Search
Notices

Hummingbird to Raptor Flight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Mr.Tango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird to Raptor Flight conversion

I have been flying my Hummingbird CP for a while now and I am totally at ease with hovering tail in up to high altitude. My friend has just bought a Raptor 30 Mk1 that has already flown by an experienced pilot and is like new. This “friend” has never flown a Heli and he would like me to set it up and get it to the hover.

Am I in for a shock, or a pleasant surprise. What can I expect and what should I look out for.

Please advise this nervous Hummingbird pilot. [&:]

Thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 09:12 PM
skrielow

Default RE: Hummingbird to Raptor Flight conversion

I own both a Hummingbird CP and a Raptor30v2->converted to a 50v2. I will tell you this much my friend, CONGRATULATIONS on learning to fly a Hummingbird before you have flown a Regular sized Heli! Its no small feat!! The Raptor is a charm compared to the Hummingbird CP. It's 1000 times more stable in a hover and if the Raptor has a heading hold gyro, its not so crazy on the rudder either. I love both of my helis but I would much rather fly the Raptor. I don't think you will be in for any surprises just as long as you be careful and take it slow. Bigger helis can be VERY dangerous. The Raptor is just as much a beast as it is angel! Maybe use a training gear for the safety of the heli initally. I know my Hummingbird tends to want to kick around when I power it up but watch when you fly the Raptor that you don't give it too much rudder when moving the collective. You will notice that you don't have to "fly" the Raptor as much as you do the 'Bird. Hell, you'll probably put the Hummingbird on the shelf after you fly a Raptor!!!

Stewart
Old 08-25-2004, 03:25 AM
Keemos

i was also wondering that myself... i too started with the Hummer. I just fished building my Raptor 30v2 and i'm be making it's maiden flight tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Mr.Tango

Well good luck Keemos and take it one step at a time.

Skrielow thanks for the advice, as I said it belongs to a friend of mine so unless I pinch it I will still be flying the HB.

I have one more question if you can spare the time, the head on the Raptor looks a little different to that on the HB, what cyclic mode does one select on the transmitter will it still be 120 degree CCPM? I have looked through the instructon manual and could not get a clue as to what mode I need to use, if any.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

The Raptor 30 V2 comes with a Std. swash setup. In otherwords, turn off any CCPM mixing your transmitter may (or may not) have.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Mr.Tango

I take it that this will be the same as for the Raptor30 Mk1?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

I would assume so as the CCPM mixing is relatively new to the hobby and I've only seen it as an upgrade for the V2.

Its pretty easy to spot a CCPM setup if you've been working with helicopters for long. However, for someone new to the hobby. The easiest way to tell if the helicopter is setup for CCPM or not is to look at the number of connections to the non-rotating plate of the swash assembly. a CCPM setup will have three rods as to a non CCPM swash will have four. Also cause with CCPM its required that all three servos move at once to change collective so if by moving each servo individually, a single servo will change collective or on a CCPM setup, no single servo will change collective.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Mr.Tango

Thanks Dreddi the four connections is what we have from memory, and the HB has the 3 connections which ties up with the 120 degree CCPM, great, I'm happy and sorted, just need to get my hands on his transmitter

All the best.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Keemos

Well... I flew my Raptor today!!! Actually, just hover it for 2 full tanks to brake in the engine. As skrielow have stated earlier... Compared to my Hummer, the Raptor so tamed! It handled the 5-10 mph gust of wind easily… unlike the Hummer, I would be all over with the control. After it was fully trimmed out... it need very little control input to stay in one spot. So, after today Mr. Tango, I would have to say that you wouldn’t have any problem flying the Raptor with your Hummingbird background. It’s should be a breeze for you. You might also warn your friend ahead of time that you may not be able to give it up after flying his heli… Good luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 PM
ptarp

Awesome!!! I'm going to maiden my Rappy 50 v2 this Saturday (my first heli). I can't wait!!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:23 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learnt to fly on a fixed pitch hummingbird and then went to a raptor 50V2. I had help setting up the raptor and I gotta say if I tried to do it myself I would have struggled a bit. I suggest that if you can get an experienced rappy pilot to check things out then go that option. Otherwise take it slowly and carfully. Raptor technique website is very helpfull.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

I have two micro helicopters...basically a hummer but its called jabo. I have one stock and one with a heading hold gyro and all seperates......I am buying this raptor 30 converted to v2. I am buying it for $400 free shipping......is it worth it? It comes with everything but transmitter......thanx guys.....I am not the best hummer pilot but I can hover all day long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86878.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	168997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80106.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	168998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52420.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	168999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62122.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	169000  
Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Mr.Tango

Well guys you were not wrong!

Saturday just gone I went round to Peter’s who has the Raptor 30, it was just to set her up really. Check that the servos worked in the correct direction, reduce the pitch down to the “Beginners” setting and so on. One thing that we did have a problem with though and that was seeing at what end of travel was fully closed and fully open on the throttle, I’ll come to this later. OK, so we were happy and decided to see if we can get the engine to run up. I got Pete to hold the rota, just in case, whilst I engaged the starter and pulled the trigger, well she fired up, but she was at FULL throttle! A quick bit if thinking, I pinched the fuel line and she stopped, phew! Reversed the throttle and things were a bit calmer as the engine had a really nice low tick over. Took her into Peter’s garden and run up the rota to check the tracking, all looked very good as I got her light on the skids. Handed the transmitter to Pete so that he could feel this state as the Raptor got light on the skids, and lighter and lighter, “Pete, take it easy, if we get another gust of wind it will be airborne” I said, panicking! With that Peter opened up the throttle and did a little hop of about 6 inches, I was frantic at this stage as we did not know what state of trim she was in, or not. [:-] He pulled the throttle back after this and said “Do you want a go?” “Yes” I said, he handed me the transmitter and retreated to a safe distance.

I opened the throttle nice a gradual and let the head come up to speed. That rota is so intimidating! Got her light on the skids checked we had cyclic control and opened the throttle up into a hover. WOW I’m still shocked at how stable this bird is, and in a breeze. I still cannot believe how easy it is to fly. You guys were correct. Thanks for the re-assurance.