Community
Search
Notices
Tachometer Readings Post your tachometer readings for your motor in here or ask others what they are getting out of their motor/prop combos!

BME110 Xtreme

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME110 Xtreme

After about 30 flights on the engine, and close to 5 gallons of gas, 5 props were tested today. Humidity was 85%, temperature was 82 degrees, altitude was 650 feet ASL. Gas is 89 octane Amoco silver, oil is Castrol 2-stroke @50:1 ratio.

The engine is set up in a Fiberclassics 2.6M 330lx using "70cc" Pefa 'L' canisters and 3.5" headers. The exhaust is not optomized or "tuned" for resonant length, but does reduce exhaust noise. All props passed the IMAC noise test at 91-95dB.

Menz-s 27-10. . 6900-6950 cold, 6800 hot.. VERY noisy prop and did a lot more spinning than pulling in the air. Easily the noisiest prop of the group, but at higher rpm's did not seem to "bite" as hard as the other props.

Mejzlik 28-10. . 6850-6900 cold, 6800 hot.. medium noise level on the ground and in the air, pulls very hard and has great vertical. 2nd best prop of the group tested.

AM 28-10. . 6850-6900 cold, 6800-6850 hot, medium noise level on the ground and slightly less in the air, Pulls just a touch harder than the 28-10 Mejzlik, and my personal favorite in the way it flew the plane.

Menz-s 28-10. . 6350 cold, 6250 hot, medium noise level on the ground and the quietest of the group in the air. Pulls very well but lacks the instantaneous thrust and recovery on vertical snaps that the Mejzlik and AM give you. A great "steady-state" prop or one for flying the plane in calm conditions where the tail is not blown off line by the wind (we had 25 knot steady winds from the East above 100' today)

Mejzlik 29-10 (Modified with squared off tips . 28" overall length) . . 6400 cold, 6300 hot, good smooth power but lacks the "zip" of the 28" props and gets blown off line about the same as the 28-10 Menz. Lowest sound signature on the ground (for dB testing) and very quiet in the air.

For those interested, I have not adjusted the carburetor since the first flight, and the belly of the plane is a bit wet from excess oil/gas coating it. I could probably "tweak" another 100 or so rpm out of the engine, but I'm going to wait will I switch over to 100:1 Amsoil before I start adjusting the needles for max top end power. In the air the engine sounds just a tad rich, with a slight burble throughout the mid-range, but throttle-up is quick, without hesitation. You can also 'smell' the oil in the exhaust, showing that it is, indeed , a bit richer than necessary.

When I do tweak the needles, I'll test the 28" props again. In the meantime I'm looking to sell off the Menz-s 27-10. . anyone interested?