Notices

Servos for Rappy 30?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:02 PM
pylonboy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos for Rappy 30?

I have put a few flights on my new Raptor 30 v2, and I am not happy with the servo performance. I was originally going to install some Futaba 5101 servos that I had kicking around, but they did not fit into the spot on the Raptor tray. Failing that, I found some new 148's with ball bearing conversions that I installed to get things rolling.

They worked, but are a little wimpy with the tight new controls, and I am not completely assured that they are enough for this chopper. I am now looking for some better servos, but I don't want to break the bank either. I plan on doing some mild aerobatics, but there is a possibility that there may be some future 3D with this heli. I am not brand partial, and I have used JR, Futaba, Hitec servos before. Some good, some not so good. Is there a good servo out there that will fit this heli, and only cost $30 to $40 apiece? Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:57 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Servos for Rappy 30?

First and foremost, your controls should not be the least bit tight! Every ball link must be fitted to it's ball to a loose but slop free condition. There are a couple tools available for doing this as well as the plier squeeze method. I prefer the sizing tool that snaps in and cuts a portion of the link but either method will work. The links should fall freely under their own weight when disconnected at either end. Once this is done, basic servos such as the 148's are sufficient to fly the heli until you get into really hard flying and then really only the pitch servo is really demanding. As your flying progresses you will want better servos but they will be beyond the $40 price you mention. Futaba s9202's are popular for nearly all helis. The next step up in Futaba are the S9252 digitals. I use 9202s in my R50 except the pitch servo is a S9252. I only noticed a slight improvement in collective response going to the digial servo.
You might check e-bay or even here on RCU's auctions for 9202s. There are usually several being sold pretty reasonable in new condition by places like heli-hut.
I can't stress enough your links must be fitted for that perfect feel. Also if they are too tight, the heli will never trim out correctly nor will it stay trimmed.
Good Luck,,,basmntdweller
Old 12-26-2003, 08:16 PM
raptor_dude

With a bit of fooling the 5101's will fit, I'm running 5101's on cyclic, collective and throttle on my R50 V.2 and had them in my 30 before.

Colin
Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Darksider

i used jr 811's on pitch and both cyclic's on my raptor 30 for a long time with great success, i think 9252's are a bit too high up the scale for a 30 size heli, and are easily capable of being used on a 90 size as many people would say who use them on such large heli's, the 811's were precise and fast and with the tt39 engine the raptor 30 was capable of pretty much anything i was, the only slight downside with the 811's was they simply refused to work with a ppm reciever, and would twitch randomly, but gave me no trouble whatsoever under pcm.
As for the links basmntdweller is right however i have never bothered carving or reshaping the thunder tiger links, i simply fly the heli for 4 or 5 gallons and they shape up perfectly since they are relatively soft really.

Good luck

Gareth
Old 12-27-2003, 04:09 PM
pylonboy
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Guys:

I was not quite sure what to do about the stiff links, and I was just going to run it gently until it loosened up a bit. I think I will take basmntdweller's advice and look into loosening them up a little first. This is my third heli, but the only one that was this stiff to start off with. With the links a little less stiff, the servos might just be o.k. for cruising around and hovering.

I will still keep an eye out for a good deal on the servos you gentleman have suggested. Thanks again.