ... and there it sits. While in the air, the heli is capable of responding to the t/r pitch change and the gyro/servo response works normally.

Usually wiggling the rudder stick will give the gyro a "new" rate or wiggling the heli will cause it to recenter.

So if you have a normal acting gyro and a correctly setup heli and TX and you are in HH mode ... this is a typical response.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 AM
BryFlyGuy67

This threw me too when I first setup my tail and servo. As stated above, you can cause the servo to re-center by moving the rudder stick rapidly back and forth and then letting go. You can also put your gyro in rate mode (if you have that set up) and you can see the center that way.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
pedec

Thanks for help so far I will fiddle with it tonight more and have more questions.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
HeliTB

Without knowing what type of gyro, it will be difficult to help. List the type of gyro.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
rlsloan

Yes. This is normal. Always wiggle your rudder stick to center it before liftoff.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
pedec

The gyro is a Logictech LTG-2100t and the guy I bought it from said he just used it for hover and forward flight and it was set up for this type flight. Which does sound like head holding mode. Just looks funny compared to on a plane when I guy test the rudder and if you let go of controls it centers on it own. If not there is something wrong.