Notices

Ball linkages "tight"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 12:33 PM
ptarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball linkages "tight"

I'm building a Raptor 50 v2...

The ball links seem very tight, I'm suprised why they even put bearings in there if the ball links are going to create so much friction. Its suprisingly hard for me to actuate the aileron linkages by hand. My servo seems to be able to make small movements fluidly, but it always "hums" when I release controls due to the friction (trouble centering). Is this normal? Can I put a drop of lube on the links to free them up some?
Old 08-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Ball linkages "tight"

Make sure you have the ball ends facing the right way. When you snap them on you should be able to read Thunder Tiger on them...yes they are directional. If they are on the right way and still tight I would just fly it and let them break in. Mine were tight when they were new also but not extremely tight.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:58 PM
ptarp

Ok, I didn't realize they were directional. Many of mine are backwards. The manual leaves much to be desired IMO.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Hey that's what these message boards aer here for!
Old 08-15-2004, 05:14 PM
ptarp

ORIGINAL: Raydee

Hey that's what these message boards aer here for!
Yes, and thank god for that!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:45 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need size the links for proper fit. There are a couple sizing tools available that work well. I think the one I have is made by KSJ. I got it at the LHS that carries a lot of heli stuff. The link should have no discernable slop but fall under it's own weight(mounted on linkage rod).
Matt
Old 08-16-2004, 10:04 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The ball link sizing tool is a must have. I use them for every ball link now. Used to never use them and what a pain it was. They are like $5. Well worth the money. Pick one up.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:44 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptarp

Ok, I didn't realize they were directional. Many of mine are backwards. The manual leaves much to be desired IMO.
Try [link=http://www.raptortechnique.com]Raptor Technique[/link] He has step by step build directions for the rappy's. Saved me countless hours of reassmebly.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM
ptarp

What does the sizing tool do? Don't they just snap on w/o adjustments? Or do you mean threading on the plastic ends onto the metal rod. THAT WAS A PAIN IN THE A*&
Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the sizing tool looks like a ball but is split down the middle and has a screw in it that when you tighten the screw it expands the ball. As you work the tool in the ball link, it slowly cuts away some of the inside surface of the link. It is a trial and error deal but you get the perfect fit that way and they hardly wear. You want to cut away just enough that there is hardly any friction left but it still has a good tight snap onto the control ball. If you don't do this, your heli will never lock in because the controls will be so stiff the servos won't center accurately all the time. The trim will never settle in.
Matt
Old 08-16-2004, 06:10 PM
ptarp

ORIGINAL: ptarp

I ALSO didn't realize that the measurements of the linkages were given from hole center to hole center. I was measuring the entire length of the rod and therfore they all were too short. I fixed everything and its smoother now.